DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-16-2019, 01:58 AM
beeter beeter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 101
Default Do you own a bop kit?

I just saw a Sonor martini at guitar center in champagne galaxy sparkle color. It's on clearance and will be drooling all over it someday once price drops down further.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-16-2019, 02:09 AM
Lee-Bro's Avatar
Lee-Bro Lee-Bro is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Ft. Thomas, KY
Posts: 384
Default Re: Do you own a bop kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeter View Post
I just saw a Sonor martini at guitar center in champagne galaxy sparkle color. It's on clearance and will be drooling all over it someday once price drops down further.
I have a Sonar Safari kit. You'll be pleased.

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-16-2019, 02:22 AM
beeter beeter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 101
Default Re: Do you own a bop kit?

I bet. I just tried different drum sets and found that a Ludwig has some of the deepest sounding bass drums I've heard, sounds almost like an electronic kit. Maybe that's how the store model tuned it? The bass drum sounded musical and resonated deep. I liked it. It wasn't the Questlove kit. I think it was a $799 kit.
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:05 AM
No Way Jose
This message has been deleted by No Way Jose.
  #4  
Old 04-16-2019, 04:07 AM
Rattlin' Bones's Avatar
Rattlin' Bones Rattlin' Bones is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,088
Default Re: Do you own a bop kit?

Yes. Sonor AQ2 with 14" kick. Only kit I gig with anymore. Sold everything else because this works for all our gigs. For the two gigs in these pics I even left the floor tom at home. Bop-ity-bitty-bop.
Attached Images
   
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-16-2019, 04:13 AM
IBitePrettyHard's Avatar
IBitePrettyHard IBitePrettyHard is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 249
Default Re: Do you own a bop kit?

The Sonor bop kits are great. The Martini is a little on the small side though. A ton of fun to play, don't get me wrong...it'd be a great practice kit...but not as practical for anything but quiet jazz combo or electronic music gigs.

If you can get it under $400, that's still a great deal and I'd be tempted, even in those small sizes.

But I can't help but think that a Breakbeats kit would suit the role of a bop kit better. It has drum sizes that are more practical, and will work in more situations. And it sounds great too, minus the snare.

EDIT: But Rattlin' Bones is making it work, so what do I know, lol.
And he's playing the AQ2 version of the Martini which is Maple, not Poplar. So I don't know which version you're considering.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-16-2019, 07:27 AM
SEA's Avatar
SEA SEA is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 41
Default Re: Do you own a bop kit?

I have a Sonor Bop, and a Sonor Martini. I've had no problems with either, and they're both good kits. Caveat being that I play primarily jazz, and commentary is with that in mind.

The Bop is a good all-around kit, well-built, and sounds fine. I use that for moderate to large-ish venues. The Martini is also well-built, but definitely on the small side. I tune my drums (high to low) snare, rack, floor, bass - and found that tuning the rack lower than the snare was kinda difficult... possible, but took some doing. But overall the drums sound good. I use Martini for very small places where we get stuffed in a corner and there's barely room for say, a trio. I also find the bass drum is great to take along for situations where I just need a snare and bass, and hats and a ride. Super easy to carry around, and the riser works well.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-16-2019, 01:45 PM
Bonzo_CR's Avatar
Bonzo_CR Bonzo_CR is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: A Brit living in Switzerland
Posts: 847
Default Re: Do you own a bop kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeter View Post
I bet. I just tried different drum sets and found that a Ludwig has some of the deepest sounding bass drums I've heard, sounds almost like an electronic kit. Maybe that's how the store model tuned it? The bass drum sounded musical and resonated deep. I liked it. It wasn't the Questlove kit. I think it was a $799 kit.
I do have a Breakbeats kit and the kick is surprisingly deep sounding, especially for a 16". I never thought of it as a Bop kit per se, just a kit that's very handy for small stages.

