I'm learning the Drums at 26

Hi i've been playing the drums for around 10 months and am making decent progress. I certainly am motivated to learn.

I picked up the guitar at 15 and became an intermediate player after I hit the wall. I have been thinking about progression on the drums and I am a little concerned that it'll be difficult to get to where i want because of being a bit older. Where do i want to get? To a place where i can express myself through the drums.. but even now i'm not sure what i mean.

I guess what i'm asking is did anyone here take up the drums later than usual (i guess 12-15 is usual?) I really would love to become a competent drummer, get to the place where I can express myself. I have to be honest though sometimes i get a bit down that i've only taken it up at 25. I guess because i really enjoy it and it's just so much more work than i had anticipated!

Does anyone have any thoughts or encouragment for me? The worst thing i hear all the time from everyone is the franky depressing 'things get much harder when you get older.' I am going to be honest this fills me not only with dread but also genuine disapointment.

Not trying to be glum, but this is in my head constantly. I probably shouldn't listen to people. Does anyone here know what i'm talking about?

My thoughts here are a bit disjointed i can explain more if needed.

Thanks as always.
JAK

Hey Jak,

Good for you for starting drums at 26. Regardless of the age you start, it's what you put into it. I was fortunate to have a student that started taking lessons with me at age 26 and became a professional within 4 years. He really worked hard for it.

It's a really fun instrument. Be sure to enjoy the process of learning.

Also, you might want to check out my site. I have many articles for drummers.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Alright, Im gonna give it to ya straight...You ready?...JK

Youre thinking to much and your listening to too many other people. Other people who obviously have no freakin clue what their talking about. You are 26 not 96, and if you were 96, I would still tell you to go for it and dont worry so much.

The way I look at it, If you have a fair amount of natural talent you could possibly be good enough to join a Band in about a year and a half or so and youll probably be pretty good before you make 30. You have to be fairly serious and work fairly hard at it obviously but that can be a ton of fun if you stay positive and enjoy every little milestone.

If I were you I would definately summon up the courage to totally blow off the nay sayers because they are completely useless and a number of them are probably jealous of you.
Im sure youll get some great advise here on the Drummerworld Forum by real Drummers who have a clue, know by experiance what their talking about and are very supportive to Drummers and the aspiring to be.

So if you love it then get at it, and keep after it, youre still PLENTY young.

Hey Jak,

Good for you for starting drums at 26. Regardless of the age you start, it's what you put into it. I was fortunate to have a student that started taking lessons with me at age 26 and became a professional within 4 years. He really worked hard for it.

It's a really fun instrument. Be sure to enjoy the process of learning.

Also, you might want to check out my site. I have many articles for drummers.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

That's fantastic, good for him. I know it might seem a bit childish second guessing myself but only last night i was talking to people... and again about people basically being over the hill, doing anything in their twenties... this is what people preach and believe. I argue it's not true but sometimes constant reinforcement can make you believe anything.

Also... sometimes people say things, i mean there is a phenomenon in humans i think selling themselves short or discouraging people for some reason. Well not everyone but a lot of people are fatalistic. i guess i can be too if i'm honest.

It's human to regret, and for some reason i have been letting this sense of regret dampen the learning experience. Even telling people i am learning the drums at 26 (why do i always make the age an issue?) sometimes i get embarassed and i don't know why... I think of all the energy and time i could have put into the drums... but i didn't have a place to play the drums nor money for them nor the desire (that came at age 24, after i had decided the guitar and me had gone as fara as we could). Perhaps everything has happned as it should.

Sure at least i have taken them up. I will check out your site.. this is great!

Cheers man.. also can you (or anyone) think of any drummers who took up the drums when they were adults, i heard chris adler (lamb of god) took up drums aged 24.....? if true it does give you plenty encouragment.

And yes i really do enjoy learning the drums; it's so very very challenging but so rewarding!!

Thanks bud!
JAK

Yeah man, quit listening to others...unless they are encouraging you.

I started drums at 30. Once I started picking up things relativley quickly, I made up for lost time, so to speak, and got a quality drum teacher. I also scoured the internet for drum lessons in the meantime.

Another great place for many drum lessons and videos is right here. I'm amazed at the number of people that come on here and ask for drumless play-alongs or videos of a particular drummer only to be referred to this site. Anyway...where was I? Lessons...find a good teacher; you will definitely make a lot of progress more quickly than you could on your own.

Don't worry about your age being a handicap...you're hardly old. Certainly not too old to start drums.

Hey JAK,

Yes, do not listen to others that don't encourage you.....especially family members! They will really steer you down the wrong road. I learned guitar at age 44 (now 48)...my brain is better now because of it! ha ha!

Simple is best. Learn the 4/4 grooves and be the backbeat. Relax! In 5 years (or less) you may be auditioning for some huge rock band!! Stranger things have happened.

Yeah man, quit listening to others...unless they are encouraging you.

I started drums at 30. Once I started picking up things relativley quickly, I made up for lost time, so to speak, and got a quality drum teacher. I also scoured the internet for drum lessons in the meantime.

Another great place for many drum lessons and videos is right here. I'm amazed at the number of people that come on here and ask for drumless play-alongs or videos of a particular drummer only to be referred to this site. Anyway...where was I? Lessons...find a good teacher; you will definitely make a lot of progress more quickly than you could on your own.

Don't worry about your age being a handicap...you're hardly old. Certainly not too old to start drums.

Yea thanks for the comments certainly is the best way to go...plenty practice, a good teacher, and enjoying it.

Thanks this is great i feel silly for my doubts every time i feel this impulse of twinge i'll remind myself of the advice frrom you and the others.

Can i ask how has your progression gone? Has your development continued on or have you hit a wall of sorts?

