Traveling with drum gear.

SkyBlue

Hey guys, I'm new to D.W and I'll start off by saying I've been on the forum various times in the past just reading about things. I'm 17, and have been playing for about 4 years. Today I decided it was time to register as I had a question in mind. I've used the search button but to no avail.

How would you go about traveling with drum gear? I'm no touring artist, and I currently live in the United Arab Emirates but plan on moving back to the 'States soon. I'm selling my current drum set, and I've decided to keep the price down... just enough to buy a used drum set I found on craigslist. Doing so I kept my Tama IC double pedal, I'm sure a lot of you know it has a hard case. Would this be better to travel as a carry on item? Should I put it in my suit case? Same thing with cymbals, I plan on going to England in the short while, and while there I plan on picking up some cymbals.

Anything recommendations would be helpful! Thanks.

I have traveled quite a bit, so I will attempt to offer some insight. Carrying on the IC hardcase is an option, but it will be your only carry on, so it will limit what you can bring on with you. Carrying on cymbals will be difficult because they wont fit in an overhead, so you will be better off putting those in the middle of your suitcase.

I would ship everything I could to your final destination and meet them when you get here. It will save you some stress and effort in moving your gear.

Well, seeing as it's just the IC + hardcase, I'm unsure if it'd be worth shipping. I just want to ensure that everything will be okay taking on-board (no security issues, etc). As expensive as they are for a 17 year old; the money to replace them should they get broken is in mind.

Back