Who are some good "slow" drummers?

Which drummer was with Yes when they recorded Wish You Were Here and Comfortably Numb?

Those two songs were about 10 years apart. It may have been Bruford on the first and White on the second.

jonutarr's right ... nice brain fade, INOG ... lol ... I really enjoyed Ian Paice's playing on Stairway to Heaven too ... or was that Bill Ward? :) Seriously, yes, Nick Mason is a great example. A similar type of solid player was Simon Kirke from Free and Bad Company.

Bermuda's and Drunfreak's lists are good. Some people's definitions of "slow" are questionable.

Then there's Joe Vitale from Joe Walsh's band: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CimBddCrrPA

Chris Layton from SRV's band.

Rick Marotta's work with Steely Dan and Steve Khan is top drawer.

Many many drummers in popular bands in the 80s didn't blow a lot of chops.

Many many MANY too many to list!

I'll start with a few off the top of my head:

Jim Keltner
Hal Blaine
Vinnie (when asked)
Steve Ferrone (when asked)
Josh Freese (also when asked)
Ron Tutt
JR
Mick Fleetwood
Russ Kunkel
the Marotta brothers
Kenny Aronoff
Eddie Bayers
Paul Liem
Ringo

Basically, most of the drummers you hear on recordings are playing "slow" compared to the speed metal, fusion and jazz guys. The "fast" guys who are known only for that and are successful at it with any real exposure to non-drummers*, are in the minority.

Bermuda

* Ask a guitar player who Thomas Pridgen is!

How could you forget Steve Gadd, LOL

I'm currently listening to Steely Dan's "Live in America" CD (in anticipation of their arrival in Sydney in two months). The track "Third World Man" is a glorious, very slow song with beautiful drumming by Peter Erskine.

Dutch

I think Phil Rudd from AC-DC has the best money-to-beats ratio in the industry.

Then Matt Sorum is a simple yet rock solid drummer. The perfect drummer for his bands. (Can you imagine "Sweet Child o' Mine" played by Mike Portnoy? Ugh).

There was a time when I hated this kind of drummers. I liked the guys who made themselves noticed and made everyone say "HOLY $&%&! listen to that drumroll!". With time, more and more, I find myself playing less and less, even though I actually can play more than I did before.

Chad Smith from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers could be added to this list too.

PS: I don't like the term "slow", it sounds like a bad thing. I'd call them practical, simple, economical, IDK.. I don't like "slow" because all this guys could play fast if they wanted too.

Anyway, cheers!

Most of all the guys I would have said are on this thread already.

However I have a new name that some may have heard of: Jay Bellerose.

Jay is right out of the Jim Keltner school of coming up with excellent, organic and interesting parts using uncoventional means. He's touring right now with Ray LaMontagne and the Pariah Dogs. I've seen him with Ray on Elvis Costello's Spectacle show and recently on Live at The Artists Den.

Really cool stuff. Check him out.

Jim

Actually, it's not so much you need to be looking for the drummers, just listen to the music you like that grooves. You might be surprised who would be playing on it. As a kid, I was so disappointed that all my favorite drummers were either Hal Blaine or Earl Palmer!

Stanton Moore
Patrick Carney ( black keys )
Russell Simmons ( blues explosion )
Plan Bs drummer dont know his name

Don Henley, tasteful, impactful, yet not lightning fast fills.

I think Phil Rudd from AC-DC has the best money-to-beats ratio in the industry.

Then Matt Sorum is a simple yet rock solid drummer. The perfect drummer for his bands. (Can you imagine "Sweet Child o' Mine" played by Mike Portnoy? Ugh).

There was a time when I hated this kind of drummers. I liked the guys who made themselves noticed and made everyone say "HOLY $&%&! listen to that drumroll!". With time, more and more, I find myself playing less and less, even though I actually can play more than I did before.

Chad Smith from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers could be added to this list too.

PS: I don't like the term "slow", it sounds like a bad thing. I'd call them practical, simple, economical, IDK.. I don't like "slow" because all this guys could play fast if they wanted too.

Anyway, cheers!

My thoughts too.. The KISS principle is my method. "Keep It Simple and Solid".

Phil Rudd is my hero !!

http://youtu.be/VCitGX5XvyI

Simple stuff but effective I think...?

Last edited:
I think it all depends on what type of music we r backing, if Steve Gadd agreed to play on
"The trooper" by Maiden, he will be never be the same.

just a wild thought :)

Stanton Moore at times. He plays alot of funky New Orleans stuff but is quite capable of playing "slow" grooves. He can be a machine like Ringo.

Back