As if THAT ever happens...

FreDrummer

Silver Member
Our band played a gig last night. It was at bar up the highway from the city we live in, but it's a well-established watering-hole that occasionally has nationally known acts play there as they're passing through. The gig went great! The crowd was great, the staff was great -- I think EVERYBODY had a great time...

At the end of the night, the bar manager slips us an EXTRA $100!

Yeah, as is if THAT ever happens...

That is so cool. The owner must think that you guys are a really good band. That's great testimony of the quality of your band. In the 80's I was in a Christian rock band, playing originals. We were hired to play a teenage girl's birthday party. I think we agreed on 200. They paid us 500 and said they would like us to use the money to record. We ended up with an 8 song cassette. I still have a couple of copies.

At the end of the night, the bar manager slips us an EXTRA $100!

Yeah, as is if THAT ever happens...
It does happen if the band performs beyond the expectations of the venue in terms of overall entertainment & earnings for the night - something you obviously achieved. Congratulations!

As a side note, it's also most pleasing to hear of venue owners doing it right for a change, as opposed to the much more common reporting of exploitative behaviour. When my cover band gets tipped, not only does it contribute to a great feeling on the night, it makes us look forward to returning to that venue.

We played a party last year just down the road from us, because it was so close we only asked £300 but the guy beat us down to £280. On the night of the gig the guy comes up between the second and third set and hands me an envelope saying that we'd done a great job so he'd added a little extra...the envelope contained £600!

We were gobsmacked!

Mark

It's nice to know that there are some decent venue managers out there.

This sounds like a good business relationship and I’d hold on to it.

It happens more than you think... it's also good form for the band to offer to take a cut in pay in the event of a particularly SLOOOW night. When everyone works together it's a good thing.

Doesn't work for ALL venues - we all know those joints!!

That happens here in New England once in a while. A couple times a year, some of the places I play will groups extra. I'm not sure if it's because they really enjoyed the show, or if the bar did really well...

It happens more than you think... it's also good form for the band to offer to take a cut in pay in the event of a particularly SLOOOW night. When everyone works together it's a good thing.

Doesn't work for ALL venues - we all know those joints!!

Man, we make so much money for this one place that if there's a slow night, tough crap is my stance. We more than make up for it many times over.

We don't accept that request anymore. It sets a bad precedent. Not fair, because we don't get extra when they do well. We get a dinner and double pay once a year on New Years Eve, that's it for our bonus.

Back