So Extremely Proud ...

WhoIsTony?

... if you would allow me to glow for just a moment ...

I just received an email from a student that I handed her first pair of sticks 9 years ago at 9 years old who informed me that she will not only be attending Berklee College of Music this fall but has received a scholarship

I knew about a year into our time together that she was pretty special ... sometimes you just know

Joan is my 3rd student in the past 5 years to be accepted to Berklee ... she and one other on scholarship

my first student to be accepted has graduated and is now touring with a quite well known artist playing arenas and amphitheaters

the second graduated just days ago and has been active in the session scene for quite a while and appears on movie and video game scores already

and now Joan ... I am just over the moon about it all

of all the things I have accomplished in my career these are probably the contributions to the drum community that I am most proud of

the future of our community is in good hands my friends ... I spend a good portion of my time making sure that is the case

thanks for allowing me to release my joy to all of you

Last edited:
Good on you Tony. Leaving something for the future generation.

I have no doubt you're a superb teacher, for of all the people here I have learned the most from your posts. You were absent awhile back and I kinda missed your input,.... and humour.

Tony.....ur what its all f%#^&$@ about!! Thanks for your contribution around here and sharing stories and experiences that we all fantasize about. Awesome man

That's where it's at right there. Doing something that makes a positive impact on someone. I'd be over the moon too.

" if you would allow me to glow for just a moment ...

I just received an email from a student that I handed her first pair of sticks 9 years ago at 9 years old who informed me that she will not only be attending Berklee College of Music this fall but has received a scholarship

I knew about a year into our time together that she was pretty special ... sometimes you just know

Joan is my 3rd student in the past 5 years to be accepted to Berklee ... she and one other on scholarship

my first student to be accepted has graduated and is now touring with a quite well known artist playing arenas and amphitheaters

the second graduated just days ago and has been active in the session scene for quite a while and appears on movie and video game scores already

and now Joan ... I am just over the moon about it all

of all the things I have accomplished in my career these are probably the contributions to the drum community that I am most proud of

the future of our community is in good hands my friends ... I spend a good portion of my time making sure that is the case

thanks for allowing me to release my joy to all of you"
Wow Tony, as an ex-educator (not drumming but who cares), the best feeling, and most rewarding, is seeing your students succeed-and having that student to have the decency to correspond and keep you abreast of their progress and success just means the world to me (often few students do so-so it's a testimony to you my friend). It is the greatest feeling in the world-pour your soul into a student to teach them everything you know and desire to make them better than you. Then to see them succeed and come back to thank you for pushing them and supporting them-man you're making me cry. As an educator it's ironic and I'm ashamed to admit I've never had a drum lesson-when of all people I appreciate the benefits of such. I'm so happy for you-I dig it.

That’s awesome! Good on you!

This is way better than being involved in a HS music program only to see those dreams dashed in music college because they weren’t properly prepared in HS.

Wow Tony!!

Teaching is a difficult skill...well done!

That is a beautiful story, man. Adding some good to the world, something not as prevalent as it should be. Congrats and major respect, Ants.

You've permission to be gloat-AF with news like this Anthony! This is fantastic! Congrats to both of you!

"Tony.....ur what its all f%#^&$@ about!! Thanks for your contribution around here and sharing stories and experiences that we all fantasize about. Awesome man"
"Good on you Tony. Leaving something for the future generation.

I have no doubt you're a superb teacher, for of all the people here I have learned the most from your posts. You were absent awhile back and I kinda missed your input,.... and humour." I second those sentiments. I should qualify I've never had formal lessons but I've learned a lot, and the most, since I joined DW-its like an Encyclopedia or Wikipedia of drumming because of people like Anthony and others. Free drum lessons ;) I kid around a lot, but I value what I've learned on here as well as the internet friendships and acquaintances-it's a great community and I love sharing this success much as I did Larry's drum give away. Man I love humanity-when we show it.

Well done Tony! Right on, right on.

That is spectacular! Teaching, and then seeing your lessons come to fruition is a great experience. Congratulations to you and your student.

Dude that's awesome! I know she isn't your kid, but I bet it feels like a dad moment. I love those...

That's really cool!

I got to watch a former hammered dulcimer student of mine play Merlefest this year. It was a great feeling.

Congrats!

My day-job is in teaching as well (though not music), and I agree with this 100% for my area, too.

Congrats on your students' successes! That's awesome.

Back