Open Hand Drummer List

Has anyone seen such a thing? I play open hand 'cause I am left handed with right hand feet and I was interested in other "famous" open hand drummes. So wheres a list? lol

Carter Beauford
Billy Cobham
and supposedly Dennis Wilson was an open hand drummer, I was too young to see any shows. Any more?

Larry Mullen Jr. Occasionally plays open handed.....other than the ones mentioned already, i cant think of any more.

Kenny Aronoff occasionally, with his second high-hats on the right.

I play almost exclusively open handed. I have a set of hats on the right with a remote cable for a left foot pedal, I have it right next to my ride cymbal. For me, this is more comfortable and provides some new options.

Attachments

• aP1010018.JPG
    aP1010018.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,752
Bobby Jarzombek! One ot the best open handed players! Not as good as Cobham or Philips, but definately good.

- Marc

jpekarek said:
I play almost exclusively open handed. I have a set of hats on the right with a remote cable for a left foot pedal, I have it right next to my ride cymbal. For me, this is more comfortable and provides some new options.

What kind of ride is that? I like it!

- Marc

tambian89 said:
What kind of ride is that? I like it!

- Marc

Thanks, it's a 22" Sabian Paragon, Neil Peart signature ride. It has a wonderful cutting sound, but it does not have much of a bell sound.

Carter Beauford
Billy Cobham
Dennis Wilson
lenny white
dennis chambers (thinks its showing-off) HA! Thats all I play, no time for monkey cross arm stuff, sorry traditional players...
gary husband
dom famularo
john blackwell
Larry Mullen Jr
Mike Mangini
Kenny Aronoff (count him anyway)
Simon Phillips-------this guy played w/ Camel and a slew of others :) No wonder he sounded familiar.
Bobby Jarzombek

Wegadrummer
jpekarek
drumslaveDave

I wonder if there are more lefties than us?

drumslaveDave said:
Carter Beauford
Billy Cobham
Dennis Wilson
lenny white
dennis chambers (thinks its showing-off) HA!
gary husband
dom famularo
john blackwell
Larry Mullen Jr
Mike Mangini
Kenny Aronoff (count him anyway)
Simon Phillips
Bobby Jarzombek

Wegadrummer
jpekarek
drumslaveDave

I wonder if there are more lefties than us?

Actually I am completely right handed. I just like the high-hats on the other side.

I'd think if you play open hand for 90% of your drum time you'd become more adept.
Some patterns will be natural for you as others it will be harder and visa versa

Freddie Freeloader said:
does that count?? i'm not sure it does really.

To me, open-handed is not crossing hands over ... regardless of where the hats are.

If you are a domiant right hand drummer placing your hi-hat on the right side of your kit where your ride would be and using a remote pedal for your left foot does not constitute an open handed drummer in my opinion.

In my mind it means riding the hi-hat with your left hand in it's natural position (for a right handed drummer) on the left hand side of your kit.

I was watching an AC/DC concert on TV a few weeks back. I don't know who the drummer is (Phil Rudd?) but it appeared to me that he had his hi-hat set up in the ride cymbal position...maybe he had two hi-hats but he appeared to be using that one the most...but that's still not open handed in my opinion.

photon said:
If you are a domiant right hand drummer placing your hi-hat on the right side of your kit where your ride would be and using a remote pedal for your left foot does not constitute an open handed drummer in my opinion.

In my mind it means riding the hi-hat with your left hand in it's natural position (for a right handed drummer) on the left hand side of your kit.

I was watching an AC/DC concert on TV a few weeks back. I don't know who the drummer is (Phil Rudd?) but it appeared to me that he had his hi-hat set up in the ride cymbal position...maybe he had two hi-hats but he appeared to be using that one the most...but that's still not open handed in my opinion.

What is your idea of an open handed drummer? I'm probably not completely open handed since I also have a set of hi-hats on my left side also, those remain shut most of the time.

But if a person is not crossing thier hands, doesn't that mean open handed? I guess I play both then.

Back