Pain from Playing???

drumgeek93

Hey guys, I'm 18 years old and I am having pain that I apparently shouldn't be having. I just went to the doctor, and he told me I had tendinitis in my right knee, he gave me a brace, and my wrists were hurting bad as well. I got cortisone shots, and so far things are looking up. Anybody else had this problem? I'm on the kit a lot. (6 or 7 hours a day) So I'd say my joints take a good beating.

You should get a drum teacher who knows how to "properly" play drums (posture, how to hold sticks, etc..) You shouldn't be hurting from playing drums.

My opinion, but no 18 year old - actually nobody - should get cortisone injections. It just masks the underlying cause of your pain, is dangerous, and only puts unnecessary bucks in the pockets of doctors. I'm amazed doctors are so quick to inject. See a chiropractor instead. Good luck.

As a health care worker, I will just mention that you may have an underlying predisposition for ailments such as these.

Check your family history (arthritis, carpal tunnel, RSI, marfans syndrome).

You may need to ease up on your practice if this is the case.

Cortisone injections will be wonderful for a few months, then, as it wears off, you will be in a worse situation as you continually practice...worsening the inflammation.

Be very careful...you may have a short drumming career if you dont look after yourself

Thanks guys, I have switched my technique around a lot.. I played open handed, I have now switched to playing right handed and in traditional grip. Seems to be helping my wrist.. I apparently have congenital cysts in my wrists, that can be surgically removed, and the knee brace I am wearing is helping alot. It sucks to know I'm alone in having this problem, and I hope nothing worsens. Thanks for the response guys!

good to hear it has sort of worked out
i wish i could learn trad grip, it looks so boss

Back