Avenues for selling gear?

zfzgg

Hi everybody, two simple questions here related to selling gear:

1) - What are my options for advertising? What's the best way?
Ebay, craigslist, fliers outside the local drumshop, spamming every internet forum you're a member of.... What has worked for you in the past?

2) - How do you determine what your gear is worth?
I have quite a lot of gear I'm looking to sell. I have no idea what a reasonable asking price is for any of it. Condition ranges from "used once, has been sitting on my shelf for 12 months" to "regular use for 6 years, no damage aside from stick marks and slightly faded logos". What process do you use to determine a reasonable asking price?

Cheers!!

I'd go with ebay personally. I'd also advertise on the Classifieds thread here on DW: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2601 If using forums though, I'd advertise in the correct place.....don't just randomly spam.

As for price, the value of something is determined by what someone else is willing to pay for it. Check ebay and CL for similar items that have sold recently, that should give you a good indication of fair value.

I'm a big fan of CL. Obviously there are risks involved with inviting complete strangers into your house. I've had people meet me in public places before while buying gear from them. I'm constantly checking what's for sale on CL and ebay to keep up with what the going rates are for stuff. The easy way is to average a few SOLD prices on ebay. Start at the higher range and offer OBO if you want a little wiggle room.

Depending on where you're located, craigslist can be your easiest and best bet. To price stuff, I usually just look at the list price and cut it in half. Generally, that works for used stuff thats in decent condition. Of course, with CL, haggling is strongly encouraged. You can get really good prices for stuff if you negotiate well, and take nice pictures.

For me, eBay all the way. But, depending on where you live and what your selling, Craigs List, might work well.​
Personally, I don't wanna deal with the "flippers" on Craigs List. Guys that buy low, sell high. Hey, I understand, that's the way they make a living ... that's cool ... I just don't wanna be the guy "taking the hit" so they can "make top dollar". I may not be no "computer wizard", but I can run an eBay auction.​
If you don't know what something's worth, just look on eBay. See what "like "items sell for. You can set a reserve, or a minimum bid/starting price. If no one bids, your price is too high. Pretty darn organic system.​

Hi everybody, two simple questions here related to selling gear:

1) - What are my options for advertising? What's the best way?
Ebay, craigslist, fliers outside the local drumshop, spamming every internet forum you're a member of.... What has worked for you in the past?

2) - How do you determine what your gear is worth?
I have quite a lot of gear I'm looking to sell. I have no idea what a reasonable asking price is for any of it. Condition ranges from "used once, has been sitting on my shelf for 12 months" to "regular use for 6 years, no damage aside from stick marks and slightly faded logos". What process do you use to determine a reasonable asking price?

Cheers!!

i'd vote ebay. ive only had good experience buying gear off there. you can get lucky with prices too.

what about selling it to an actual drum shop?

Ebay would be my choice as well, if selling online is the route I chose. Too many horror stories involving CL for me to take a chance there. But as already mentioned, I'm a big fan of giving a drum shop a chance to help you out. Even more so if you're selling to upgrade, no telling what kind of deal you might be able to strike.

Ebay would be my choice as well, if selling online is the route I chose. Too many horror stories involving CL for me to take a chance there. But as already mentioned, I'm a big fan of giving a drum shop a chance to help you out. Even more so if you're selling to upgrade, no telling what kind of deal you might be able to strike.

listen to this guy, lol, thats a fantastic idea. trading in somewhat for something you might really dig is awesome. he's right about deals too, because i mean with mark up pricing they can cut quite a lot of listed prices anyway. so if you have gear to give thats in good conditions ( and yours sounds like it is) you may find yourself in a very nice situation.

Back