Kind of Lame

Are you referring to the fact that 'Drum Gear' has well over 10,000 more threads than 'Drum Technique'?

Granted, there are 4 sub-forums under Drum Gear. But we are, in general, a gear obsessed bunch aren't we?

It's easy to talk about gear online.

Technique is difficult to get into much depth in an online, text only forum, because most conversations about technique in person involve someone showing someone examples, saying something like "watch my finger" of "see how the ankle moves" and other such stuff that just DOES NOT come across in a typed message.

And most "How do I play that?" questions can be answered better by a any of of a number of the fine instructional DVDs that are out there than a typed message.

Discussing drummers: OK, that can be talked about, but there are only so many times one can post "I really like what so-and-so's playing" in a thread.

Gear, on the other hand, there are no instructional videos discussing the differences between a vast majority of gear. There are so many choices, and so many parts that go into a drum kit, and so many people have more than one kit/snare/cymbal/whatever, it's just easier to get into long discussions about.

Well, I mean it seems like we should wanting to know how to play better, not buying the flashiest kits ever. But that's just me.

That's what DVDs and books are for. Also, YouTube, but most people with common sense know that you have to sift through too much detritus to get to the good stuff.

There is no resource that explains the differences between kit makes and models, but the internet is full of opinions and marketing that you have to sift through as well. That's why there's a bunch of talk about this particular subject, I think.

Argh. Nothing more annoying than ending a post with 'just saying'.

I know where you're coming from. We know that having fun on/being good on drums should have nothing to do with equipment, but that doesn't get away from the fact that drums is an equipment intense instrument, and people love to get new stuff and show it off. I must admit to finding it a bit tedious though.

Well, I mean it seems like we should wanting to know how to play better, not buying the flashiest kits ever. But that's just me.

Most of us here play almost perfectly so in essence the Technique section is just filler. Once in a while someone will post something that is new, but most of us have perfected the playing of drums and are here just to socialize and show our gear. You can tell by my post count that I don't even play much anymore. It gets boring.

Most of us here play almost perfectly so in essence the Technique section is just filler. Once in a while someone will post something that is new, but most of us have perfected the playing of drums and are here just to socialize and show our gear. You can tell by my post count that I don't even play much anymore. It gets boring.

Brothuh you best be trollin'.

I suspect a lot of people prefer not to think too much about their playing because they worry that it might blunt their instincts. So they focus on safe topics like gear.

like a few people have said, we have teachers, book dvd's and youtube for technique. And although there are some really great drummers on the forum and can help you, generally you're technique questions will be answered by people who are still getting to grips with their own technique. On youtube, you can look at pro's doing it, you can get a pro teacher and even have jojo mayer give you a private lesson in you're own home!

Why ask a bunch of average drummers those really important questions?? Get bad advice and it can really f**k you up, you know?

but even the worst of drummer can know a lot about, and have great gear, so why not ask about that??......im just saying :)

It would have been ironically inappropriate, but funny, if you had posted this thread in the Drum Gear section.

I agree that talking about gear is safer than all of us sharing our playing with YouTube links. I commend those that do it especially early in their drumming experience.

I choose to talk less about my playing because between my wife, friends and anybody else listening on any given night, they all have so much to say that I get tired of feedback.

It wears me out to have one person come up after a set and say that I'm not playing loud enough and the 1 minute later someone else says I need to take it down a notch.

"Relax you seem stiff" , says one.

"Wow, you're a wild man", says another.

I do enjoy getting another drummers point of view on my cymbal sounds or overall balance of my kit between drums and cymbals, etc..

I don't visit the technique section much because most of it is clean over my head. Equally, I have little to offer others, and rarely strive to acquire new technical skills. That said, I don't visit the gear section that much either, well, perhaps a bit. I spend a lot of my forum time listening in the your playing section. I love to hear the music everyone's making, both good & bad. I participate a lot in the general discussion & off topic sections too.

I'm much more interested in music than the mechanics of playing drums. That's one reason why I rarely visit the drummers section too. I'm not an emulate sort of guy. Kind of lame only from your POV. We're all here for different reasons, and that's cool with me.

I share samples of my playing here from time to time.
The only people that seem to respond when I do are close friends and the frequent posters like Polly, Larry, Abe, etc.
Also, I get a low view count.

When I started a thread on The Pearl Rhythm Traveler, I got thousands of views and numerous responses.

A gear thread wins over a playing thread by a long shot as far as popularity is concerned.

I don't know if it's Lame? It's just the way that things are.
People view what they want to.

I don't visit the technique section much because most of it is clean over my head. Equally, I have little to offer others, and rarely strive to acquire new technical skills. That said, I don't visit the gear section that much either, well, perhaps a bit. I spend a lot of my forum time listening in the your playing section. I love to hear the music everyone's making, both good & bad. I participate a lot in the general discussion & off topic sections too.

I'm much more interested in music than the mechanics of playing drums. That's one reason why I rarely visit the drummers section too. I'm not an emulate sort of guy. Kind of lame only from your POV. We're all here for different reasons, and that's cool with me.

I relate to this big time. I find I drum better when I focus on the music rather than when I focus on my drumming anyway. My drumming only matters insofar as it contributes to the songs - our singer's the one who's doing all the expressing. I love drums and get off on "drumners' drummers" as a listener but I'm not one of them. But I'm always keen to broaden my understanding of what songs are about and the different roles I can take on to make a song enjoyable.

Technically, my main interest is in improving focus - to be more tuned in, more responsive and generally more consistent. Kinaesthetics plays some role in this but I feel the best thing I can do in that area is simply relax more. You watch Steve Gadd drum and it's like he's made of rubber the way he wobbles around while playing. I'll probably have to wait until I'm 70 years old to be that loose and rubbery, and by then my wobbling won't be by choice :)

Sometimes I look at the gear section because it's great to find good cymbals - to add a voice to your kit that really adds that x-factor, and it's interesting to know what head works best for a type of drum.

In an effort to maintain civility and friends I find that most people to include myself find it difficult to be totally honest when critiquing other peoples playing. As for the Drum Technique section I too am past the point of wishing to learn a lot and spend my time playing and experimenting.

Kind of lame to start this thread. But I'm saying that in the kindest way possible.

Lol....

Anyway, yeah it is easy to talk about gear online. Technique is harder to talk about because you really have to see good technique and have a teacher to get good technique. You can't really do that online

I find that most people to include myself find it difficult to be totally honest when critiquing other peoples playing. .
I really do try to be as honest as possible. I expect at least that by return. When delivering a negative however, I try to be as objective and encouraging as possibe. If I critisize someone's work, I always offer an alternative route or something positive to concentrate on. If my thoughts are only negative, and I have nothing to offer by way of encouragement (rare), I don't reply.

Back