Pro Drum - Hollywood, CA.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Took a little ad-ven-ture to Hollywood, last week. And, took a few pictures. The Slingerland kit, was one of the last kits Buddy Rich played. The black Ludwig kit, was the first drum kit sold, in 1959, by Pro Drum. The cat who owned it, Frank Bordonaro, gave it back to Pro Drum, since he can't play anymore. The drums went full circle. With so many shops closing, Pro Drum is now the oldest drum shop in the US. At least, that's what I've been told.​

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 826
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 848
Harry, that looks like my Imperial Star next to buddy's kit.

'Cept it's a '59 Luddy. The original owner of Pro Drum, Bob Yeager, sold
that kit to Frank. Frank had helped build walls, work benches, etc., to get the shop "drum ready", and when the store finally opened, he bought the first kit out of the store. A few years ago, he brought the kit back, and gave it to Stan and Jerry. They offered to pay him, but he refused. His "present" to Pro Drum. And quite an addition to their history.​
They have a double bass Zickos kit, that belonged to Floyd Sneed (Three Dog Night), up above the front door. Heavily modified (the drums, not the front door), they have Camco lugs on them, instead of the Zickos lugs.​
Also on that shelf, a Ludwig Tequila Sunrise Vistalite kit, that once was owned by Jack Irons (RHCP).​
Then, there was the time George Harrison shopped Pro Drum. Needed to get a few items for Ringo. Yup, they are THE drum shop in Los Angeles.​

I haven't been there yet. Heard about the place of course. Someday soon I'll have to leave work early and swing by there. Sounds like a cool shop.

I haven't been there yet. Heard about the place of course. Someday soon I'll have to leave work early and swing by there. Sounds like a cool shop.

Very cool shop. But actually, the way they work in there, you might not think so upon arrival. They leave you alone and let you browse. It's definitely not like a GC or a Sam Ash where they're on top of you as soon as you come in the door. I remember it took me a while to get used to the fact that I wouldn't be there unless I knew what I wanted, so I basically had to tell them what I wanted rather than them selling me something. It's the epitome of a pro shop.

Of course, they'll help anyone who needs it and I've seen parents come in with general questions or somebody who just wanted help tuning a snare drum, and they're extremely helpful. But I'm sure there are generations of kids who only know how you're treated when you go to the big box music stores (like walking into a dealership to buy a car), so going to Pro Drum should a refreshing change of pace for alot of people.

Excited to see this place on friday, and get some thin arc spurs for 1/2 of what ebay wants.

Last edited:
'Cept it's a '59 Luddy. The original owner of Pro Drum, Bob Yeager, sold
that kit to Frank. Frank had helped build walls, work benches, etc., to get the shop "drum ready", and when the store finally opened, he bought the first kit out of the store. A few years ago, he brought the kit back, and gave it to Stan and Jerry. They offered to pay him, but he refused. His "present" to Pro Drum. And quite an addition to their history.​
They have a double bass Zickos kit, that belonged to Floyd Sneed (Three Dog Night), up above the front door. Heavily modified (the drums, not the front door), they have Camco lugs on them, instead of the Zickos lugs.​
Also on that shelf, a Ludwig Tequila Sunrise Vistalite kit, that once was owned by Jack Irons (RHCP).​
Then, there was the time George Harrison shopped Pro Drum. Needed to get a few items for Ringo. Yup, they are THE drum shop in Los Angeles.​

Thanks for the photos Harry. Definitely a tourist stop if I'm ever in L.A. So, I've never heard the George shopping for Ringo story before. Wonder why? Was this during the Beatles period? I know George lived in L.A. for awhile ("Blue Jay Way"?) and Ringo still (?) has a home there. Interesting stuff.

