Stacking 2 drums in 1 case

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I have a 16x16 skb case, and to save space last gig I put my 14x12 tom in there with a 14x5 snare... I put a cardboard carry bag in between them.

Does anyone else stack drums in one case or is this a bad idea? Does this lead to damaged bearing edges or hoops? What's a good, more permanent solution to storing 2 drums in one case?

I'm toying with the idea of getting an aliminium 13 as a gigging snare (even though I don't love 13's), just so they stack nicer, plus I don't really like the chad smith snare much anymore.

I used to have a Ragone case that held 12" and 13" toms. The two drums were separated by a plastic divider that was rigid, but not particularly thick.

I also used to carry up to three snares in a case that were separated by some DIY foam lined plastic dividers too.

Never a problem with either case.

Impact made two-tom cases, basically just a tall case with a foamed divider so the drums don't touch each other. Never a problem with them.

Bermuda

Cool. What y'all think about a 13" metal snare for gigging?

Had my eye on Yamaha brass, dw aluminium, almost considering wood too..

I'd put hoops on my jimbo snare but it would cost a bigger part of a new snare.

Cool. What y'all think about a 13" metal snare for gigging?

Had my eye on Yamaha brass, dw aluminium, almost considering wood too..

I'd put hoops on my jimbo snare but it would cost a bigger part of a new snare.

I love the 13s nowadays. So much so I bought two of them right off the bat. A 6.5x13 maple, and the same size in steel. I get a better tone and a nicer feel with both - or maybe I'm just excited about using something different after playing 14's all my life. But the 13s are working great for everything I do so far.

I love the sounds they make but I just find they lack a bit of the pop you get from a 14. But maybe the power + volume of metal will compensate and it's compactness will somehow lend itself to gigging.

I will have to see what depth a can get away with first.

Back