Which book or method to start learning 4 way independence?

dpk204

For someone who wants to start learning limb independence, which book or method do you start with? I picked up a copy of 4 way coordination and the first page is very hard. I can't play it steady for a few minutes without messing up the left and right foot.

If you can play a book like Realistic Rock, what should you do to learn limb independence?

I would think Gary Chester's The New Breed is ideal for independence. It really makes all your limbs do different things, plus at one point you start using your voice too. I also went through Chuck Flores' Independence for the Beginner long ago.

You must go slow. It'll be like learning to walk again.

The four way coordination book is a complete headf**k, but keep on working at it very slowly because it is worth it. I have never tried Gary Chester but it seems to be a popular book on this forum. Jim Chapin's 'Advanced techniques for the Modern Drummer' is excellent and has helped me no end.

Hi guys, I actually initially bought the Gary Chester book on Amazon but ended up returning it for 4 way coordination because I couldn't understand it.

If I can rephrase my initial question. "What method did you use for learning limb independence."

Book or no book, I just want to know how to go about it.

Hi guys, I actually initially bought the Gary Chester book on Amazon but ended up returning it for 4 way coordination because I couldn't understand it.

If I can rephrase my initial question. "What method did you use for learning limb independence."

The basis of the Gary Chester book is simple: you learn how to play the patterns at the beginning of the book, and then you read the following exercises with whatever limb is left free that isn't involved in the patterns in the beginning of the book. I thought it was a pretty straight-forward explanation of how to approach the book. Because the patterns get more and more complex, and you're engaging your mind my reading the exercises on the following pages while playing the patterns.

Well, if you want to learn 4-way coordination, you could get yourself a book on simple latin rhythms too. Each limb is doing something independent from the others in order to create the beat, and if you can sing stuff over that then you'll be even better off. And you'll be learning useful beats to use on a gig.

First, the word independence is misleading. I prefer "coordination", and anything you play with more than one limb uses it. The way you develop it is you practice whatever you want, and pay attention to the placement of your notes. Make sure the unisons sound together, and that the sequences of notes are in the correct rhythm. That's it.

If you really want to try to develop coordination in the abstract, 4WC is the book for you. Just follow the instructions and work your way through. No, it's not easy or particularly fun.

Nearly every other book involving very advanced coordination is in the service of learning a particular musical style- New Breed for fusion, Conversations in Clave for Afro-Cuban, Syncopation maybe along with The Drummer's Complete Vocabulary for jazz.

What do you want to do with your 4 way independence? Do you have a style in mind?

If not you can just take a book like stick control and play lines in tandem between hands and feet. Play lesson one on page 5 with your hands with lesson 3 of page 2 with your feet.

Or get a good teacher.

Get Jim Chapins book. If you get all the way through, you will have achieved 4 way independance.

It depends on what kind of four way independence you're looking for. Double kick is very different from jazz, is very different from Afro-Cuban, is very different from multi-pedal orchestrations, and so on.

The New Breed is great for any kind of straight style playing. Thomas Lang's Creative Coordination system is great for double kick and multi-pedal setups. John Riley's The Art of Bop Drumming is great for jazz.

-sheldon

For someone who wants to start learning limb independence, which book or method do you start with? I picked up a copy of 4 way coordination and the first page is very hard. I can't play it steady for a few minutes without messing up the left and right foot.

If you can play a book like Realistic Rock, what should you do to learn limb independence?

100% going with both john riley's books art of bop and beyond bop drumming. even if you have no intention of being a jazz drummer. fantastic writing and exercises to help get you there. much much much better than chapin's book in my opinion. much better.

also sycopation, page 37 onward. reading the bass as left foot and snare line as bass drum - starting really really slow and just focusing on when your feet land together or seperate. if you can feel good about playing just the feet, then adding them into hand patterns will be a faster more enjoyable experience.

Back