pre-recorded tracks

fsantoro5

i am currently in a band that uses pre-recorded tracks. as a drummer, what should i be using to play effectively. this seems very difficult to do

Are you asking about what programs to use or how to play along?

I am sure about the program, but playing toa click is a must.

I'm pretty sure you need the backing tracks in your headphones, or at least a metronome click to keep you in time. So you need a headset that is connected to something that feeds the backing tracks, or a click, to your headphones
As far as how do you play along....it's like playing to a metronome, AKA a click track or just a click.

how do i play along ?

This is a terribly worded question. I am going to assume you are not trolling, but this would be great if you were.

I don't understand what you are asking. Isn't the obvious answer to put the tracks in your headphones or monitor along with a click track. This will all need to be done in pro-tools to get the backing track and click onto one track.

If what I said doesn't make any sense to you. My advice would be to ditch the backing tracks and hire some musicians.

the tracks are karoake that are put onto a laptop and played thru a pa system. as a drummer, my question is can i possibly play along without a click, even with a head set ?

the tracks are karoake that are put onto a laptop and played thru a pa system. as a drummer, my question is can i possibly play along without a click, even with a head set ?

Denpends on the arrangement. If you are playing along to a full band, dont worry about a click. If the tracks are sparse and you are required to play through silence, a click isn't a bad idea.

Headphones would be beneficial so you can hear the music better and not ruin your ears.

So is it just you playing along to karaoke tracks? No other instrument players? Just singers I am guessing?

No we have a guitar player and keyboard player. I haven't tried a headset yet, maybe that is the answer

do you think i need a drum module ?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the easiest way to run tracks:

-All songs are loaded to an iPod. They should be stereo mixed MP3's with a click on one side and the backing track on the other.

-Using a stereo Y cable (channel splitting cable) run the iPod into a small mixer.
Plug the click cable into one channel and the music cable into a DI box.
Run a cable from the 1/4" out on the DI back to another channel on your mixer.
Pan them hard left and right. (If your click is on the left, pan that channel left)
This way you will have each on separate channels and can control the volume of each for yourself.

-Plug in your headphones and you should have both the tracks and the click in your headphones and can mix both for yourself.

-Plug an XLR into your DI box and run that to the PA

Back