Singers & Other Musicians Using Drums as a Foot Prop

adam!

I play in an instrumental surf band. Every so often, we’ll throw in a cover and a friend of the guitarist will join us for a song. We had a guy sing “Return of the Fly” by the Misfits a few shows back, and everything was fine. At our last show, the guitarist had the same guy join us. Only this time, he thought it a good idea to use my bass drum as his personal foot stand while singing (I play a Yamaha Oak Custom kit with a nice finish. I really take care of my gear, so this foot-prop thing is a real insult).

Anyway, after jumping in the crowd between verse and chorus (during an otherwise sloppy performance), he returns his foot to my bass drum. And even though I’m playing through this song, the only thing I can think is “get your damn foot off my drum!”. I manage to effectively convey these thoughts with an intense glare. Unfortunately, it is not effective enough as he never looks up from his stare-at-foot-while-singing pose. So, I’m sitting there, all four limbs going and my mind is entirely somewhere else wondering if I should just stop playing and tell him to get off, or keep going. At any rate, I played through the song, the guy quickly exited the stage to blend back in with the crowd, and I never see him again that night. He must have left before our set was over.

In another group I play with, the guitarist started a habit of propping his foot on my bass drum while soloing. This was all during practice, but I respectfully suggested he take his foot off with a questionable/disappointed expression and a nod to his foot, afterwards joking that I wouldn’t stand on his guitar during a drum fill.

So.. Have you guys ever experienced a singer or other musician using your bass drum as a prop for their foot? If so, how did you handle it? Would you stop a song to give them the message? I don’t mind confrontation, just interested in what others have experienced.

/rant

Btw, I did manage to find a thread on the logistics of allowing a singer to stand on and/or jump off the bass drum. However, I am not requesting any of those things to happen to my poor drum...

I'd never stop a song, unless someone was really in danger of marking one of my drums/causing damage. I'd probably not stop either, just shout at them/throw a stick/give them a stare then speak to them afterwards about the consequences and costs of ruining my gear and me ruining theirs. Although in that situation depending on the kit I was using I don't know how I'd react.

The one thing two of our guitarists have started doing is hitting my cymbals on stage either between songs when I'm playing intros or during one number when there's a breakdown when it's just me.

Have had to tell them a couple times to cool it afterwards and to be fair they are respectful as my request is done in a friendly manner.

Also, in rehearsals as soon as I go out for a break some of the guys will within seconds jump on the kit and in the past have tried to channel their inner Dave Grohl by smashing the hell out of it. Once breaking some perfectly good sticks.

I spoke to them all about it more forcefully after that one and they don't do that anymore.

Not sure what it is about guitarists and drums. From what I can tell it's not being intentionally disrespectful it's just they see this great big thing that makes noise, normally without thinking that's quite an expensive mass of gear with little/no understanding.

It's not like simply having a guitar, a lead and an amp-maybe with a few pedals of which generally don't break/smash from other people using them. There's only one of us (usually in a band) and they don't need to fork out for stuff like we do nor appreciate/understand how much these things cost.

That seems odd; I mean with his foot on the Bass Drum does he have his back to the crowd? Why would he even do that?

If it were me, I would try to give them the look. If that doesn't work maybe a loud "Hey!" would get their attention. If all else fails, just bring it up when the song/set is over.

The bands I've played in know better than to do this. Singers break very easily :)

Use your monitor if you must.

Get a sign, a musket with coarse salt and an alsatian.

Pepper spray works too, but it's illegal in Norway.

this is what you get for having a singer :) Almost every band is better without one...

There is only 1 rule do not touch my gear ,,.
Every leg thats on my drums ,is getting broken.
So i dont stand on your guitar!!or face!!

Not sure what it is about guitarists and drums. From what I can tell it's not being intentionally disrespectful it's just they see this great big thing that makes noise, normally without thinking that's quite an expensive mass of gear with little/no understanding.

I've experienced the same thing.. I don't know what it is either. But sometimes I get the feeling that the drums are viewed as a toy for anyone to sit down and give it a go.

That seems odd; I mean with his foot on the Bass Drum does he have his back to the crowd? Why would he even do that?

You have it right - back facing the crowd. Maybe it's the cool thing to do? I will try also facing away from the crowd the next gig... At least no one will be able to stand on the bass drum.

It happened to me once. I don't speak with that person any more.

The bands I've played in know better than to do this. Singers break very easily :)

Use your monitor if you must.

Get a sign, a musket with coarse salt and an alsatian.

Pepper spray works too, but it's illegal in Norway.

All good suggestions. The only downside for the musket is fitting another piece of equipment into the hardware case. Maybe I can modify an Airsoft gun... haha
At the very least, if this situation happens again, I think a nice "bell-smack" stick hit on his wrist or head may be appropriate.

this is what you get for having a singer :) Almost every band is better without one...

