Ddrum Max vs Mapex Armory

Dsylexic

Hey:)

So yea im getting a new kit, and im kinda torn between those 2.
Can anybody help a fellow drummer out? I've heard conflicting info about em, so hopefully somebody can help shed some light over this for me.

Thanks in advance:)

I am a big Mapex fan (for a good reason), so I say go with the Armory set. Those have good hardware and edges. Either set would probably be OK. Peace and goodwill.

I know little to nothing about Mapex, and I have NO experience with the dDrum Max line. But I just purchased a Ddrum Journeyman gen2 Player, love it. Great sound. Very solid hardware. I contacted dDrum after taking delivery. A bass hoop was damaged. They sent out a replacement with little hassle (pics and receipt). So, a plus as far as customer service.

The Max line of drums looks really sweet. I don't think you'll be disappointed either way you go.

Thanks both! Im prob gonna go with Mapex! Even the shop im buying from is vouching for the Mapex kit, And i would think they would be fairly unbiased since they sell both.

Thanks both for taking the time to help:)<3

Have a nice weekend!

Thanks both! Im prob gonna go with Mapex! Even the shop im buying from is vouching for the Mapex kit, And i would think they would be fairly unbiased since they sell both.

Thanks both for taking the time to help:)<3

Have a nice weekend!

Before I purchased my dDrum kit, I did a TON of research. I saw bad review after bad comment about the company. Even mention of poor shipping from a guy that bought one of their kits through amazon. But the bad reviews seemed to stop around 2014. Probably due to lack of purchases. I got a major great deal on the kit I picked. That had more to do with why I bought it than anything. Don't get me wrong, I dig it a lot.

You certainly can't go wrong with Mapex. Enjoy!

I've tried to dig into finding out as much about the Max line as i could, but honestly i feel like it's one decent youtube video from Modern drummer, and thats it. It seems like they lag in the promotional department IMO.
While i found that the drums sounded very good in the MD video, there where hardly any info about em in their article.
I feel like Ddrum could have reached out to more reviewers like Drummers Review on Youtube, cuz Nolly is great and alot of people trust him.
I was pretty much ready to buy a Ddrum kit, but now i honestly dont have the guts to do it /:

My advice on the Armory is to shop around. I got my son one this fall for $500 as the color was discontinued. It was the 5 piece rock band. I picked Mapex because our instructor recommend it and its a great kit. Granted its for a kid but at least it will last him many years. I was looking at a lower level kit but the price was about the same since it was on clearance (our instructor and others said if I went lower I'd have to replace all the cymbals eventually so don't worry about buying a kit with cymbals and they were right). The negative to the Armory is the toms don't attach to the base so we didn't expect to have to buy stands right away to attach the toms to (I would have preferred attached Toms due to space). Its a beautiful kit in person and sounds really nice (in videos it seemed to sound even better if you swap out the heads but I figured I'd wait till he wears out the ones on there, but its been holding up really well to daily use)

The other thing that is nice about Mapex is you get a choice of snare drums and can swap out the one you get with the kit. You just email them and send yours in (they give instructions) and they send out the new one very quickly.

Ddrum has a really weird history from my point of view.

Seems like they made really nice drums. Then they made cheap drums in crazy colors. Then they stopped. Now they started making nice drums again.

They also made edrums at some point too.

Mapex Armory drums are some of the easiest drums I've ever tuned in my life. They sound great at their pricepoint. I'd go on the road with a set in a heartbeat.

Seems like they made really nice drums. Then they made cheap drums in crazy colors. Then they stopped. Now they started making nice drums again.

Mapex Armory drums are some of the easiest drums I've ever tuned in my life. They sound great at their pricepoint. I'd go on the road with a set in a heartbeat.

I nearly didn't buy the ddrum kit. I saw SO much negativity online. I took a chance on a great deal, and I'm happy.

They still make an acoustic/hybrid setup. I've also seen ddrum trigger sets and some kind of "midi" console or whatever, I have no knowledge of E-drums.

