The Rim Shock - Auxiliary Percussion for the Drum Kit

dale w miller

Silver Member
The Rim Shock - Auxiliary Percussion for the Drum Kit

Over my years of walking through the NAMM show, I always felt there was a niche that could be filled by products that really pushed the sonic boundary while still being practical and most importantly, musical. After many years of R&D of various ideas and help from some great people including some on here, the Rim Shock has been chosen as the first product that I am releasing under my new company, Kennedy Camden Auxiliary Percussion.

Any support that anyone can give here would be of great help. I am looking forward to the Rim Shock being a part of everyone's drum kit. Thank you.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dalewmiller/the-rim-shock-auxiliary-percussion-for-the-drum-ki

* I wish I could post some photos directly on here, but I cannot seem to be able to do this at this time. Nevertheless, they are on the Kickstarter link I posted above

I was able to size this for this thread.

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    298.7 KB · Views: 395
Yep. I would have to either put it at the top of the snare to keep from raking my fingers and knuckles all over it, or put it on a side snare not played often. Maybe it comes with gauze and tape.

Oh wow. I'd love to have one of these on my side snare for sure. Sounds and looks cool. I'd love to play one of these.

It seems to me to be very similar to the Hoop Crasher that Jojo Mayer developed with Sabian.

But then I could also be miles off. Who knows? Tune in next week for more fascinating insights.

It seems to me to be very similar to the Hoop Crasher that Jojo Mayer developed with Sabian.

But then I could also be miles off. Who knows? Tune in next week for more fascinating insights.

Your question & attitude does not surprise me. On Facebook I have seen a few actually verbally attack me regarding this comparison. I have been working on the Rim Shock in particular since I started in '11 and you would not believe how upset I was when I saw Jojo's product at NAMM in '14. I knew the comparisons were inevitable. I showed his to a few people at the show who knew & heard the prototype of the Rim Shock in person and they all said not to worry about it. At that point considering the amount of money already invested, I felt I was at a point of no return anyway.

Just to give you some of the differences, the Rim Shock allows you to play the middle of the drum sounding exactly how it does without it attached. It does not mute the drum because it does not rest on the head like Jojo's. The Rim Shock rest on the rim.

The Rim Shock rings freely when struck on it's own.

You can also strike a rim shot. Jojo's piece actually sits higher & above the rim which does not allow the rim to be hit. The classic Rim Shock sound is created by striking the rim, the drum and the Rim Shock all at once.

Depending on how you place it and if it is comfortable for you, you can strike the drum as a standard rim shot as well. I found that useful in one song I recently recorded with it. In fact, even a traditional placement of the Rim Shock, a standard rim click is possible as well while the Rim Shock is attached allowing many drum sounds available at one time.

Back