Flo Mounier

I have recently learned that Flo Mounier will actually be a WFD contestant at this month's NAMM world championships. I have a hard time swallowing this premise although it is apparently true. Flo Mounier vs.a bunch of high school kids in a head to head confrontation on the main outside stage. How surreal is that? I can understand him wanting to be part of some kind of video plug publicity. But to compete for the drumset and the cymbals against a bunch of young kids and 20 something unknowns? I just don't know. It doesn't sit well. Obviously the man has the chops. But you have to wonder about the kind of advice he is getting.

Okay, I think its pretty clear that people saying his solo isn't rhythmic are just biased against his style of playing. If you don't appreciate metal then that is your loss, but what is this about "his solo is so fast that it is not rhythmic"? Obviously there still exists rhythm at whatever speed he plays. If you mean that you can't discern where he is playing the notes and that he is just playing randomly with each limb, then maybe you're right but then again, who among us drummers doesn't occasionaly play randomly during a solo. The point of a solo is to showcase your skills and sound cool. Also, his drum tones do suck but that could have something to do with the video quality. I'm from a jazz and mainstream background, but i've recently come to love metal and if you arn't willing to look past the demonic thing then you will never fully realize what the music has to offer. To anybody who disputes that flo isn't one of the fastest AND most well rounded drummers on the planet, just listen to cryptopsy's new cd.

Humorous situation, Flourent will bring forth liquidation to these mortal teenagers.

But you still wonder why he does it?

If you watch Flos dvd youll be amazed,hes an amzing drummer! One of my faves,not jus for speed (altho partly) but the way he uses it

Okay, I think its pretty clear that people saying his solo isn't rhythmic are just biased against his style of playing. If you don't appreciate metal then that is your loss, but what is this about "his solo is so fast that it is not rhythmic"? Obviously there still exists rhythm at whatever speed he plays. If you mean that you can't discern where he is playing the notes and that he is just playing randomly with each limb, then maybe you're right but then again, who among us drummers doesn't occasionaly play randomly during a solo. The point of a solo is to showcase your skills and sound cool. Also, his drum tones do suck but that could have something to do with the video quality. I'm from a jazz and mainstream background, but i've recently come to love metal and if you arn't willing to look past the demonic thing then you will never fully realize what the music has to offer. To anybody who disputes that flo isn't one of the fastest AND most well rounded drummers on the planet, just listen to cryptopsy's new cd.
It's not that people are biased against metal. I love metal of all types just as much as the next guy, but that was not a very rhythmic. It's a fact, not a bias. It didn't feel good, it just felt fast. Yes, I enjoy his drumming, but that wasn't my favorite piece of it.

Well, what can i say?
He is one of the be(a)st metal drummers out there.

My hang out with Flo

My friend Jeff aka Granstar26 from http://www.united-by-drum.com and I got the opportunity the meet Flo Mounier and the whole Cryptopsy band for their last tour show in Rouyn-Noranda. Jeff met Flo last year for lessons and when he heard Flo would be in Rouyn, he didn't hesitate to ride 5 hours to let me meet Mr. Mounier and attending the show. Flo's a real humble, down to earth, generous & funny gentleman, it was like we were friends since forever. We shared pack of beers in the parking lot with the band then unloaded all gears from the U-Haul trailer and helped them as roadies & drum tech. After the soundcheck, Flo, Jeff and I went for dinner, we had a really nice discussion about everything & nothing. We headed back to the venue and waited for their time to step on stage.

Cryptopsy performance was amazing and for their last tour show gave all they've got. Think Flo's fast, he was even faster last night. The man can not only play death metal but in soundcheck, Flo played me some Jazz, layed down some known groove a la "walk this way" and some half-time shuffle.
He has such control of all his limb even at the fastest pace, it's amazingly freaking. After the show, we packed & load everything back and head out to some more beers at a nearby cabaret.

This morning I had to pinch myself for being sure it all really happened and to proove it really happened here some pics.

Flo & me
Flome.jpg

Helping Flo seting up his kit
Hepingflosetinghiskit.jpg

helpingflosetuphiskit.jpg

Me behind his kit
Mebehindflokit.jpg

Flo seting up his Reference cast steel snare
Flolastpiecestosetup.jpg

Flo's kit
Flokitfront.jpg

flokitfinish.jpg

Flokitfrombehind.jpg

Cryptopsy soundcheck
CryptopsySoundcheck.jpg

Having dinner with Flo
PreshowdinnerwithFlo.jpg

The crowd
Crowd.jpg

Flo's performance
Floperformance.jpg

Cryptopsy on stage
Cryptopsyperformance.jpg

My friend Jeff with Matt
JeffwithMatt.jpg

All in for all it was a blast

i got his dvd for my birthday and its definately worth checking out. He really does a great job explaining everything he's doing...he also goes in depth on things that normally people wouldnt put on their dvd. To me it felt less like HEY LOOK AT HOW COMPLETELY BADASS I AM ON THE KIT and more like HEY LET ME SHOW YOU HOW YOU CAN BE A BETTER DRUMMER IN GENERAL.

Man this guy is good,

I just attended his drum clinic in Abbotsford BC. Having booked Cryptopsy as headliner for Armstrong Metalfest this year...

http://armstrongmetalfest.ca/
https://www.facebook.com/armstrongmetalfest

... I got in contact with Flo about doing a private lesson, which totally went awry when we got started in the Drum room, and a guitar teacher came barging in yelling at us for making so much noise when he's "trying to have a music lesson in the next room here" (you would think a music-lesson facility would have soundproof rooms wouldn't you?) but oh well, still got to talk drums with one of my idols, and got lots of great info.

plus just look how ridiculously fast this guy is, here's a playthrough of two-pound-torch from the end of the clinic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywg2aNOWDPg
tough to figure out the tempo exactly, but that is ridiculously fast.

here's most of the same info from the clinic, recorded with drumeo the night before, there's some great off-the-kit exercises that I'm starting on while I'm at the office, also a demo of some new roland products:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW0hp2HmXak&feature=share

Last edited:
Loved that drumeo video.

Didn't know he was canfitpro certified, wich does explain how in depth he went on the muscle groups you use for all that warp speed stuff.

I was pretty amazed that he played a pearl vision kit. You'd expect a guy with his repertoire to play some of the top dollar series. Tons of respect for proving you don't need a +2grand kit to sound great.

That new roland module is perfect for my needs. Can upload my own samples into it for triggering without paying an arm & a leg and without having a gazillion inputs.

Back