I think ddrum was actually originally only edrums at the beginning and they were part of Nord keyboards. Then they got sold and they started doing cheap acoustics as well.

For the longest time it did seem like all you saw from them was cheap junk, but it is good to see they are making good stuff.

I nearly didn't buy the ddrum kit. I saw SO much negativity online. I took a chance on a great deal, and I'm happy.

That's awesome! Sometimes you just have to take a chance. I have a friend who swears by his older-Ddrum kit.

You know, I think I may have been mis-remembering. I think it was Peace Drums that had that cheap kit in a crazy yellow color. Saw it up close, and it looked pretty bad.

That's awesome! Sometimes you just have to take a chance. I have a friend who swears by his older-Ddrum kit.

You know, I think I may have been mis-remembering. I think it was Peace Drums that had that cheap kit in a crazy yellow color. Saw it up close, and it looked pretty bad.

Lol! No worries. There are SO many brands out there, plus those that have passed by the wayside, or been bought out.

I still remember how hard all of us in school would rip on CB700 drums. They always tried to entice you with a 10 piece setup or something, but the crap would fall over or fall apart, wretched.

Hello everyone:D

Thanks for chiming in! I actually ended up with a dDrum Dios kit instead and its amazing! I've gone through everything, the BE, the hardware and the shells and everything is spot on. So either i've been extremly lucky, or they've upped their QC alot!

So yea, i couldnt be more excited!

Thanks for chiming in! I actually ended up with a dDrum Dios kit instead and its amazing! I've gone through everything, the BE, the hardware and the shells and everything is spot on. So either i've been extremly lucky, or they've upped their QC alot!

I told ya! Lol Congrats, those are very very nice looking. I don't think it's luck. They've upped their game.

Good deal. Those are great drums.

I know little to nothing about Mapex, and I have NO experience with the dDrum Max line. But I just purchased a Ddrum Journeyman gen2 Player, love it. Great sound. Very solid hardware. I contacted dDrum after taking delivery. A bass hoop was damaged. They sent out a replacement with little hassle (pics and receipt). So, a plus as far as customer service.

The Max line of drums looks really sweet. I don't think you'll be disappointed either way you go.
Yes Ddrum is the best company at treating customers awesome.

Before I purchased my dDrum kit, I did a TON of research. I saw bad review after bad comment about the company. Even mention of poor shipping from a guy that bought one of their kits through amazon. But the bad reviews seemed to stop around 2014. Probably due to lack of purchases. I got a major great deal on the kit I picked. That had more to do with why I bought it than anything. Don't get me wrong, I dig it a lot.

You certainly can't go wrong with Mapex. Enjoy!
Ddrum is probably working hard to get rid of the stigma that has haunted them for so long. I hope that is the case. Having people only talk negatively about your products online is a fantastic motivator, so I suspect they've made some big changes to their QC since then.

I inspected a Ddrum Dios kit at Guitar Center last year, and boy was I was blown away. From the quick glance at the shells, it appeared to be on par with Gretsch Renowns. Of course there's a 95% chance the shells came from the same factory in Taiwan, haha.

Ddrum is probably working hard to get rid of the stigma that has haunted them for so long. I hope that is the case. Having people only talk negatively about your products online is a fantastic motivator, so I suspect they've made some big changes to their QC since then.

I inspected a Ddrum Dios kit at Guitar Center last year, and boy was I was blown away. From the quick glance at the shells, it appeared to be on par with Gretsch Renowns. Of course there's a 95% chance the shells came from the same factory in Taiwan, haha.

I think ddrum has turned the corner. I truly do think their hardware is excellent.

There is no comparison mapex with the pathetic 1940 disgusting White front bass drum head retarded 1950s stupid colors it doesn't even compare. Ddrum Max Series Drums Maple ? and Alder make a awesome sound.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200523-130345.png
    Screenshot_20200523-130345.png
    672.3 KB · Views: 8
Back