Here's an example (not playing Bop, but at a rock gig in a small venue):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juGzheC2NLY
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-16-2019, 02:01 PM
CompactDrums's Avatar
CompactDrums CompactDrums is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Toronto burbs, Canada
Posts: 691
Default Re: Do you own a bop kit?

I have no less than four actual Bop kits. (meaning 18/14/12 sizes)

I also have a couple "mini bop" kits with 14 and 16 bass drums. I very rarely play a larger bass drum than 18" and never larger than 20"
__________________
http://compactdrums.com/

http://walopus.com/
Gloriously Gleaming Drum Wrap
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-16-2019, 02:26 PM
beyondbetrayal beyondbetrayal is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: canada
Posts: 2,004
Default Re: Do you own a bop kit?

I've owned a Sonor Bob and a Ludwig BreakBeats kit (currently)

I have to say they are a TON of fun to play. I sit over top of it and can shred on it. Plus the sound is fantastic for an inexpensive kit.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-16-2019, 02:35 PM
trickg's Avatar
trickg trickg is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 609
Default Re: Do you own a bop kit?

I've got a Gretsch Catalina Jazz Bop kit. It's a fun little kit and easy to move around. Gotta love that 18" kick. With that said, I'm not a jazz player - I got that kit to use in a church where sound is always a factor due to playing in a traditional church sanctuary designed for organ, piano and choir, and I got it with the idea that it was going to push a bit less volume than my big thick-shelled maple kit. I think I did cut down on the volume some, but I still have to use rods, and I'd like to have a bit bigger sound out of the kick, and in hindsight I wish I'd have gotten the 20" kick instead of the 18.

And with that in mind, if there's anyone who wants to do a straight swap, my 18" Catalina bop kick for a 20 of the same color - gloss crimson burst - I'd be down for that. I'd even include the Ahead Armor bag I got for it.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-16-2019, 03:54 PM
CompactDrums's Avatar
CompactDrums CompactDrums is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Toronto burbs, Canada
Posts: 691
Default Re: Do you own a bop kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickg View Post
I've got a Gretsch Catalina Jazz Bop kit. It's a fun little kit and easy to move around. Gotta love that 18" kick. With that said, I'm not a jazz player - I got that kit to use in a church where sound is always a factor due to playing in a traditional church sanctuary designed for organ, piano and choir, and I got it with the idea that it was going to push a bit less volume than my big thick-shelled maple kit. I think I did cut down on the volume some, but I still have to use rods, and I'd like to have a bit bigger sound out of the kick, and in hindsight I wish I'd have gotten the 20" kick instead of the 18.

And with that in mind, if there's anyone who wants to do a straight swap, my 18" Catalina bop kick for a 20 of the same color - gloss crimson burst - I'd be down for that. I'd even include the Ahead Armor bag I got for it.
I've never had an issue getting a big sound out of a 18X14. Honestly, I can't say a 20 sounds any bigger at all.

Here's my formula:
Reso head: Any cheap flimsy head with an added layer or two of mac-tac or similar adhesive backed sheet.

Batter head: I prefer coated for the head itself, I add a ring inside it cut from another 18" head. I alos add a ring of that fluffy filter material to the inside of the ring cut from a head.

Nothing inside the drum and absolutely no port in the reso.

Reso tuned as low as it will go without flapping

Batter tuned a bit higher... go for a good feel.
__________________
http://compactdrums.com/

http://walopus.com/
Gloriously Gleaming Drum Wrap
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-16-2019, 04:08 PM
Morrisman's Avatar
Morrisman Morrisman is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: South Australia
Posts: 1,669
Default Re: Do you own a bop kit?

I have two 18Ē kits and two 20Ē kits.

The weakest bass drum is the Gretsch Cat Jazz, but this kit is always micíd so I havenít tweaked it to try and get more volume.
My cheap Yamaha Rydeen bop has an awesome bass drum, tuned low with an eMad2 it sounds like a deep, punchy rock kit, just softer. Perfect for cover band gigs in small venues.

