Need inspiration, I've hit a wall

stillgroovin

Im going to write this with the hope it doesn't sound like whining. I'm a self taught drummer thats been playing for over 25 years. I took a hiatius from drumming while I was in the Air Force and in the last 5 years. got back into the instrument I love hot and heavy. I bought a kit that I could afford and a great snare along with Paiste cymbals. I am good but have hit a brick wall. I cant affors lesssons from a pro and feel that i have learned all I can from DVD's but just cant break that almost self taught barrier to really good. Im too old to go out on the band circuit again but want more out of the instrument. Am I making any sense? Been so long since i giged with other musicians that my confidence is shot. besides, who wants a 50YO drummer now anyhow. Just sayin.......

check out stanton moore's "take it to the streets" dvds, it's inspiration on camera! benny greb's, "the language of drumming" is phenomenal. billy martin put out a dvd recently, "life on drums". he really pushes the boundaries, but not in terms of technicality and complexity, rather, through an organic approach to soloing; he delves into self-improvement via the use of internal communication and examination… meditative shit, man.

Lots of musicians have dropped their instruments for years or decades due to careers outside music, family matters etc only to pick them up again when time permits. In my
60's I know lots of guys that are playing again after a hiatus of sorts. I quit playing drums
for 29 years and didn't own any during that time. I'm now playing again in several small jazz
combos for audiences. I never expected this....anything can happen...play when you can.
Now that I have the time I practice a lot, as much as I can. I did stay physically fit during those off years and that has been a huge factor in my being able to play again.

I'm 49 and where i live there are plenty of hobby bands , who gig, with people my age and older. In fact, drummers are often sought after, to fit the agist and aging guitarists and bassists. Its not all about technique and a bar to reach, its about laying down a groove with a band.
I say...get out and play with others, apply your talent and have some fun with it...especially if you've "hit a wall with self taught DVD's".

If there is a specific technique you are having problems with work on it, but otherwise stop trying so hard to play better and just do your thing it'll flow more naturally.

oh, and forgot to mention my favorite tactic: STRIPPING DOWN!!! kick snare and hats, that's it! you'll come up with all sorts of ways to expand the kit's tones, which will enhance your creativity and originality as well as your solidity and musicality

check out stanton moore's "take it to the streets" dvds, it's inspiration on camera! benny greb's, "the language of drumming" is phenomenal. billy martin put out a dvd recently, "life on drums". he really pushes the boundaries, but not in terms of technicality and complexity, rather, through an organic approach to soloing; he delves into self-improvement via the use of internal communication and examination… meditative shit, man.

THe language of drumming snet me on a real long , NEW way, of looking and accepting ideas.

Tommy Igoe's groove essentials was great.

I say find some music you think you would hate, or even you KIND of like, and try to hear WHY the drums are that way.

You MIGHT not like it, but check out "The buena Vista Social club" ....it's cuban music that was almost lost forever. It was an inspiring movie.

What got you into drums initially? Find that, revisit.

I would jam with anyone, any age, as long as their heart was in it, and they played well.

oh, and forgot to mention my favorite tactic: STRIPPING DOWN!!! kick snare and hats, that's it! you'll come up with all sorts of ways to expand the kit's tones, which will enhance your creativity and originality as well as your solidity and musicality

For a year once I got in the OP shoes, it was hi hat, changable snares, bass drum, and ride. I played with towels ont he snare, hit the snare with all types of things.

Found and created new percussion to augment my lack of "real" percussion. I went from a six peice to a two peice.

Garbage cans, found sounds, hitting dumspters, people chest with a tambourine.

I do like Einsteurzende Neaubauten, so maybe that takes part in it....the found sounds thing. I also really got into samples, recording me playing different drums, and looping...

Find a new way to look at it.

I definitely get what you are saying and I think it's fairly normal for every musician to go through uninspired periods. I'm still pretty young (22) and almost all of last year I lacked any inspiration. I wasn't really in a band, I was living in an apartment so I could only play maybe once a week. But the worst was that I was sort of at a comfortable level in my playing, I would consider myself a fairly decent player and I lost all drive to try and improve myself. I know this isn't great advice but you need to find your own way to improve your motivation. I got more motivated when my band finally came together and I was wanting to play more and improve for the band. There are plenty of people your age who want to be in a band. Check out craigslist, I see tons of ads for musicians around your age. But whatever it is, maybe even going to a concert and seeing a good drummer perform, something has to strike up that inspiration again.

In general, listen some music you NEVER would listen to regularly and just play along...I found this opens up creativity for me...

All great advice guys!!!! I agree that I need to play with other musicians again. I was heavily involved in the band scene where I grew up in NY back in the day and I need that again. Not sure how the wife feels about this but at least it will give us some place to go together!!!!! I still remember lugging my kit around though, not cool memories there.....
Thanks again all...

To get more out of your instrument, you have to put more in, bottom line.

A lone drummer is kinda sad. Drummers need others more than any other instrument.
Instead of trying to get more from the drums all by yourself, why not go public and use them to give a great beat to others? You probably already have those skills, and I guarantee that it will be more fun. I'm 53 and in the best playing situations of my life. I cannot express to you how wonderful it feels when good musicians want you to be playing with them.

Im too old to go out on the band circuit again but want more out of the instrument. Am I making any sense? Been so long since i giged with other musicians that my confidence is shot. besides, who wants a 50YO drummer now anyhow. Just sayin.......
Complete & utter bollocks! Get your wingeing self doubting posterior out there & find some guys to jam with. Screw DVD's, screw technique, just make music. Drums are a crap & mostly boring solo instrument. Go get yourself some fun, & never come on here using your age, self doubt, and sorry ass ageist laziness as an excuse again :)

...who wants a 50YO drummer now anyhow. Just sayin.......

You're right, who want to play with a 50 years old drummer...

... you know, drummers like Simon Phillips, Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta, Billy Cobham, Peter Erskine, Steve Jordan, Ian Paice, Tommy Aldridge, Frank Beard, David Garibaldi, Neil Peart, Max Weinberg, just to name a few, they're all really struggling to play because of their age.... no one wants to play with them anymore. Just sayin...

Come on man, be realistic, just get out there and find somebody to play with, age has nothing to do with it, I've seen bands with huge age gap between members, look at the last combo of the Jeff Beck band :)

Complete & utter bollocks! Get your wingeing self doubting posterior out there & find some guys to jam with. Screw DVD's, screw technique, just make music. Drums are a crap & mostly boring solo instrument. Go get yourself some fun, & never come on here using your age, self doubt, and sorry ass ageist laziness as an excuse again :)

Hey bro, thanks for KEEPIN it SIMPLE" guess I was kind whining LOL!!! Wont happen again!!!!!!

You're right, who want to play with a 50 years old drummer...

... you know, drummers like Simon Phillips, Steve Gadd, Vinnie Colaiuta, Billy Cobham, Peter Erskine, Steve Jordan, Ian Paice, Tommy Aldridge, Frank Beard, David Garibaldi, Neil Peart, Max Weinberg, just to name a few, they're all really struggling to play because of their age.... no one wants to play with them anymore. Just sayin...

Come on man, be realistic, just get out there and find somebody to play with, age has nothing to do with it, I've seen bands with huge age gap between members, look at the last combo of the Jeff Beck band :)

Yeah, that was kind of a dumb line, wasn't it!

Back