Practice Time Split / How Much Playing

Witterings

Silver Member
How does everyone split their practice time, recently I've spent virtually all of it doing rudiments, practicing fills and diffferent bass drum patterns / rhytmns etc and very little time actually plaing the drums, if I have an hour probably less than 10 mins is given to say playing along to a record.
What sort of split does everyone else have, I almost feel as though I've gone way too far and I'm learning lots of stuff that I can sit and play but I'm not actually integrating it into my day to day playing.
Be interested to hear how others break it up ????

i usually spend the last 20 minutes to half hour of my practice sessions playing along to music. i think it's important to work on technique, rudiments, new grooves, independence, and other things that you want to learn like you're already doing, but that needs to be balanced with playing along to music because making music is what it's all about after all. practicing music helps you build up a musical sense and gives you a chance to apply all the things you've been learning.

I've thinking about this same question.
I find I spend more time working on technical stuff over practicing songs my group is learning and/or playing to recordings. Maybe 85% technical to 15% songs.
I've decided to reverse this and see how things work out.
It's really about the music so I'm going to "trust" myself that my skills are okay and just play and learn the song. Getting together and jamming is probably the best thing anyone can do to improve. Unfortunately, I can only jam once a week.

The lessons I'm assigned take 2/3 of my time. The other third is my own stuff.

I warm up with rudiments and drills. I learn by playing songs, though.

It's like piano lessons. Once a week I'd meet up with my teacher, work on stuff, and he'd assign me a song or two that he felt would help branch out my skills. That's what I do. I pick songs that have things that are within my reach but still difficult and help develop skills that weren't in use before.

Back