JAK

Hey JAK,

Yes, do not listen to others that don't encourage you.....especially family members! They will really steer you down the wrong road. I learned guitar at age 44 (now 48)...my brain is better now because of it! ha ha!

Simple is best. Learn the 4/4 grooves and be the backbeat. Relax! In 5 years (or less) you may be auditioning for some huge rock band!! Stranger things have happened.

Well the family thing is the truest thing anyone will ever say sure my old man was the worst.. because he can't hear a note in his head he tried to convince me i'd always be hopeless at the guitar when i began taking that up but i stuck with it sure it's ridiculous what family does to you. They often have their own reasons for saying what they are saying. Sure i taught myself to sing well even though my family are musically inept ( and i was hopeless to begin with) and now play the drums and guitar and sure if i listened to them at the start i would be nowhere and probably have the same attitude too. I should remind myself of that.

I do keep it simple, well its all i can do! but yea my thing is just keeping time well and playing simply its very satisfying. I think i have a good natural rhythm and while i'm no steve gadd or joe morello (few are) i'll just have to plow on.

As for the last thing well i have come on lots in the last few months i have no idea where it's going but playing in any band would fill me with pride i have a newfound appreciation for music you know before i used listen to guitar and vocals not really the drums or bass but now i focus on the whole lot and it makes it much more rewarding.

when i'm a massive rock star i'll have you to thank!

Thanks man, you've been great. This sites very helpful i don't know how much help i've sought and i've gotten nothing but encouragment.

I turned 61 two days ago. Just finished a two hour practice session. Rock and R&B.

You can't even imagine how bad I'd like to be 26 again. LOL.

You've got so much time.

Go for it!

Good for you Jack! There is never a 'too late' time to start anything. If you have the desire to do so, then do so. No one else can answer those questions for you.

I was fortunate to start playing at 4, and I've been playing for the last 40 years, I meet all kinds of people who begin new things everyday! Keep it up and make yourself happy!

You just gotta stop listening to people about what you want to do!

I took up photography at 34 - talk about a tough market to crack!

i'm 35 and started learning about 5 months ago. age is nothing really, keep playing and just enjoy it.

JAK,

Start your own band. Find a guitar player and a bass player and lay down the rules of your band.

Let me know the name and where you are playing in 3 months.

I turned 61 two days ago. Just finished a two hour practice session. Rock and R&B.

You can't even imagine how bad I'd like to be 26 again. LOL.

You've got so much time.

Go for it!

Yea i suppose looking at it like that. Everything is comparative and relative... when i was away a few months ago i met this 18 yr old and he was talking about when he 'got to my age' and jesus i felt like i had false teeth and a cane.

I guess I just am surprised by how difficult the drums are.. i mean they are much harder than i thought.. but when i get something i have been working on it gives me a real boost.

Not everyone gets into something when they are really young... I have had other hobbies in my life i should just be happy that I have this one in my life now.

Thanks again. I am going to keep it up and since i've been online today i have found a few success stories about the drums. I'll keep it up.

Good for you Jack! There is never a 'too late' time to start anything. If you have the desire to do so, then do so. No one else can answer those questions for you.

I was fortunate to start playing at 4, and I've been playing for the last 40 years, I meet all kinds of people who begin new things everyday! Keep it up and make yourself happy!

You just gotta stop listening to people about what you want to do!

I took up photography at 34 - talk about a tough market to crack!

Jaysus at 4... that's about as early as you can start. Kudos!

Well i have been reinvigourated here the sites great, i must also tune my drums up i remember you gave me some tips on tuning the drums and the heads to put on them. i thought by your photo you were twenty-something. the drums are keeping you young (well something is).

I do love the drums i am usually positive and upbeat about it just every now and then i dwell on the age thing but i usually come around to seeing it's nonsensical to concern myself with such thoughts. This site (with pearldrummersforum and drumforum) is a treasure trove. There's a great community.

Good luck with the photography sure if you're talented it'll show ! I should take my own advice.

JAK

Jaysus at 4... that's about as early as you can start. Kudos!

Well i have been reinvigourated here the sites great, i must also tune my drums up i remember you gave me some tips on tuning the drums and the heads to put on them. i thought by your photo you were twenty-something. the drums are keeping you young (well something is).

I do love the drums i am usually positive and upbeat about it just every now and then i dwell on the age thing but i usually come around to seeing it's nonsensical to concern myself with such thoughts. This site (with pearldrummersforum and drumforum) is a treasure trove. There's a great community.

Good luck with the photography sure if you're talented it'll show ! I should take my own advice.

JAK

Well, the girl in the avatar is in her 20s. I'm something completely different.

Thanks for the kind words! Now get out there and play!

I agree with those that say just enjoy playing and try to find others to jam with.

Joshua Redman didn't approach sax or jazz seriously until *after* college, and he's one of the premiere jazz players right now.

It is never too old to start. Conversely, never too young--I know a kid who started playing at age 2 and ended up winning a Modern Drummer festival, going to Berkelee, etc.

Bo is right: just work at it and have fun, and you never know what might happen!

JAK,

Start your own band. Find a guitar player and a bass player and lay down the rules of your band.

Let me know the name and where you are playing in 3 months.

AHA! is that a challenge? I am meant to be playing with my friend who may be able to draft in a bass player, we're hoping to play bluesy style music and i think basic blues drumming is ok for me, i can handle it. in fact i can play a lot of basic beats the thing that ruins it is trying fills that usually sound horrid. anything needless is usually reflects by the sound.

So i sincerely hope we get together and have some kind of organised schedule. I might use this as a motivator.

It was intended to motivate you. Don't worry about the fills. Listen to The Beatles and The Rolling Stones drum fills. They are simple yet with style. Simple is best. This is a challenge to you and I AM WAITING for the invite to your first gig.

Back