Will I be satisfied switching?

Mr. Big

Will I be happy switching from my pearl export set to a new pearl e-pro live set? Reason for the switch is I recently went deaf in my left ear and so I try to take good care of my other ear. I don't really like wearing ear plugs/muffs so I am thinking about going electric so I can control the volume and jam out playing with tracks again. I've never really played on an electric set but these are supposed to be very realistic.

Re: Will I be satisfied switching

Sorry about your hearing,but E drums are a totally different thing from acoustic drums,in terms of sound and feel.If you really like playing on a practice pad,then E drums may be the ticket.

Steve B

I agree with Tamadrm to some extent: two totally different experiences and you may or may not like what you have to give up. I will say as an owner of both that when given a choice, I'll play my Sonors hands down but I do like the opportunity to play or practice any time I want that my Rolands provide.

For a more e-drum centric view of the universe, visit the vdrum forum.

You may be more satisfied. I use mine 90% of the time because, for me, the pros outweigh the cons.

The sounds on the E-Pro module are terrible so I would say no.
Any e-kit (and much cheaper ones than the e-pro) will help with your volume/ hearing issues at least.

The E Pro Live and the Leedy knob tension drums are the two Edsel's of Drum history. For you youngsters the Edsel was a sales disaster of an automobile).

You are much better off buying a Yamaha or Roland Electronic ( not electric) kit. Try and steer. Lear of the modules with the black rubber pads, these are carpal tunnel syndrome waiting to happen. The DTX silicon pads from Yamaha or the mesh heads from Roland are a better bet by far.

The set I'm looking at is actually a pearl vision set with the tru-trac heads and e cymbals, along with the rack and module. I like the assurance that I can always switch the heads out and play acoustic in need be. Thanks for the opinions.

I actually really liked the FEEL of the epro. I didn't notice that the sounds were terrible but they had nothing on my 2box.

Hope you don't mind me asking but I'm curious but how did you go deaf? Did you play for a long time without ear protection or?

I like the assurance that I can always switch the heads out and play acoustic in need be.

I realise Pearl uses this as a major selling point of the e-pro but it's a wank really since you can always go the A2E (Acoustic to Electronic) route.
This way you can buy the A-kit of your dreams (or within your budget), drop in some triggers, put on some mesh heads and away you go (while still having the facility to switch the heads back to mylar and using it as an A-kit at any time).
Yes, there's a bit more work involved but at least you'll be calling the shots when it comes to kit/ trigger/ module selection and not be bound by Pearl's standards.

Will you be satisfied? Only you can decide - after you make the switch. For me, absolutely no. If you live in an apartment and want to practice, you might be happy for a while. If you like playing acoustic drums then (IMO) you won't ever be satisfied w/ anything electronic. They play, sound, look and feel completely different.

Back