Simple Solos-Ideas

F

fusssion

All, ...
Let me start by saying that I don't like to solo. WHAT??!! ..I know, I know ....

But really, I just don't. Just let me lay it down nice and strong and that's fine with me.

For some reason the solo just perplexes me to the point that I just don't even consider it. I know my bandmates wouldn't mind something, but I just prefer not. So .....

Link me some videos of SIMPLE / SHORT solos that I can be inspired from ....any style/type of music, etc,........

Thanks in advance.......

Last edited:
Hey
I usually hate soloing as well but I did do one once.
It was a latin kinda pop tune. I was pretty much doing a songo in the verses and then a more disco flavoured thing in the chorus. My solo was 8 bars but with band playing on every one beat of every bar. I basically started by doing my songo groove, then I moved down to do some snare tom work. I played my hihat and bass drum powerful on every 1 beat with the band. At my final bar I did some cuban triplets at the edge of the snare.

I think the reason a lot of drummers don't like solos...it's got to be one of the hardest instruments to make a solo that doesn't clear the floor.

I don't have any solos to post, but one tactic I do when I am forced to solo is to start with just an 8th note ostinato on the hi hat (using foot chicks) for one measure, and without stopping that ostinato EVER, I begin to phrase around the kit with my other 3 limbs. This allows any dancers to keep moving (because you are still keeping the time with your HH) and gives me a predictable anchor to wrap phrases around. In my mind, the ostinato is akin to a trellis that tomato plants cling to so they don't fall over. Works 4 me.

I think the reason a lot of drummers don't like solos...it's got to be one of the hardest instruments to make a solo that doesn't clear the floor.

I don't have any solos to post, but one tactic I do when I am forced to solo is to start with just an 8th note ostinato on the hi hat (using foot chicks) for one measure, and without stopping that ostinato EVER, I begin to phrase around the kit with my other 3 limbs. This allows any dancers to keep moving (because you are still keeping the time with your HH) and gives me a predictable anchor to wrap phrases around. In my mind, the ostinato is akin to a trellis that tomato plants cling to so they don't fall over. Works 4 me.

Not bad Larry, thanks! That said though, ...I couldn't care less about "clearing a dance floor" ;) ....I'm thinking somethng short enough where people dont' have time to realize what's going on, ..then it's over.

I'm thinking ... 30 seconds, to 1 minute ...TOPS !!

Well if you aren't worrying about clearing the floor, then you can do whatever comes to mind for a minute or so. To me, clearing the floor is just plain unacceptable, so I came up with that solution because it's easy for me to stick to. I don't do the physical impressive feats of strength with the octupus flailing arms type of solo, I'm just happy to keep the groove, and play something that has some semblance of musicality, phrasing, direction, continuity and coheseivness, until I can get through it so I can resume making REAL music ha ha.

Well if you aren't worrying about clearing the floor, then you can do whatever comes to mind for a minute or so. To me, clearing the floor is just plain unacceptable, so I came up with that solution that is easy for me to stick to. I don't do the physical impressive feats of strength with the octupus flailing arms type of solo, I'm just happy to keep the groove, and play something that has some semblance of musicality, phrasing, direction, continuity and coheseivness, until I can get through it so I can resume making REAL music ha ha.

Grooving makes MOST sense for sure though, ...don't get me wrong, I understand it. All I was saying is ....we're not a 'dance' band per se, so it's usually not a concern of "floor clearing" .....

This one from my favourite rock/punk hybrid groove player does it for me. Simple, snappy and keeps the audience going. Quads don't have to be so fast & triplets will do just as well. Moving the same pattern around the kit keeps it simple but adds some visual theatre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzlDFCUxbPs&feature=related

This is a nice one,...and exactly the type of thing I was looking for ....
I'm not great at quads , but can rip trips pretty nicely, so that's possible ......only thing is,...I tend to "triplet too much" if given the opportunity. That said though...if it sounds good, and it's easy to pull off, ....then....GO! :)

This is a nice one,...and exactly the type of thing I was looking for ....
I'm not great at quads , but can rip trips pretty nicely, so that's possible ......only thing is,...I tend to "triplet too much" if given the opportunity. That said though...if it sounds good, and it's easy to pull off, ....then....GO! :)
My thought is, if you can triplet with the kick all day long, then go for that. You can get some really intersting stuff going by moving around the kit, especially changing snare accent from left to right hand & back. Keep it short & snappy. Job done!

My thought is, if you can triplet with the kick all day long, then go for that. You can get some really intersting stuff going by moving around the kit, especially changing snare accent from left to right hand & back. Keep it short & snappy. Job done!

Hmmm, kind-a-like your screen name !! :) ....I like it!

Thanks ........

Keep it coming all!

Back