Hey, come on... we're an instrumental band.. we're trying really hard! Singers must be drawn to what they see as a void at our shows. "They must be in need of my services. Now where is my foot stool? Ah yes, this drum will do nicely."

They make drumsticks that store an adjustable electrical charge. You poke the singers leg with your stick tip and he gets up to a 12,000 volt shock. I think they're called electri-sticks.

Me, I'd fashion something that sits on top of my bass drum that holds about 2 dozen 6" barbed needles. Like a punji stick trap. Minus the dog poop.

So many bands now (Avett Brothers, Lumineers, Mumford & Sons) have the singers and guitarists playing bass drums and floor toms at the front of the stage. I think that can be really cool. But I wouldn't like someone surprising me by stepping on my pedals and slamming my cymbals unannounced while I'm still sitting behind the drums. I wouldn't make a scene on stage; gotta be a pro and the show must go on. But I'd start with a non-confrontational conversation after the show.

If you've only played drums your whole musical life, you don't know anything about what goes into playing guitar. Same thing holds true in reverse; lots of guitarists don't really get what makes drummers tick, what goes into playing the drums, how we take care of our gear, what we do to get the sounds we get, what our pet peeves are....

That's why I try to be tactful and educate rather than assume I'm being disrespected. On a good day, anyway. :)

Larry - hilarious idea! Do you think 12,000v would be enough though? Maybe a "bug zapper" taped to the end of my stick would work too!

8Mile,
I get what you're saying and totally agree. However, there is another factor to consider: Some people just do not appreciate or respect the property of others... and usually their own as well. This is what bugs me the most. Whatever place it comes from for this type of personality, I believe the "lack of consideration for others" is one huge factor. At the same time, I agree that the diplomatic approach is always the best approach to try first.

I played with a bass player who liked to perch himself up on a barstool at practice and keep one foot up on the bass drum. He was so good and tight as a player that it never occurred to me to take offense. I think I took it as a compliment.

If a singer wanted to launch his self into a backflip off my bass drum, well, that might be kinda nuts ... cracks me up just thinking about it! Like, go for it, dude!

I dunno, drums aren't so delicate. At least mine aren't, so I don't freak out about much. They already have that "road worn" look, so as long as no one inflicts any structural damage, I'm good.

Actually, there are two things I don't dig:

1) I play the butt ends of 7As after cutting the tips off (so the tips don't dig into my hands) so if someone sits at my kit and tries to play them the right way, they'll dent the hell out of the heads right away. But just one heads up to the guitar player (who likes to jump behind my kit at practice) is all it took to keep me happy.

2) The old guitar/bass headstock cymbal crash trick makes me nervous, but since this causes more damage to his axe, it doesn't happen much.

Seems electric barbed wire will cover everyting.

I used to play with a guy who would literally stand on the edge of my bass drum to be dramatic. I told him no a few times and he ignored that because I guess he saw some famous musician do it on stage or something. The last time he did it, we all heard a distinct 'CRACK' come from the wood. He never argued with me about it not being good for the drum after that. It's a bass drum, so it still "works", and I can't see damage, but I assume one of the plies in the drum must have cracked.

He later ruined a throne of mine by standing on it.

Yea, it's all not good. That said, it's just stuff. I'm not about to lose a friend or music partner because of stuff. My gig kit is designated that way because I assume stuff will happen to it.

I'm not about to lose a friend or music partner because of stuff. My gig kit is designated that way because I assume stuff will happen to it.

To my mind, someone who treats my instrument with such disdain is no friend, and I don't like to partner with people who aren't respectful of other people's gear.

Stuff will happen on gigs, yes. Accidents. Accidents I have no problem with. Breaking shit because you think you need to use my instrument for a prop in order to be a frontman? That's not an accident. It's deliberate douchebaggery.

I don't think I've ever met a front-man who wasn't a "deliberate douchebag". I think they need a certain amount of that to not feel like an ass acting all rockstar on stage. I couldn't do it.

And honestly, I really meant it when I said it's "just stuff". I know his intention wasn't to break stuff, so it goes down in my log-book as simply clueless and careless.

Anyway, the less I care about stuff and put people and experience above stuff, the happier I am. I really wouldn't gain anything from getting upset even if the drum did break in half when he stood on it.

And it's not like it was his idea. It's as old as Rock N Roll I think.

rhcp-five-970-80.jpg

2) The old guitar/bass headstock cymbal crash trick makes me nervous, but since this causes more damage to his axe, it doesn't happen much.

rrrrrr this, a band I was in the bass player always did this as well as slap my crashes hard??? I never said anything but it made me cringe.

Back