Giving bandmates rides to gigs!

savant16

Hello.I wanted to know some input with dealing with fellow musicians who dont have a car needing rides to gigs. I play with a musician who always needs me or someone else to pick him and never offers to help pay travel expenses. So in a nutshell he gets 100% of the profit from the gig while im in the hole. How have you dealt with this or have you dealt with this?

Ask for gas money, especially if it is long distance.

I am the person with the truck & camper shell in our band, so by default we use it to haul ourselves and our equipment. For anything over 50 miles round trip I ask for gas money off the top, before the split if it is a paying gig. I don't worry about stuff like wear & tear. It has been expected since the beginning, so it isn't an issue now. For the record we have traveled as far as 900 miles round trip, same rule applies with rooms if needed. If you never bring it up he will always expect it.

Btw, we also do the same thing for the 'band fund', comes right off the top before the split, covers, recording, etc.

Hello.I wanted to know some input with dealing with fellow musicians who dont have a car needing rides to gigs. I play with a musician who always needs me or someone else to pick him and never offers to help pay travel expenses. So in a nutshell he gets 100% of the profit from the gig while im in the hole. How have you dealt with this or have you dealt with this?

Option 1: Man up and ask him for some help with gas money.

Option 2: Get someone to manage band expenses and payouts. Back in my day, we called these guys managers, and hated them. It also becomes a PITA when everyone tries to expense anything even remotely associated with the band.

I used to be the band chaffeur whichever band I was in. When I was 19 I was in a band with people younger than me (still in high school) who didn't drive, so yeah, that was fun.....not.

Since then, I only offer rides if people do actually drive but there's a good reason for the rides (carpool for saving gas, car broken down, etc.). Which I'm happy to do. But if you don't have a car and are looking for rides, then no.

Speak to him and get it sorted out. I've been in the same position many times and if you don't say something early on, then you'll end up resenting him for what is essentially your inability to act.

Speak to him and get it sorted out. I've been in the same position many times and if you don't say something early on, then you'll end up resenting him for what is essentially your inability to act.

Well said. If he isn't made aware that you have an issue with it, he may not even know there is a problem.

I don't mind if it's a short distance. If it's a longer distance then I work out a deal with the musician, or don't do it at all.

Can't understand why it would actually bother you...

You're going to the gig anyway....what's it matter someone grabbing a ride off you as long as you're not actually adding to your cost ?

Just my two pennuth worth...I think getting wound up or irritated by sh1t like this causes more heart attacks than it's worth.

I tend to do the driving to gigs for me and our guitarist...he's short on cash and has a pretty low paying job. He'd do same for me if roles were reversed.

Last edited:

Oh no, not this again...

In most bands I've been in, if there was a carpooling, the folks who drove would get a little extra payout if the distance was significant.

You're going to the gig anyways, so it's up to you to determine if the guy needs to help you with expenses.

Tell that guy you want some gas money or he can find his own way to the gig. It's situations like this where the issue no longer even has a chance to come up with me. I tell you where to be and when, and I'll see you there ;)

There is no crying in rock and roll.

Ask yourself, "is he worth it?" then give him a ride or don't.

It's your choice, but it sounds petty to me. I'd give a stranger a ride if they asked me so I would sure as hell give a bandmate a lift.

I suppose you could leave him home and do the gig without him? :)

Is this guy poor and has no vehicle? If so, why gripe about this.
He had a vehicle but has a DUI so can't drive?
Do you like playing with him, or is he not worth the ride anyway?
Is he ever late when you pick him up, or make you wait packing up?
Is he on your way or many miles out the way?

These are questions I would ask. Its nice to help somebody out, and why pollute more when you don't have to? Yes he should offer to pay some gas but not everybody was 'raised that way'. You have to ask. You know,s top at a gas station on the way there lol

I gave our singer a lift to gig this past summer. She got out of the car, didn't lift a finger to help with any of my drum equip, and went over to stand in the shade to text her BF until we started. Got a lift home with her parents after the gig and never said goodbye to any of us.

Not happening again... no more ride for her.

I'm biased as I don't drive because my Sleep Apnoea makes me so tired at times that I cannot control being awake, so I am medically unsafe to drive.

That said, wherever my wife hasnt been able to take me somewhere I have always offered above what is fair for gas as I am always appreciative of the lift and the fact that after a gig it is sometimes too late to get home or more expensive/tiresome waiting for a taxi.

It is very rare that my wife cannot ferry me about but if I can see a situation brewing I always let bandmates know in advance. Thats always been the fairest way but as long as gig is local then I always have taxi as a last resort, but I only take small kit to gigs now so sometimes theyll split the kit in 3 cars.

I always help with setting up the PA and the backdrop etc, not like I sit on my arse doing nowt unlike some muso's who feel all high and mighty :)

This all depends on you.

The simple answer is ask for compensation. If person doesn't have a vehicle its not your fault. What ppl do on their own time is their choice. The reality is it costs $ every time you step out the door.

You're not asking the person to pay for your gas, or very small percentage of the up keep of your vehicle, your asking them to pay for their ride, just like you have to. The gig pays money, a portion of your cut is going into your car to get you there, so should a portion of theirs if they choose to ride with you.

If you gave the whole band a ride to and fro, paid for all the gas, you'd be out of money quick. Why should one person get special treatment over the others?

Back