What's your biggest drumming frustration as a beginner?

I still have one frustration that sometimes pops up: hitting the snare correctly.

Either I hit my left leg, I do rim shots all the time or the stick doesn't hit the head at all! Can someone provide a remedy? What's the proper height and angle of the SD and the leg position?

For me it's always been the boredom of practice. I get bored quickly and just start shuffling or something to alleviate the boredom, so consequently, I never seem to make any forward progress.

Then I get frustrated with my lack of progress and figure I should just quit, until I start to miss it and go back to the kit....and repeat the same cycle!

The most frustrating thing for me is learning to read music. I did the right thing by finding a proper teacher, but he is adamant about learning to read (and I absolutely understand why)...... but I spent 25 years playing the guitar....almost exclusively by ear, and I can't help but approach the drums the same way..... I hear/listen to everything I play.....I can't put 2 bars of notes together to save my life, I just noodle with headphones, and figure everything out........I'm not sure if it's more frustrating to him or me, but I just can't bring myself to learn, it's Russian to me..... and life is to short.(it's ashame really, 5+ years, and I have to stare at a bar for minutes to figure it all out......)

limb independence

knowledge of what to buy even after extensive research and asking around (all good to do in order to prepare, but in the end, it's all trial and error)

lack of drum terminology when trying to talk drums

and how do i raise the height of my hi-hat ?

1. I suck at limb independence, too. We'll both get it eventually, though =D
2. Walk into a shop and ask to try out their kits and cymbals.
3. That'll come eventually.
4. On your Hi-Hat stand there should be a handle-screw-thingy about halfway down. It'll be located where the top, slightly slimmer section of the Hi-Hat telescopes into the bottom, slightly fatter section. First, twist the handle to loosen your Hi-Hats (like you do when you set up how high they are when the pedal is not pressed).Twist the 'handle-screw-thingy' that's halfway down to un-do it. Grab the slightly slimmer section and lift it. It should glide upwards. Once you've got it at your desired height, tighten everything again. If you still don't get what I'm saying, PM me, and I'll show you how to do it with a picture.

I'm still having trouble learning whether to play with my wrist or let the sticks bounce twice on doubles for example. Some people say different things. it's so confusing

Back