Both my 20 bass drums sound bigger and meatier than the 18ís. One needs a kickport though - the thick shells sounds a bit high pitched and clicky without one, but with the kickport I can play rock gigs without a mic.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-16-2019, 04:18 PM
Lee-Bro's Avatar
Lee-Bro Lee-Bro is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Ft. Thomas, KY
Posts: 384
Default Re: Do you own a bop kit?

Just wanted to add that my kit is 10" 14" and 16". I do have an internally mounted Audix D6 in the kick and have no issues getting a good sound out of it. We play Motown, funk, and dance covers and gigs where the kick isn't ran through the PA, that 16" bass drum can sound a little thin. But I've put thicker heads on all the drums and both sides of the kick + the vinyl graphic on the front has added a lot of low end and dampening.

If I were to play jazz, I'd definitely go back to single ply heads on the toms and front kick.

*and not too brag (too much), I got the entire kit for $150 new from an inventory liquidator.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-16-2019, 04:36 PM
trickg's Avatar
trickg trickg is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 609
Default Re: Do you own a bop kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompactDrums View Post
I've never had an issue getting a big sound out of a 18X14. Honestly, I can't say a 20 sounds any bigger at all.

Here's my formula:
Reso head: Any cheap flimsy head with an added layer or two of mac-tac or similar adhesive backed sheet.

Batter head: I prefer coated for the head itself, I add a ring inside it cut from another 18" head. I alos add a ring of that fluffy filter material to the inside of the ring cut from a head.

Nothing inside the drum and absolutely no port in the reso.

Reso tuned as low as it will go without flapping

Batter tuned a bit higher... go for a good feel.
That's about how I've got it now - batter head is tuned higher than you'd think it would be, and it seems counter-intuitive, but with a slightly higher tuning it brings out of more tone of the drum, which helps it to sound bigger.

My 18" kick is not a small sounding kick - I just think a 20" kick would have more depth than the 18, much the same way a 16" floor tom has more depth. It's a matter of physics - the 20x16 kick has nearly 1500 cubic inches more volume than the 18x14, and that definitely changes things.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-16-2019, 04:50 PM
CompactDrums's Avatar
CompactDrums CompactDrums is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Toronto burbs, Canada
Posts: 691
Default Re: Do you own a bop kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickg View Post
That's about how I've got it now - batter head is tuned higher than you'd think it would be, and it seems counter-intuitive, but with a slightly higher tuning it brings out of more tone of the drum, which helps it to sound bigger.

My 18" kick is not a small sounding kick - I just think a 20" kick would have more depth than the 18, much the same way a 16" floor tom has more depth. It's a matter of physics - the 20x16 kick has nearly 1500 cubic inches more volume than the 18x14, and that definitely changes things.
It's not all about CUI... For example an 18X14 sounds punchier and "bigger" than an 18X16
__________________
http://compactdrums.com/

http://walopus.com/
Gloriously Gleaming Drum Wrap
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-16-2019, 05:15 PM
EhhSoCheap's Avatar
EhhSoCheap EhhSoCheap is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 59
Default Re: Do you own a bop kit?

I have Tama Rockstars from around 2000, and converted the 18x16 floor tom to a kick drum and I love it. Like others have said, I donít imagine Iíll ever go back to a kick bigger than 20Ē. The compactness of the bop-sized kit is just so much fun.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-16-2019, 07:07 PM
trickg's Avatar
trickg trickg is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 609
Default Re: Do you own a bop kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompactDrums View Post
It's not all about CUI... For example an 18X14 sounds punchier and "bigger" than an 18X16
Does it? Do you have anything concrete to back that statement up? Would that statement hold up all things being equal, same heads tuned to the same tension?

What is it with people wanting to argue on here these days?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-16-2019, 07:35 PM
CompactDrums's Avatar
CompactDrums CompactDrums is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Toronto burbs, Canada
Posts: 691
Default Re: Do you own a bop kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickg View Post
Does it? Do you have anything concrete to back that statement up? Would that statement hold up all things being equal, same heads tuned to the same tension?