my favorite shop in the country

Jerry and Stan are the coolest

first time I went there was about 18 years ago so I never met Bob...but I wish I had

many good times there

Last edited:
Thanks for the photos Harry. Definitely a tourist stop if I'm ever in L.A. So, I've never heard the George shopping for Ringo story before. Wonder why? Was this during the Beatles period? I know George lived in L.A. for awhile ("Blue Jay Way"?) and Ringo still (?) has a home there. Interesting stuff.

no it wasnt during the Beatles era it was probably mid to late 70s when George went in to shop for Ringo.....maybe early 80s even

a close friend of the shop Jim Keltner asked the guys if they would stick around a bit after they close for him to bring a friend by, they agreed

he brought George by and he bought some T shirts and some small percussion items that totaled about $90 ...and at that time the owner Bob Yeager was making all employees call in ALL credit cards after being stiffed by a few customers...this was when cards were done manually .....the guys say they hated doing it since they had to call in some cards they knew would be fine....one of them being Neil Diamond....they had to call in his card while standing in front of him...hilarious

Stan says George handed him the card and he looked at Bob and Bob just shook his head as if to say....no dont worry about it

they never had to call in a card after that day

no it wasnt during the Beatles era it was probably mid to late 70s when George went in to shop for Ringo.....maybe early 80s even

a close friend of the shop Jim Keltner asked the guys if they would stick around a bit after they close for him to bring a friend by, they agreed

he brought George by and he bought some T shirts and some small percussion items that totaled about $90 ...and at that time the owner Bob Yeager was making all employees call in ALL credit cards after being stiffed by a few customers...this was when cards were done manually .....the guys say they hated doing it since they had to call in some cards they knew would be fine....one of them being Neil Diamond....they had to call in his card while standing in front of him...hilarious

Stan says George handed him the card and he looked at Bob and Bob just shook his head as if to say....no dont worry about it

they never had to call in a card after that day

Fascinating..thanks. Wuold still be neat to know exactly why George was there and not Ringo. A gift? Or why Neil Diamond would shop there. Unless Neil is also a drummer. I guess I shuold be the book or DVD that I think was released recently about the shop.

Fascinating..thanks. Wuold still be neat to know exactly why George was there and not Ringo. A gift? Or why Neil Diamond would shop there. Unless Neil is also a drummer. I guess I shuold be the book or DVD that I think was released recently about the shop.

George was buying Ringo a birthday gift and Neil was buying his son a ride cymbal

...and yeah its all in the DVD

..... DVD that I think was released recently about the shop.
Yes, they put out a 50 year anniversary DVD .... "Professional Drum Shop's 50 Years" .... a wonderful little watch .... I especially love all the anecdote's shared by some of the shops "regulars" .... great stuff.​
Two drum shop owners walk into a bar .....​

Wow, so glad I found this thread. I just moved to LA, and had never even heard of this place, let alone visited! Deffffinitely checking this out ASAP!

Wow, so glad I found this thread. I just moved to LA, and had never even heard of this place, let alone visited! Deffffinitely checking this out ASAP!

get down to Vine and say hi to Stan and Jerry.....Danny to what the heck :)

best shop on the planet and best shop owners

Very cool shop. But actually, the way they work in there, you might not think so upon arrival. They leave you alone and let you browse. It's definitely not like a GC or a Sam Ash where they're on top of you as soon as you come in the door. I remember it took me a while to get used to the fact that I wouldn't be there unless I knew what I wanted, so I basically had to tell them what I wanted rather than them selling me something. It's the epitome of a pro shop.

Of course, they'll help anyone who needs it and I've seen parents come in with general questions or somebody who just wanted help tuning a snare drum, and they're extremely helpful. But I'm sure there are generations of kids who only know how you're treated when you go to the big box music stores (like walking into a dealership to buy a car), so going to Pro Drum should a refreshing change of pace for alot of people.

Well put, Bo. It really is the best shop ever!

dead on Bo

Ill be out in LA from the 9th to the 14th.... actually going to try to stay an extra day to go to Bermudas clinic

some of us should meet up at Pro Drum and talk shop

Back