Ludwig Artists/Famous Kits (need some opinions)

ludwig-75

I thought I could get some help from my fellow Ludwig enthusiasts on this one. In my drum rooms I have several logo heads of famous Ludwig artists displayed on the walls. In preparation for a basement remodel, I thought I would change up the displays as well. I've contacted a drum builder for some very shallow shells ( 6" deep) to be mounted on the walls with the logo head then displayed on a shell. The question is, what is the color most associated with the Ludwig drummers? I know the Beatles head will be black oyster pearl, and the Bonham shell will be an orange vistalite, but i'm not sure on some of the others. Here is the breakdown of what I have so far;

The Beatles/R.Starr-Black Oyster Pearl
Led Zepplin/J.Bonham-Orange Vistalite
Queen/R. Taylor--?
The Doors/J. Densmore-- (red sparkle ?)
Cheap Trick/B.E. Carlos--?
Van Halen/ AVH--?
KISS/E. Carr--(mirrored chrome ?)

I know there are multiple images online (and a ton more famous artists), but what color do you think is most closely associated with the drummer?

A few pics of the drum rooms too. Many Thanks!

Brandon

Attachments

• drumroom.jpg
    drumroom.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 1,276
  • drumroom2.jpg
    drumroom2.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 1,250
I thought I could get some help from my fellow Ludwig enthusiasts on this one. In my drum rooms I have several logo heads of famous Ludwig artists displayed on the walls. In preparation for a basement remodel, I thought I would change up the displays as well. I've contacted a drum builder for some very shallow shells ( 6" deep) to be mounted on the walls with the logo head then displayed on a shell. The question is, what is the color most associated with the Ludwig drummers? I know the Beatles head will be black oyster pearl, and the Bonham shell will be an orange vistalite, but i'm not sure on some of the others. Here is the breakdown of what I have so far;

The Beatles/R.Starr-Black Oyster Pearl
Led Zepplin/J.Bonham-Orange Vistalite
Queen/R. Taylor--?
The Doors/J. Densmore-- (red sparkle ?)
Cheap Trick/B.E. Carlos--?
Van Halen/ AVH--?
KISS/E. Carr--(mirrored chrome ?)

I know there are multiple images online (and a ton more famous artists), but what color do you think is most closely associated with the drummer?

A few pics of the drum rooms too. Many Thanks!

Brandon

Ringo,yes Oyster black pearl
John Bonham actually his vistalites were Amber,not orange.Green and silver sparkle,stainless steel
Roger Taylor had a few silver sparkel kits
Bun E had lots of different kits but has a Ludwig Citrus Mod in his name.
Alex was playing a black and white striped vistalite kit for a while
Densmore...Mod orange
Eric Carr silver mist and black cortex mostly.

Steve B

I think Alex Van Halen should be associated with the first Van Halen kit we saw in the sleeve of Van Halen II - silver sparkle. He's had many different colours since then but that's what I will always remember.

I think you're right on Eric Carr - mirror chrome sounds right.
But I saw a few pics of John Densmore playing an orange psychedelic. That color would've suited him and the Doors at that time anyway..

And although Bonham is most famous for the amber vistalite, I would lean towards green sparkle for him.

Awesome room!!

Ringo obviously the 60's Black Oyster.

Roger Taylor had a nice Chrome set up for a while when they were pretty huge. That was my fave RT kit, but the Black, or Silver Sparkle are good choices for him.

Densmore makes me think of Psych./Mod Orange.

Eric Carr's Ludwig poster had the Black kit, but he also had Red Sparkle, Silver Silk (his first Kiss kit), Chrome... The Chrome and RS had the Japanese symbol Kiss used on them.

AVH to me is always the Stainless Steel first, then the B/W stripes. I remember the SS too, but the Stainless Steel was it for me-- WITH the stick on numbers on the shells, and "FLAMMABLE" on the side of the bass drum :)

Bonham (and Carmine) are Thermogloss all the way for me. Amber Vista too. I don't care for Green Sparkle much, but that's just me.

Bun E., the original Marine Pearl for Ludwig, but he broke big on Black Diamond (but were Slingerland). I LOVE his Maple kit, just sounds fantastic, but, Citrus Mod Sparkle is his sig. color...

Mike Derosier of Heart is Thermogloss with Copper hardware, Mick Fleetwood Silver Sparkle.... you're gonna need a bigger room haha!

Thanks for the replies everyone. Leaning towards the following;

Starr--BOP
Bonham--Amber Vistalite
Taylor--Silver Sparkle
AVH--Black/White stripe
Carlos--WMP
Densmore--Mod Orange
Carr--Mirrored Chrome

Brandon

i would make the display shells with the color of the kit that each head was used on that tour. i have a bunch of tour kick heads too, and that's what i'm going to do.

Back