band advice from fellow drummers?

AidenEclipse666

hey everyoneI I just recently joined a band after the original drummer was fired for being "unreliable". Anyway this band was still quite new when i joined but i feel like the bassist and guitarist are always pulling in two different directions an example, the other day the bassist and myself were listening to the riffs the guitarist was showing us and in the middle of it the bassist just got up and walked away turned his bass on louder than the guitar and started trying to make a completly different song...or in the middle of jamming someone will say he needs a walk and not come back till the next day. Theres always something that keeps us from completing even one song and it disapoints me because i dont wanna start looking for a new band i like these guys and can easily get along with them and it doesnt hurt they can play there instruments well. I guess the question im really trying to ask is if anyone else has had to go through this and if theres a way i can motivate my friends to take our music serious, other musicians in my area are very very limited and most are either much older than me or are already in a band...
...thanks any help is greatly appreciated!
-Aiden-

Might be worth hanging around to get experience and grow together. They might benefit from your input and they might have some thoughts that could be helpful to your playing. Early on, it's good to hang with a band and see how it goes until you outgrow it.

Bands are hard. There're always prima donnas, egos, insecurities, differences of taste, opinion and ability, and so on and so forth.

Generally, the bands the "make" it in any substantial way are the ones that:

1. Are individually talanted
2. Have good material
3. Get along
4. Have the time to put the time in

That's basically it. The big breaks and lucky hits will come, so long as these 4 things are in place. Usually, bands fail because one of these four aren't met. With my last major band, we struggled on three of the four. At least one member wasn't talented enough, we were always arguing, and some of us couldn't put the time in. We did at least have very good material...

Sometimes a band needs one strong and visioned member that can corral all the energies and focus everyone in a common direction. Like a spiritual leader type person, someone who can rally the troops. Since you have such a clear overview of the situation, it would behoove you to play this role. It can all be done with well selected words, assuming your people will respond to that kind of positive leadership.

Here's a hint, tell them how good they are and could they help you do this or that. Make them feel like they're awesome, then ask for their help. You have to ask in a respectful manner, and make it like it's a personal request. This works with nearly everybody and is a useful tactic with regards to steering people in the direction you want them to go in. Get them to agree to help, then hold them to it when they flake out.

Musicians need focus, and sometimes bands need one person who will provide that service. Just be advised, if you do it, and it works out...your reward is that you get to keep doing it.

Although it pains me to say it... I think that sometimes if a group of people do not gel together properly then you are in for trouble. Give it time but if this problem is still persisting in a few months then consider replacing one or more members of your new band!

Whats the focus of the band?

Is it everyones primary income?

Garage/for fun?

..sounds like the latter.

Different ways to approach it for each.

As a business, there would be someone handling the business aspects...and hiring/firing is one of those.

As a "for fun" project, talk openly and be ready to look elsewhere for a more satisfying experience if the conversations go badly or are completly ignored.

Back