Questions about double bass setups?

drummingman

Gold Member
I have been thinking about switching over to playing a double bass kit. I have always played a single bass with a double pedal. My bass size has always been a 22 in diameter.

In switching to a double bass setup I would be switching to 2 20 inch diameter bass drums that way it would not push my floor tom and hi hat stand to far out. I would be using a legless hi hat stand clamped to the left bass drum.

My questions are how far will it push my floor tom out using the 20 inch double bass setup compared to how far the floor tom was pushed out using the 22 inch diameter single bass setup? Just to say I keep my floor tom in really close with my 22 inch single bass setup. I have the same question when it comes to my hi hat stand being that I would be using a legless hi hat stand clamped to the left bass drum.

I just want see if I can get the floor tom and the hi hat stand in the same position using a double bass kit using a smaller diameter bass drum that I get using a single bass kit with a larger diameter bass drum?

The thing that has got me looking at a double bass setup is the symmetry of that setup. I'm going to be buying a new kit over the next few months and I just want to get a setup I know I'm going to be happy with.

I've always advocated that if you wanna play double bass - get two bass drums! It's always a classic look to me and you never have to deal with one pedal feeling weaker than the primary. Although now you get into using a truck or a big van for everything, but that should be the only disadvantage.

When I attempted double bass in the dark recesses of my past, because of the symmetry, I don't think it's possible to get it exactly like what you're used to. You will have to adjust to things being slightly farther away. At least you're having the hi-hat clamped to the left bass drum - that's smart. Neil Peart just had his hi-hat standing alone a bit far away from where it normally would be for guys not using a second bass drum back in the old days, and he did OK. When I sat behind a double kick, I discovered just how much I leaned to my right (I'm left-handed) when I didn't play double kick. So that was something I had to correct - it ultimately helped out my back too.

But if you want to see classic double bass drumming, try YouTubing stuff from Tommy Aldridge - the man is the quintessential rock n roll double bass player! Good luck in your quest!

Assuming you're playing a right handed kit, your floor tom on the right side of the kit should be unaffected by adding a 2nd bass drum to the left side of your kit.

If I'm playing singe bass or double bass, my floor tom doesn't move.

Now, the hi-hat stand is another matter.....

Your floor tom will stay in the same spot. Your hats will be a little further away from you. It takes some getting used to.

What Bo said...Tommy Aldridge. He just about invented hard rock double bass. A very nice guy as well. I met him a few years ago at his clinic.

What Bo said...Tommy Aldridge. He just about invented hard rock double bass. A very nice guy as well. I met him a few years ago at his clinic.

Off topic, but I also think Tommy Aldridge ages well as a rock star. For some reason when I saw him a couple of years ago, obviously older but still thin and with the big hair (and blue jeans with the leather jacket) he just looked like Tommy Aldridge to me, kinda' timeless. On the other hand, when I saw other aging rock stars (who I won't mention by name) obviously attempting to hold on to their passed rock star looks, I always wonder why they don't just grow up and move on!

It's probably because Tommy is such a nice guy. He judged me at a GC Drum-off years ago and said some really nice things about my playing after the show. The man is sincere.

Since you're adding a second BD your set up will be spread out a little wider than you are used to. You will be siting right in the middle of two BD's so it will not feel the same as your single set up.

It depends on how close you can get the two BDs were you feel comfortable and how much they are angled. I can get my FT's and hats pretty close to me. I use a legless Hi-hat stand also. It really helps get the hats closer to you. It will feel a little strange at first but you will get use to it really fast.

Foot print is a foot print.
Meaning....you're already playing a double pedal....why would adding another kick interfere with that foot print?
When you look at your hi hat stand next to the slave pedal...where is it and why would it be in a different place?
For instance....look at my set up here...
http://www.derekroddy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=17687&p=232015#p232015

Does the hi hat look to be very far away from that "left" or (slave) pedal?

If you play your hi hat under your left slave (like some drummers do) I could see it being a problem but, if you're playing the hi hat to the left of the left pedal, shouldn't be a problem....just make sure you get a hi hat to bass drum attachment and you're good to go.

D.

Im more opposed to double bass setups for the sole purpose of packing it in and out of gigs, i have seen some double bass setups with pretty much the same size footprint as my single bass kit. You can make it work several ways.

In my opinion its just one less big drum to haul around :)

Back