Words of encouragement

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
Do you ever give words of encouragement to someone outside of drumming or music and relate it back to your drumming or music?

One of the best I've heard is:

"Hey, Ringo wasn't the Beatles first choice to replace Pete Best and look how it turned out for HIM!"

One time I related drumming to IT work when talking to a friend who is a part time drummer. He had been complaining that IT was thankless and he felt he was stuck in the background, holding everything together but the sales guys were getting all the credit and fanfare.

I told him it's the same as drumming; we hold everything together in the background, without any thanks or praise, while the lead players and/or singers get all of the attention.

Amen to that one!

I'm also in IT and we never get any attention or exposure. When things go well we are out of sight, out of mind. If something breaks or whatever, all of a sudden we are in the crosshairs and suddenly very popular. That's why we're paid the big bucks! Haha

I'm also in IT and we never get any attention or exposure. When things go well we are out of sight, out of mind. If something breaks or whatever, all of a sudden we are in the crosshairs and suddenly very popular. That's why we're paid the big bucks! Haha

This sounds a little bit like the field goal (place) kicker in American football.

Just to clear up, Ringo actually WAS the Beatles first choice. He was a well sought after drummer on the local circuit and he even made them wait a week or so til he finished gigs with his other band.

Thanks for clearing that up opentune...I seem to have been misinformed or read something inaccurate.

The way it was presented was Ringo was indeed a local sought-after drummer but when they fired Pete Best they had several others in mind to ask first. When those guys couldn't or said no they then asked Ringo who had subbed with them before. Or so that was what I read....

Listen to the first album or two Ringo had some pretty decent chops to be fair to him, them going in for him to replace Pete Best as a first choice totally makes sense.

The way it was presented was Ringo was indeed a local sought-after drummer but when they fired Pete Best they had several others in mind to ask first. When those guys couldn't or said no they then asked Ringo who had subbed with them before. Or so that was what I read....

Hmmm, there were many local guys, but I read they were for some reason very hot on Ringo. That story (if true) came from the Beatles Biography by Bob Spitz, one of many biographies of course.

Back to your thread, I agree IT is totally like drumming.

Back