Orchestral percussionists?

Strange to say the least. My old college percussion instructor was a big Cage fan. We did this in a theate converted from an old warehouse. It was called the Warehouse Theater (duh). Most of my collegues didn't enjjoy it much, but I had a lot of fun. Sorry, I'm rambling.

Sounds like that must have been quite the concert to attend! Lol

One of my favorites is his piano work, "4:33". You really have to listen for the subtleties.

I have some questions regarding Concert / Symphonic / Orchestral snare drums and I'd also like some feedback on the models I've been developing...

Anyone?

I have some questions regarding Concert / Symphonic / Orchestral snare drums and I'd also like some feedback on the models I've been developing...

Anyone?

I'd love to see what you're working on! I'll try my best to satisfy your questions!

I'm into mallet perc... currently working on Restless by Rich O'Meara

I don't believe i've heard it.. what instrument is it for? 2/4 mallet?

One of my favorites is his piano work, "4:33". You really have to listen for the subtleties.

Haha yeah, i've heard that piece.. there's a recording of a full orchestra "playing" that piece on youtube!

Re:4:33

You "haven't heard" it till you've been in a darkened warehouse theater in the round with a bunch of "high roller" old biddies in their tuxes and firs who are not familiar with Cage. Especially when done by a well known fine pianist who is expected to play with great skill and technique. It's simply amazing!

Anyone?

Ron,

I've never played on one of your drums, nay, never even seen one in person. My expertise is on the "other side" of the percussion section , but I have played my fair share of snare. I personally prefer a dry, rather gutty drum that is not too high pitched. I like my old "classic" Ludwig 6 lugger on which I have put flanged hoops. It is "gutty" enough for my taste.

Drum Set  Pics 004.jpg

I would love to try one of yours on, say, something like Bolero. I've played it once but I'll probably never get the chance to do it again.

That's quite humorous about 4:33! That must have been great!

I would have to agree, that an orchestral snare drum HAS to be DRY! The more dry, the better.. and it has to be incredibly articulate at low volumes, all the way to high volume situations.. I also really like the option of different options for the snares. I often find myself liking a drum that has cables for the snares because of the extremely dry nature of the cables, but they're not great for rolling on. So with multiple snare options on one drum, you can really get a lot of different tones depending which snares are engaged..

Yeah its not that famous. Also not a real hard piece, but I haven't played 4 mallets for that long.

Ahh, I see. Is it for marimba? Maybe out of a book or collection?

I hope it's at least a fun piece, because I think a lot of the "harder" pieces just aren't very fun!

i was a music ed major in college and been in concert band from 4th grade till senior year of college .. 2 years out and havn't been near a concert band or orchestra since .. but i still rock out on my marimba

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQjBPwEGK7U .. just recorded this tonight .. very sloppy attempt at rainbow in the dark by dio

I played in high school and a community band. Chimes, tympani, snare, glock, bells, temple blocks, wood block, ratchet,....etc.

Yes I played.

I want brass chimes!

Back