Some down time...

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
...and much needed. Sorry for my rant yesterday twisting off about everything under the shining sun.

After making the decision to stop all public drumming, save for maybe helping out a buddy with an emergency gig sub if needed, the wife noticed a change in my attitude. For the better. She agreed I was letting miscellaneous people and crap get to me and it was a good decision to back away from it all for a while.

So, I now have a moderate list of "honey-do's" to do around the house! Haha!

It's okay with me, I need to do them and something I've put off doing.

We both came to the agreement I STILL need to practice and keep up the chops, but just not with any band for the time being. Which leads to an interesting question she asked me. She asked if there was anything in particular I was going to work on drumming-wise or wanted to work on: technique, metronome work, learning particular grooves, etc. After hanging around with musicians all her life and having a daughter that is a professional clarinetist, and now married to me - a drummer/percussionist for 4 years - she's absorbed a lot of this stuff.

I mentioned my paradiddles and single-stroke roll need work.

But...I would really like to work on and learn some covers or grooves to add to my knowledge base, rock or blues covers or particular grooves.

I've decided to work on Zep's "Rock and Roll" and the Ventures' "Wipeout", since I never played in a band that covered these.

So let me ask the forum: along the classic rock and blues genres, or jazz, what particular covers have you found popular but challenging to play? Or needed to put in the extra time on? I know this is a general question, but maybe a few to get me started.

Thanks!

I think you will grow tired of Wipeout really quick. LOL

I have been practicing with several different Reggae beats lately. And it is difficult to lay back just a little and get deep into those grooves.
I am also practicing with fast blues shuffles and funk grooves.

I want to be more proficient with those three types of music.

I think you will grow tired of Wipeout really quick. LOL

I have been practicing with several different Reggae beats lately. And it is difficult to lay back just a little and get deep into those grooves.
I am also practicing with fast blues shuffles and funk grooves.

I want to be more proficient with those three types of music.

Agreed. Pick out some Police tunes. some nice popular challenging grooves.

Playing drums on my Roland with drumless tracks is much fun. I never thought developing good time and feel could be so enjoyable. Maybe you could benefit practicing your time, doing something like this? Anyway this type of practice works around my schedule, which I couldn't ask of others. It's not easy to find time to do a band, or etc. when you work a difficult schedule, or have other commitments.

There's always the usual suspects. Try the "Rosanna" half-time shuffle groove, Steve Gadd's groove to "Late in the Evening", Gene Krupa's solo on "Sing, Sing, Sing", etc.

Or maybe take yourself through a book you've always wanted to do. Maybe learn all the Groove Essentials grooves?

Or perhaps a skill you may not have had the opportunity to use, such as brushes.

After making the decision to stop all public drumming

Lots of times I feel I've had enough with drums and gigs but then I get some rest and sleep and the next day I'm looking for gigs again. Maybe you just need a day off.

Back