Can a cowbell be attached anywhere on the set?

My cowbell is mounted directly onto the hi hat rod, above the clutch.

I use it a lot, and usually in the same way as I use the hats, so it made sense to me to have it there.

E.g., my band plays Love Shack, which has a cowbell on 1 - 3 -1 -and- 3, and I just switch between hats and cowbell for those hits.

I like to mount the cowbell on the bass drum in between my rack tom and ride

But there’s no rules for it, put it where it’s comfortable

Put it where it makes sense for you. Many rock drummers put it on a bass drum hoop mount or to their right; folks who do more Latin rhythms often have them on the left. I mount mine on a rod off my 11 o'clock cymbal stand so that it is between my hi-hat and rack tom.

Most cowbells mount to a 9.5mm rod, and they are sold in various configurations marketed as "percussion mount". You can also remove the wingnuts and felts from most modern cymbal stands or booms and mount the cowbell there.

If you are playing drumset, use your normal sticks. "Cowbell sticks" or "beaters" are meant for folks who are holding the cowbell in their hands and striking it with the other hand. You don't need that, and it will be very difficult to trade out sticks while playing rhythms.

Yep. No rules.
I tried a bunch of different places mounted, and then decided to just plop it on the floor tom head.

As I get older, the positioning of things become permanently temporary.

Don't put it on the base drum.. we got bad scratches on our tom because it kept rubbing against it. Now we have it on a stand.

Tama makes this mount, https://www.tama.com/asia/products/detail/cba56.html.

I mount one off the crash cymbal stand just to the right of my ride.

The bass drum mounted ones work too, but make sure you have enough leg room to mount one while you play, particularly if you play heel-up or you play 1up and place your ride closer to the snare.

Whatever you get, make sure it fastens securely. I find cowbells (at least LP ones) slip after a bit if they're not tightened properly - especially if you play more cowbell.

This sounds like a good idea. I've wondered how Matt Sorum had his cowbell set up, looks like on the same angle as the snare.

My cowbell is mounted directly onto the hi hat rod, above the clutch.

I use it a lot, and usually in the same way as I use the hats, so it made sense to me to have it there.

E.g., my band plays Love Shack, which has a cowbell on 1 - 3 -1 -and- 3, and I just switch between hats and cowbell for those hits.

Yep. No rules.
I tried a bunch of different places mounted, and then decided to just plop it on the floor tom head.

As I get older, the positioning of things become permanently temporary.

Don't do what I do, or did.
I removed the floor tom head and there was damage to the bearing edge from the cowbell sitting on the head.

Yep. Don't do that.

I took apart the bass drum mount and clamped the holder to my right side crash stand 2” from the rack Tom and about 6” above the floor Tom. Never accidentally hit it no matter what I play on the toms.

I like that tama mount that Beatdat mentioned. I use a similar one that is made by Mapex. Hanging it off a cymbal stand gives you lots of flexibility in placement, and won't chew up your bass drum hoop. I move mine around on my kit, depending on what I have available to hang it off. Most of the time, I keep mine above my floor tom, but sometimes, between my hi hats and high tom.

Since I play open handed, I mount mine on the hi-hat stand below the cymbals.
Yes, a cow bell can be mounted anywhere. Peace and goodwill.

I like that tama mount that Beatdat mentioned. I use a similar one that is made by Mapex. Hanging it off a cymbal stand gives you lots of flexibility in placement, and won't chew up your bass drum hoop. I move mine around on my kit, depending on what I have available to hang it off. Most of the time, I keep mine above my floor tom, but sometimes, between my hi hats and high tom.
The Tama clamp works well for me on the high hat rod

No, you can't just play a cowbell willy nilly, wherever you want.

State and Federal laws prohibit the use of cowbells everywhere except the rim of the bass drum.

Title 29 U.S.C. 189(c) is enforceable by a $500 Fine. Repeat offenders are forced to play a DW drum kit for 90 days.

I just mounted up one of mine- My bass drum has a cymbal arm for the splash, and I mounted a Gibraltar clamp-on cymbal arm to that, with the cowbell attached.
Works very well, no scratches/damages to other pieces and no new purchases required. :)

Last edited:
Back