Introduction

t120bonneville

Hello all! I have been lurking here for quite some time and thought it only proper that I introduce myself.

I live in Iowa currently and have been playing drums for a long time!! ( 30 years!!), man that hurts to admit that! I am currently in a small Jazz combo but have played just about everything through the years. Started playing in the Cleveland area in Jr. High and never stopped! Briefly went to MI in California, but that was a bit much for a kid, came home within a year.

Although I wish I could say that Music was my full time gig, those days are long gone-nowadays I just play for fun and earn my living elsewhere. As a matter of fact my band consists of two Doctors, a Lawyer and a High School Music teacher. Funny how many people successful in their professional lives are also closet Musicians.

Currently I am continuing my drumming education by going through all of John Riley's stuff, great material!!!! Would love to meet him someday and thank him for the great "lessons".

I'm a HUGE Brubeck fan, have been since I was a kid, Joe Morello is just incredible. Also a big Prog-rock fan ( Rush, Genesis, Dream Theater, Spock's Beard). As I get older though, I am more drawn to Jazz and am always learning something.

I assist the local Middle School Jazz band and have a few students that I enjoy very much.

Not much of an equipment hound and as a matter of fact have been playing the same set of beat-up Pearls for years. K Cymbals. Might upgrade this year we will see. I'm sure you can guess I'm a traditional grip player only, learned it in the marching band and never even thought of changing.

I will most likely not contribute too much to the board as there are so many more knowledgeable people on here! I am really blown away by the professionalism on this board and the knowledge that is shared. I wish this was around when I was a kid but am glad it's here now I have learned alot from you guys, thanks.

Hello all! I have been lurking here for quite some time and thought it only proper that I introduce myself.

I live in Iowa currently and have been playing drums for a long time!! ( 30 years!!), man that hurts to admit that! I am currently in a small Jazz combo but have played just about everything through the years. Started playing in the Cleveland area in Jr. High and never stopped! Briefly went to MI in California, but that was a bit much for a kid, came home within a year.

Although I wish I could say that Music was my full time gig, those days are long gone-nowadays I just play for fun and earn my living elsewhere. As a matter of fact my band consists of two Doctors, a Lawyer and a High School Music teacher. Funny how many people successful in their professional lives are also closet Musicians.

Currently I am continuing my drumming education by going through all of John Riley's stuff, great material!!!! Would love to meet him someday and thank him for the great "lessons".

I'm a HUGE Brubeck fan, have been since I was a kid, Joe Morello is just incredible. Also a big Prog-rock fan ( Rush, Genesis, Dream Theater, Spock's Beard). As I get older though, I am more drawn to Jazz and am always learning something.

I assist the local Middle School Jazz band and have a few students that I enjoy very much.

Not much of an equipment hound and as a matter of fact have been playing the same set of beat-up Pearls for years. K Cymbals. Might upgrade this year we will see. I'm sure you can guess I'm a traditional grip player only, learned it in the marching band and never even thought of changing.

I will most likely not contribute too much to the board as there are so many more knowledgeable people on here! I am really blown away by the professionalism on this board and the knowledge that is shared. I wish this was around when I was a kid but am glad it's here now I have learned alot from you guys, thanks.

Welcome to this community. It sounds like you have a lot to contribute (e.g. your opinion about not being a gear hound or the usefulness of John Riley's work) and I hope to hear more from you.

Best wishes

GJS

Back