Stupid questions

Gugli

Hey im new at forum and at playing drumms, i actually haven't even bought one but since im new im going to buy a low quality drum kit xd, ''Dixon'' brand, so my questions are this:

1) What is the max wide size of a bass drum? 'Cause the door of my room is 24'' and i don't know how im going to put a bass drum bigger than that.

2) What are the most important cymbals on a drum kit if im going to play rock? is them hi-hat and crash? i don't actually know anything about drum.

1) Don't worry, an entry level kit (and most kits in general) won't have a length of more than 24".

2) If you're just getting started, some hats and a crash/ride is all you need. Or if you have a bit more cash to spare you could go with a crash and a ride separately.

1) What is the max wide size of a bass drum? 'Cause the door of my room is 24'' and i don't know how im going to put a bass drum bigger than that.

Which is why you carry your bass drum through the door sideways.

Even a 24" bass drum is usually no more than 18" deep.

Standard shell size is 22", although anywhere from 18" to 26" are common enough.

2) What are the most important cymbals on a drum kit if im going to play rock? is them hi-hat and crash? i don't actually know anything about drum.
Those two, plus a ride cymbal would be the most common set up.

Like Drumeatdrum said, even if you have a wider sized bass drum, you can flip it so that you bring it through your doorway depth-wise, as opposed to length wise (bass drums are usually wider, than longer). So even if you have a John Bonham sized bass drum (26") you can fit it though your doorway. I have a bass drum thats bigger than a regular one, but smaller than Bonzo's ( I have a 24"), and I got it through the door-way of my basement.

My suggestion is don't buy a cheap kit. It would be better to buy a used good quality kit for the same money. Cheap kits produce poor sound and it won't help your practising if you hate the sound of your drums!

Buy everything used if you can.You'll usually get better quality stuff,for less money.Try to avoid buying brass cymbals,which usually sound horrible,Cymbals made of a bronze are what you want.Decide on how much you want to spend.That will give you a better starting point.If you're set on Dixon drums,some of their new kits are actually quite good for the money according to some people I know from another drum forum,and who's opinion is well respected.Good luck,and remember to leave some money for lessons.

Steve B

Back