Soundproofing

I'm afraid not. In terms of sound treatment, that is, making the room sound more dead for recording, it's decent (but not great); in terms of sound*proofing*, or preventing sound from escaping, it will do nothing at all.

I'd advise you to do a search on this forum for more information. This question comes up approximately once a week, and the answer is the same: it takes a lot of effort and money to actually soundproof a room - several thousands of dollars normally.

Acoustic foam doesn't soundproof a room. It reduces some of the standing waves, but you can still definitely hear a drum set outside of the room. To soundproof a room, you need to eliminate all of the vibration given off by the sound source, and that's really tough to do. Expensive, too, like several thousand dollars...

Would this be ok?

This will be OK to achieve acoustic within a room, as in a recording studio, it's purpose is only to have a "better" sound from within the room, it has little effect as a soundproofing device to effectively reduce the vibrations transmited from a drumkit, like Caddy said, it's a more expensive approach to actually 'build' something with a viable end results, one of the most sucessful method is the "box in a box" solution, you actually build a room within another room, with none of the walls and ceillings touching each others, and even with such a concept, if your bass drum is resting on a floor made of wood or timber frame, it will still transmit vibration throughout both walls, unless the BD is resting on a concrete flooring or something similar, if you do a search, there's a few threads discussing this very topic on the forum.

Hope this helps.

Go buy/borrow/beg for this book:

"Keep the Peace!" by Mark Parsons, which was written with drummers in mind.

And/or

"Build it Like the Pros" by Rod Gervais, which much bigger and more detailed.

Sound proofing is way more involved than throwing up some titles.

I agree with the posters above. Also, you may consider paying someone to do it professionally if you can. It could actually end up cheaper if this is your first soundproofing effort, end you would see how it's done fist hand. I've actually done both, (in three countries) and that moment when you get to play in your new studio is really priceless. good luck! :)

Back