The artist and his band (advice needed)

BTTLS

Greetings DW,

(Background; skip if you're in a hurry.) Last month I started playing shows regularly with a singer/songwriter. He's picking up a following in this area pretty quickly, but the shows we play are typically small and free, so there's really no money involved in that. He has an album on iTunes, which has been gaining popularity, and a new single being released at the end of this month (neither of which I was involved in). He does most of the work himself, but has a few friends that help with website stuff and booking.

SO, tomorrow we will be tracking drums for his new full-length album, which I expect will sell pretty well in this area when it is released (his single will be on the radio next week). Since I have never worked as a part of a singer/songwriter's band before, I'm not really sure what that relationship should look like (business-wise). I cannot claim any of the songs we play as my own, since he wrote all of them as a solo artist. As much as I love playing with him (and we get along really well), I just want to make sure that I'm not inadvertently volunteering my time and skills to an artist who makes money.

Do any of you have experience working as a part of a singer/songwriter's band? I am looking for advice on how the business side of things should work.

Thanks!

(I suspect a heavy amount of TL;DR's will follow, lol.)

It's a crap-shoot, really. If the guy really likes you, likes the way you play his music and likes what you play on his record, and if you really like the guy and his music, then all you can do is hope he takes off, starts going places and brings you with him.
It really comes down to how worth it all is to you. But if he starts getting money gigs and stiffs the players then it's time to split. If, however, he's a decent enough guy to pay his players and treat them well then by all means hang on to it.
You definitely want to be listed on his CD cover. It's a much a demo for you as it is for him.
I got through a lot of doors by being associated with a singer/songwriter, made some contacts that have lasted to this very day. Just keep your eyes open, don't say too much unless asked and try to get as much from the situation as you can, including money if and when that starts happening. But don't crowd the guy. These "artists" can be kind of, well, sensitive!
If things really get happening then you'll want something in writing, but wait on that until the time is right.
Play it right and this guy won't be able to imagine anyone else playing the drums to his songs, and he'll want to keep you around. It just could turn into something, but, like I said, it's a crap-shoot, a roll of the dice. Good luck.

He should give you credit on the album, regardless of whether or not he pays for your services. Sounds like you guys are doing this for fun at this point so i wouldn't get bent out of shape, after all, what are you personally risking? Are you helping to finance the recording? If so, I'd negotiate for points on the record sales. If not, what are you giving up? a couple weekends to do something you love to do? What IS your relationship with this guy? Make sure you're on the same page before you proceed. I did drums for free, 6 tracks on my buddy's project last month, but again he was my buddy before the project started. If some guy hears me and wants me to do tracks for him, my going rate is $25 per hour as a studio musician.

Back