Drumming dreams

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
Does anyone have dreams about playing drums? I can't for the life of me recall ever having one dream that included me on the drums. I just find that very strange as it occupies a great deal of my daily thoughts.

Does anyone have dreams about playing drums? I can't for the life of me recall ever having one dream that included me on the drums. I just find that very strange as it occupies a great deal of my daily thoughts.

Just the other night I had a dream that I was supposed to play drums in the orchastra band for a play. In the dream I don't remember ever playing the drums but I remember forgetting almost every piece of the kit and was late to show time.

Randomly I also made a pop tart mid performance...not sure where that came from.

It happened to me a few days ago. I was playing drums in front of an audience of many people on a hot summer day.

No. I have lovely daydreams about drumming, but my only drumming nightmares have been real :/

Yes and it's usually a disaster. It's never good. I guess I have some hangups about my playing or something.

I remember only one. I was about to do my sound check for a concert with Van Halen (I don't know why it was VH). I remember the kit being massive. But we never got around to playing! I spent the whole dream setting up the stupid kit.

I've found that, having gotten older, I now have dry dreams and wet farts.

:)

I dream frequently and sometimes wired stuff but never dreaming.

Why yes now that you mention it.

I recently had a dream that I was over larryace's house. And we were jamming together with our drum sets and Larry said, "Wow Jim, you are the best drummer I have ever heard. Here, take my Guru drum set home with you, you deserve it more than I do." (Then I woke up.)

I swear there was a thread on this already.

But I can't find it now. Maybe it was just a dream.

But to the question: Yes, many, many times.

Never drums but I dream I was on stage with The Stones playing bass.

The show was seconds away from starting and I said to myself, "WTF dude....you don't know how to play guitar!"

I've had the exact same dream getting ready to play with an NBA team, looking around wondering how the hell I got on an NBA team when I don't even play basketball at a recreational level.

That's because while you're sleeping your brain is trying to keep you rooted in reality.

See what I did there?

You're welcome, Larry!

Your name is GrimmREEFER and you're not sure where that came from. Really.

;-)

That didn't happen in a dream, it happened while he was wide awake. ;-)

I only remember one. I'll preface this by saying that I do like the foo fighters, but I'm no fanatic or anything. I hear em on the radio, and own one album. I dig em, but I have no idea why I would dream about that band in particular.

So anyway, I don't remember the first part of the dream so well, somehow, through some weird set of circumstances I happened to be jamming/hanging out with Dave, and the rest of the band. I remember having a great time. We were playing some foo songs, and just nailing the shit out of them, and dave was giving me those surprised "damn; kid can play!" looks. We rock for quite a while, and then take a break. I don't remember a whole lot of the in between stuff... It's dream-foggy, but I ended up getting to watch them at a show that I wasn't aware they would be playing in the area. I packed into the van they were taking, and we were off to this surprise-to-me show.

It's on the way to this show that things start getting not so fun. from the front passenger seat, I see that Taylor, absent from the earlier jam, is turning around to say something. When I look at him, there is blood running out of his nose and soaking his t-shirt. The guys tell the driver to take him to the hospital, and we do. But to my surprise, they drop him off, and we leave.

Everyone turns to me. Dave goes, "so, you can fill in for the show tonight, eh?" and he didn't look in the slightest concerned. But me, I'm starting to freak a bit. I'm arguing and it doesn't seem to matter. The earlier jam somehow convinced them that I was up to it... I remember going "but, uh, guys, I don't know all the song parts!" and they just shot me down. "We'll be real obvious and give you body language, like earlier!"...

We get there, and it's the worst case scenario. Turns out this is a HUGE outdoor festival kinda show, and the crowd is the size of a town's population. Apparently, sound was already done, and everything was setup, because we were very quickly pushed up the stairs and out onto the biggest stage I could imagine. The kit is already setup for Taylor, not me, and I'm a bit nervous that I might have to fiddle with stuff while 10's of thousands stand and watch. I sit down, and to my relief, it's not so bad. A nice clean neat setup and I can reach everything. I look to my left, and there's a set list taped down. To my further shock, I kinda know the whole list... Nothing I don't recognize, stuff I'd heard a lot!

For just a short moment, I felt okay. I thought, maybe this will work out and be okay after all. Maybe I'm about to rock the biggest gig of my life.

Dave runs past me out on the stage, and the crowd goes ape. He puts on a guitar, looks at me, and nods. I count out the first song tempo, and we hit it.

For a few bars, it works. Then it falls apart. The real nightmare starts. Barely into the first song, and my right foot is refusing to work right. Every kick note is floppy, and late, and just not in time with the rest of anything. It's amped to a sound system bigger than my house. I sound like a fucking moron, and that just snowballs on my nerves to the point where I'm mortified, it's only getting worse, and the guys aren't stopping. I have no choice but to play through the song, and let me tell you, that was the most excruciating part of a dream/nightmare I've ever had. Failing that hard in that crucial of a situation was absolutely terrifying. It felt like the song went forever.

We finally ended the song, with me playing an extra crash after everyone else had played the last note, like an idiot... And the crowd was crickets. It was a train-wreck, and everyone knew it. I wanted to die.

The very last thing I remember, was Dave turning around, walking up to the drumkit, and he looked pissed the hell off. He says in the nastiest, most sarcastic tone I can dream up "So. You came in a little late on that one, huh?"

And then I woke up.

I have a variation of the same dream all the time. I show up at a gig and I either can't find my drums, or I don't remember rehearsing with the band and don't know any of the songs I'm supposed to play. I have this dream a couple times a month.

The timing of this thread is kind of spooky. Just last night I had a drum dream. For some reason I was packing my kit up in a hurry and decided to fold (yes fold) one of my K crash cymbals to put in a bag. Then when I got where I was going, I unfolded it and it sort of had the consistency of heavy tin foil but it was definitely wrecked. I was pissed. Oh, and another 'prominent' DW forum member made a cameo and was checking out my kit, which is strange because we've never met in person nor had all that much interaction. Anyway, it was one of those dreams where you were glad it was just a dream. Maybe I need to take a break from the forum for a while.

Oddly, no.

I've had surreal dreams before where I've been working until the early hours on a horrible job, like many years ago while still at college I'd be setting up events until the early hours (marquees, lighting, sound, etc), often heavy gear, bad weather, etc. I once worked over 30 hours to get a job done! The show must go on and all that..

Afterwards I would dream I was still doing the job, but then wake up relieved that I wasn't..

Back