What is it with people wanting to argue on here these days?
Does it? - Yes
Do you have anything concrete to back that statement up? - No
Would that statement hold up all things being equal, same heads tuned to the same tension? - Not sure, but I believe so, although the exact same might not be ideal for both sizes.
What is it with people wanting to argue on here these days? - Just take your Iron supplements and I'm sure you'll argue less with people.
__________________
http://compactdrums.com/

http://walopus.com/
Gloriously Gleaming Drum Wrap
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-16-2019, 08:35 PM
blinky's Avatar
blinky blinky is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sweden
Posts: 386
Default Re: Do you own a bop kit?

I have Gretsch New Classic, 12" 14" &18" and they're great. Build quality and soundwise. They didn't cut it with the rock band I'm playing with though, bought another kit for that, but for lower volume jazz playing they are as good as they get.
__________________
I think, therefore I am, I think...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-16-2019, 10:33 PM
beeter beeter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 101
Default Re: Do you own a bop kit?

Some rock and metal are on the jazzy side though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky View Post
I have Gretsch New Classic, 12" 14" &18" and they're great. Build quality and soundwise. They didn't cut it with the rock band I'm playing with though, bought another kit for that, but for lower volume jazz playing they are as good as they get.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-16-2019, 10:36 PM
beeter beeter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 101
Default Re: Do you own a bop kit?

I too have a Tama Rockstar, maybe doing what you did is a good idea. At first, I thought the Sonor Martini's bass drum was the floor tom since it wasn't displayed but stacked on top of each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EhhSoCheap View Post
I have Tama Rockstars from around 2000, and converted the 18x16 floor tom to a kick drum and I love it. Like others have said, I don’t imagine I’ll ever go back to a kick bigger than 20”. The compactness of the bop-sized kit is just so much fun.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-16-2019, 10:40 PM
beeter beeter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 101
Default Re: Do you own a bop kit?

Was the Sonor Martini originally $599?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBitePrettyHard View Post
The Sonor bop kits are great. The Martini is a little on the small side though. A ton of fun to play, don't get me wrong...it'd be a great practice kit...but not as practical for anything but quiet jazz combo or electronic music gigs.

If you can get it under $400, that's still a great deal and I'd be tempted, even in those small sizes.

But I can't help but think that a Breakbeats kit would suit the role of a bop kit better. It has drum sizes that are more practical, and will work in more situations. And it sounds great too, minus the snare.

EDIT: But Rattlin' Bones is making it work, so what do I know, lol.
And he's playing the AQ2 version of the Martini which is Maple, not Poplar. So I don't know which version you're considering.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-16-2019, 10:43 PM
beeter beeter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 101
Default Re: Do you own a bop kit?

I might get a tuner then because my Tama Rockstar's bass drum isn't resonating that deep low tone that I heard AND felt when trying out a Ludwig drum set. So it's all in the tuning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrisman View Post
I have two 18Ē kits and two 20Ē kits.

The weakest bass drum is the Gretsch Cat Jazz, but this kit is always micíd so I havenít tweaked it to try and get more volume.
My cheap Yamaha Rydeen bop has an awesome bass drum, tuned low with an eMad2 it sounds like a deep, punchy rock kit, just softer. Perfect for cover band gigs in small venues.

Both my 20 bass drums sound bigger and meatier than the 18ís. One needs a kickport though - the thick shells sounds a bit high pitched and clicky without one, but with the kickport I can play rock gigs without a mic.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-16-2019, 10:55 PM
yammyfan's Avatar
yammyfan yammyfan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 214
Default Re: Do you own a bop kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeter View Post
I might get a tuner then because my Tama Rockstar's bass drum isn't resonating that deep low tone that I heard AND felt when trying out a Ludwig drum set. So it's all in the tuning?
No guarantee that it will work for you but I tune my 18" kick drum to finger tight and no more. Just enough to keep the claws from rattling and the heads just above wrinkling. Worth a try!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com