The British or the Americans?

I think the Americans did....no the British...no...
If you mean todays, I don't know since I don't listen to much of the current stuff.
I do think the British Invasion has influenced most of todays in some way, and most of the British Invasion acts say they were influenced most by Buddy Holly, Elvis, Bill Haley, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino. So which came first the chicken or the egg.

According to "Standing in the shadows of motown" Americans did.

50's rock and roll like Buddy Holley and Elvis influenced the British invasion.

Blues and Motown influenced the British invasion.

But if you ask me to choose between the two, it's impossible.

Deeply rooted in my personal life of "Americana" when I thought of home from a deployed location...

I thought of the Beatles, The stones, Led Zeppelin, Iron maiden and listened on my mp3 player. I never delineated where or how they originated, but the fact that they are coequal with my favorite American acts of all time.

This is musical genius.
Let it be

Last edited:
I don't think this is a fair comparison... come on! 300+ mil people vs 60 + mil people...
You obviously have more musicians...
OK so the numbers were different a while back, but still...

To be honest, I think if you subtract The Beatles, Led Zep, The Who and maybe The Sex Pistols from the equation we don't even have a chance....

And either way, what does it matter?

Britain, no doubt.
Cream
The Who
Most of AC/DC
Led Zeppelin
2/3 of the Jimi Hendrix Experience
NWOBHM (which inspired thrash)
Motorhead (who also inspired thrash)
Black Sabbath (who invented metal)
Judas Priest (who revolutionised metal)
Iron Maiden
Massive punk movement
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones

You get the picture

If you're talking about the original creation of styles, you're definitely going to have to say America. Most popular music styles of the last one hundred years ultimately have their roots in American music and have their direct genesis in America in most cases. If you want to talk about development of said styles; then I would argue that this is where Britain tends to fall in. DJ culture (developed in New York in the late 70's as a direct result of Jamaican dub) was developed furiously in the UK during the 80's and 90's to the point where the majority of well-known electronic artists are in fact British acts.

Where the line is drawn between development of a genre and a genre altogether is another issue all together and this is where it becomes rather blurred. For initial ideas there is no question of a doubt as to where the impetus lies and that is quite clearly in America - but for less mainstream avant-garde material there is also a strong European element. For popular music? It is clearly more defined.

Er......no. I don't think you know AC/DC at all.

This thread is pointless

Actually- the guy is right-

Brian Johnson is Scottish so is Angus and his brother- they moved to Austrailia as children

This is pointless in as much as music is a circle- We are/have been very good at taking your music and selling it back to you in a different form-

I have a wonderful quote from a newspaper article in the UK-

''The fact is, in pop terms, the US is Microsoft: vast, lumbering, clunky and a bit shit.

While the UK is Apple: nimble, zippy, innovative and totally up its own arse.

Gene Vincent, the Beatles, heavy metal, punk, disco, house and electronica - for decades, Britain has stolen American pop music, gayed it up and sold it back for a profit''

Couldnt have said it better myself

article:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2007/jul/02/aqualungcannevergohomeaga

Americans created Rock´nRoll, the fish&chips guys stole and enhanced it, made it something special and spread the message all over the world. They are the best. Without them no evolution of Rock´nRoll.

I'd like to answer your question with another question...

Who invented Blues, R&B, Soul, Motown, Jazz, Funk, and Rock n' Roll?

Britain, no doubt.
Cream
The Who
Most of AC/DC
Led Zeppelin
2/3 of the Jimi Hendrix Experience
NWOBHM (which inspired thrash)
Motorhead (who also inspired thrash)
Black Sabbath (who invented metal)
Judas Priest (who revolutionised metal)
Iron Maiden
Massive punk movement
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones

You get the picture

The problem here is that you are missing a generation. Cream, The Who, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, the Jimi Hendrix Experience, many punk bands, the Beatles and The Rolling Stones all stated that they started playing music because of (and playing the music of) earlier American bands...mostly blues, but also some pop and r&b stuff. None of those bands would have existed if it wasn't for blues and early rock and r&b (which also wouldn't have existed without blues and jazz). Blues and jazz are both truly unique American forms of music, originally created here (though derived from the music in Africa, they are completely different styles). I can't speak on the metal bands you name, because I haven't looked into them, but just from what I said, it's clear that America is the birthplace of modern music.

I do agree that the English often knew what to do with it a whole heck of a lot better than we did, though.

To post an answer in this thread is to participate in mass stupidity.

Back