Sick of ride cymbal ringing !!

Mukund

Hey everyone
I know this is common problem but seriously i am sick of it
When playing with a band,well its less but when i am practising
or doing a solo
it sickens me
any help on how to stop this annoying ringing???

That's really what a ride cymbal does... If you want something with a shorter decay, maybe use your hihats?

You can always throw some duct tape on the bottom of it, or get a dryer and/or thinner ride, but in general those suckers are designed to ring.

This should solve your "problem."

Attachments

• 2325-1486-thickbox_0.jpg
    2325-1486-thickbox_0.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 6,376
Don't hit it as hard.

You can use a small amount of tape. Tape has the risk of leaving risidue though.

Another option is moon gel.

Of course you can simply let that ride ring out. When you remove the ring of a ride you also remove many of the pleasant tones it produces. So like the others I'd suggest you embrace it.

If you are looking for just the "ping" without the overtones....try a "flat" ride....I have a couple and they are great for a controlled sound.

Thanks guys :)

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 20 characters.

Hey everyone
I know this is common problem but seriously i am sick of it
When playing with a band,well its less but when i am practising
or doing a solo
it sickens me
any help on how to stop this annoying ringing???

Thats what cymbals do.Didn't you ever notice,that when you're watching a drum instructional vid,that after the playing stops,that the cymbals continue to ring,and the player usually has to mute them with his hands?

Your cymbals are no different.Cymbals wouldn't make the sound that they do,without vibration,and ring.If fact,while you're playing the cymbal.......its ringing.Your drums are doing the same thing.You just don't notice it as much.

Don't get sick over it.Its is part of REAL LIVE drums sound like.:)

Steve B

The ring is a beautiful clean sound when playing with other instruments over the top of it, but if it is ringing to much I wouldn't advise anything drastic. I have an extra felt pinning my ride down, that's about it. I wouldn't dull it out more than that. Personal opinion.

Cybals are supposed to ring, however...

A little tape under the bell is a normal thing to do.

They even make special cymbal dampers, like Moonegel, for cymbals.

Now if the character of the cymbal doesn't jive with the music, it's simply the wrong cymbal, or stick, or technique or whatever for the job.

What is the cymbal?(Manufacturer/model and size)

I must agree that how you play it can control much of the sustain.

One technique is frequently referred to as "dry sticking"...kind of the opposite of staccato...

..where you leave the stick on the cymbal after the hit with enough pressure to absorb energy causing the sustain....removing the stick at the interval that, through experience and your ear, will give you the sustain you want.

That can get droll...and it forces a certain sound out of the cymbal you may not want....but its a great skill to develop!

I jumped ship from a 22" Zildjian 1970's Medium range Ride to a bright 18" Zildjian A Series Ride Cymbal a few years ago...now I have to conciously generate significant sustain instead of the opposite. I really like the sound of the 18" Zildjian A Series Ride Cymbal I found even compared to more expensive Rides on display in the stores I frequented...I didnt expect that at all...

E drums stop everything from ringing/buzzing/resonating excessively.

*runs for cover* :)

No need to run for cover at all. You actually make a good point. Sadly I think it's what many younger or less experienced players actually expect to hear from a drum kit. Drums and cymbals don't ring out excessively on recordings....they're gated, muted, processed and eq'd into submission. I guess the theory is, why should they ring or resonate in real life? May not be the case with the OP, but it wouldn't be the first time a real drum or cymbal sound was disliked due to nothing more than a wrong perception of what they actually sound like in the first place. :)

My question is, if you didn't like the sound of the cymbal, why did you purchase it? Did you listen to it before you bought it? There are many different types of ride cymbals with varying degrees of the qualities some people like and others don't. Listen to some others and pick something you really like and can live with.

Dennis

Don't discount that perhaps you're focusing on it too much? If you tunnel vision on something it can take on greater proportions than it really is. Try recording yourself and see if it bothers you then. If so, change rides, you don't like yours.

Maybe the problem is that you hate your ride and need a new one. You can just gaffa tape the bottom though, that will work.

Maybe the problem is that you hate your ride and need a new one. You can just gaffa tape the bottom though, that will work.
^ I would wager that you're playing a B8 style ride or one that is very heavy. These will sometimes have a long metallic "ping" that could be offensive to you. Try a lighter cymbal of perhaps a better quality range?

Back