I'm going to Chicago--looking for stuff to do

wsabol

Gold Member
Hey guys,

I'm going to Chicago tomorrow and I'll be there through the weekend. I'm going to have a good amount of free time, so I'll hoping any forum members that live in Chicago can give me ideas of stuff to check out: Live bands, jam sessions, drum shops, vintage drums shops, whatever. What are some good bars in town? ..any with good live bands? If you want to meet up or if your band is playing, I'd be happy to drink and listen and chill. I'm doing some research on my own but would love to hear what the natives have to say. Looking forward to your responses!

See if the Cubs are in town.
Had a short business trip last July and we managed to catch a game at Wrigley.
Such a cool old ballpark, and the bar that's right outside the center field gate was a good pre-game warmup.

B.L.U.E.S

I had one night to spend in Chicago once. It was a Tuesday. I thought I'd get the quietest night of the week. I was wrong

Chicago Music Exchange is another great shop to check out. Some great vintage drum gear and plenty of new stuff to check out. Tell Rob I said hello!

Get some deep dish at Lou Malnati's, an Italian Beef sandwich at Al's on Taylor Street and a hot dog from Gene and Judes. If you're into jazz I would hit up The Green Mill.

There's always the skyscraper formerly known as the Sears Tower.
0219091737.jpg

I came in to say Vic's drum shop. I visited Chicago recently and that place blew my mind. Incredible selection! Also, if you like improv theatre, check out the IO or Second City. Hilarious!

The Weiner Circle is a great late night spot if you want a crazy experience and need some middle of the night drunk food and madness. Google it.

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. I was able to check out several of the places you recommended.

I got a deep dish at Lou Malnati's. Excellent. As a pizza addict, I can honestly say that that thing was INCREDIBLE.

Vic's Drum Shop is freaking awesome. I just about died when I saw there snare room. Then I actually died when I walked into the cymbal rooms. Pictures to come.

Buddy Guy's Legends looked really cool. I went by there during the day, so I didn't have a chance to get inside and listen to some real Chicago blues (tear). But it looks awesome. There signs said they open the bar at noon on saturday and sunday for live blues for lunch! That is nuts.

Steve Maxwell's shop was too far away, but I did REALLY want to get over there.

All in all Chicago is a fun town. I did some things I never thought I'd do like pay $10 for a light beer, or get out of a taxi in the middle of the road, but whatever, it was a lot of fun.

pics of Vics Drum Shop as promised..

the cymbal room is actually twice as big, that is only a picture in one of the rooms. Pretty much everything under 20" and under was in this room, and everything 20" and under was in the other.

ps. I can't play a didgeridoo, but I've always wanted to. I'm just me messing around.

Attachments

• SAM_0171.JPG
    SAM_0171.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 144
  • SAM_0172.JPG
    SAM_0172.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 145
  • SAM_0173.JPG
    SAM_0173.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 145
  • SAM_0174.JPG
    SAM_0174.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 142
  • SAM_0175.JPG
    SAM_0175.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 149
  • SAM_0176.JPG
    SAM_0176.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 138
  • SAM_0177.JPG
    SAM_0177.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 148
Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. I was able to check out several of the places you recommended.

I got a deep dish at Lou Malnati's. Excellent. As a pizza addict, I can honestly say that that thing was INCREDIBLE.

Vic's Drum Shop is freaking awesome. I just about died when I saw there snare room. Then I actually died when I walked into the cymbal rooms. Pictures to come.

Buddy Guy's Legends looked really cool. I went by there during the day, so I didn't have a chance to get inside and listen to some real Chicago blues (tear). But it looks awesome. There signs said they open the bar at noon on saturday and sunday for live blues for lunch! That is nuts.

Steve Maxwell's shop was too far away, but I did REALLY want to get over there.

All in all Chicago is a fun town. I did some things I never thought I'd do like pay $10 for a light beer, or get out of a taxi in the middle of the road, but whatever, it was a lot of fun.

I told you Vic's was awesome!!! I've been in there twice and didn't want to leave!!! Plus, he's just a great guy and does so much for the drummers in the area.

Back