A better deal

D2 Drummer

Hello,

I’ve been playing an entry level DDrum d2 drum set, for about two years now. I purchased it for about $400. I’ve done some upgrades in parts, but it’s still not what I’m looking for. So, i’m about to purchase a different drum set, and sell what i have now for some extra cash.

I play mostly jazz, some pop and a little bit of soft rock, so i am looking for something with smaller sizes. I want a kit that is compact and easy to transport. Most importantly, i want heavy duty hardware that's built to last for years to come, without the need of frequently replacing parts. I want a drum set with an expressive, but controlled tone. Great for the studio, or in my case the basement.

I want a warmer tone, with some attack "punchy" and little resonance. I'm not looking for a dead sound, but I don't want shells that sing for a very long time.

Here are my options:
Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz ($750 - 800)
18”x14”
14”x14”
12”x8”

Mapex Meridian Maple ($994.40)
20”x16”
14”x14”
10”x8”

Which do you think is a better buy?

I think that both of those kits are great.
Its a tough call but I would lean toward the Mapex.
I like the Mapex hardware slightly better.

the mapex...I see tons of them listed on ebay with free shipping for $ 720. Gretsch put out tmany, many of the cat jazz kits, so the used market for them is good...always on graigslist. but new I'd say the mapex for sure.

I think that both of those kits are great.
Its a tough call but I would lean toward the Mapex.
I like the Mapex hardware slightly better.

I agree with the hardware. I've tried both kits, but mainly the club jazz. Real nice sound from the mahogany shells, but when it comes to hardware, they could be better. especially the tom mount and bass riser.

Getting the Mapex will eliminate the need for a riser, and their hardware seem a little more sturdy & durable

the mapex...I see tons of them listed on ebay with free shipping for $ 720. Gretsch put out tmany, many of the cat jazz kits, so the used market for them is good...always on graigslist. but new I'd say the mapex for sure.

Yeah, i just want to go new, because i don't want any problems with bearing edges or breakage

That's right the Mapex Meridian Jazz has a 20 inch bass drum.
The Meridian Manhattan series has an 18 inch bass.
I have a Saturn Manhattan and I really like it.

Used shouldn't be a problem.
If you find a good used kit then you will not have a problem with edges, etc.

Back