Any ideas to straighten a bent 2.3 hoop?

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
My 10" tom kind of fell like maybe 18" onto my carpeted van floor. That was enough to slightly bend one of the hoops. I can't fit a drumhead in it unless I force it in with my thumbs. Any suggestions on how to get the hoop back in round?

Tell you what, that little bit of binding on the head made it near impossible to tune. I kept getting these wacky overtones. At the time, I didn't realize the hoop bent. I finally figured it out though.

Imo, getting it in round is the easy part for a triple flange hoop. The difficult part being getting it back to flat, which in my experience, is near impossible....

Larry you might have to find some kind of conical and round "form"....graduated diameter, ie conical top down....and slide the hoop over it and press it down to force it into round.

Even that seems like too much effort for something as common as a hoop...it's almost a consumable for a heavily gigged kit.

Heck, toss it and just buy a new one and save the hassle of having to wonder if there will be tuning issues

Larry, I seem to remember someone experiencing a similar issue in Dunnett's forum a little while back. Basically there is no scientific way to do it, just get a stick and stretch that baby till it looks right. You're a fellow that's not afraid to work with his hands so I'd wager you have a level in your garage.

Get a time machine, go back in time to the night it bent, and prevent the fall! Easy!! :)

I'm with schemp - toss it and get a new one. I remember twisting and denting a hoop and there was nothing I could do to get it back in alignment. When I calculated the hours of work I was spending on trying to straighten out this hoop, I could've bought a new one three times!

Best bet is to just replace it.

Hey Larry !

Stop abusing your Guru drums !

LOL

Back