Alan White - Instant Karma! (John Lennon)

nocTurnal

The drums in John Lennon's classic anthem "Instant Karma!" are so good. However, I never see this song cited anywhere as a classic drum track. Is it, or not? The fills are what make this song so good. I looked up to see who the drummer was and his name is Alan White. Most of you probably know him from Yes. I wasn't familar with him before. I didn't think it was Ringo Starr playing on this song, but I thought Starr did play on Imagine. That was actually White.

Here is a really nice drum cover by a studio drummer no less: Instant Karma! - Drum Cover

i think Jim Keltner did a lot of Lennon stuff as well. all great drummers!!

I met him at a clinic years ago. He's a really nice guy and just has a wealth of stories. He told how John Lennon used to get so nervous before playing that he would be sick. Can you picture that? Made me feel a bit better about how nervous I can get. Alan has done wonderful work with Lennon and Yes.. He also signed an album for me, which I still have!

I met him at a clinic years ago. He's a really nice guy and just has a wealth of stories. He told how John Lennon used to get so nervous before playing that he would be sick. Can you picture that? Made me feel a bit better about how nervous I can get. Alan has done wonderful work with Lennon and Yes.. He also signed an album for me, which I still have!

Never would of pictured John getting nervous.

i think Jim Keltner did a lot of Lennon stuff as well. all great drummers!!

Agree - John played with some great drummers and Alan White's one of them. Also Andy Newmark ... love AN's playing in Watching the Wheels).

Coincidentally, Yes's Owner of a Lonely Heart was on the radio I was driving home tonight. AW's playing on that tune was so spot on and snappy.

Wolf, it's weird, isn't it? John always looked so relaxed and poised in the clips, (seemingly) calmly chomping away on his gum. He sure hid the nerves well.

Back