Ayotte Londoner Drumsticks

wesporter

Does Anyone remember these sticks? Did anyone ever use them. I have been on the epic quest to find the perfect drumstick for 18yrs now. The closest I came was these things and they apparently stopped making them. I'm pretty sure they are not in production anymore but I wish they were. Right now I'm on Pro-Mark which seems to be the most consistant and durable, although I've never really tried Regal Tip and its been a long long time since I ever used a Vic Firth stick. Those Ayotte "Londoner" stick were amazing. Made of maple, they are super light but unlike most other maple sticks were very durable, and I had great success using them both in jazz and rock contexts. Had a beautiful rim-shot backbeat sound on the snare too. Why??? Why Ayotte??? Why you no make sticks no more????

Ayotte still produces drumsticks. I saw some at Steve's Music Shop in Montreal. Maybe not the Londoner, but these were nice, well made and pretty cheap sticks. Ayotte has moved their location to Quebec.

I knew they were a Canadian company. Im in Ohio and a local store used to have them. I wish i knew that they were in Montreal cause I was touring up there a couple months ago.

Not strictly related to the topic, but on the subject of non "big brand" sticks.

I taught at a summer rock-school last month and we bought in a load of cheap drum sticks from a company called "Tiger" as we figured we'd rather the students be going through something cheap, than Vics or Promarks. The things are made of maple and labelled as 7A, even though they're a 5A!

Now I've been an ardent user of Vic 5a's for years now, but man do these Tiger sticks sound nice. As you said about the Ayotte sticks, they have a very nice back beat sound and sound very, very nice on the hi-hat too.

Goes to show it's not always about the bigger brands eh?

Hope you're well,

Kev

Back