Personal Monitoring "Setup" for a Singing Drummer

drumstix

Dear Drummers,
Here is my situation, I'm looking for advice and inputs in regards to personal mixing with in ear monitoring...

I'm a singing drummer, use a stand microphone and not a head set... I'm ok with that, my problem is not the singing but the monitoring...

I use a click track in my right ear via a single ear bud and a floor wedge on my left side ( by my hihats) now I like the sound with one ear plugged it helps me sing... but after the show / rehearsal its crazy feeling with one abused ear and one protected ear... :)

here is my need - I need to have my click, my mic and my monitor mix coming in to in my iem.
I hope to pan my click to my right ear and have the rest on stereo.
I don't necessary need this wireless.

What are my best setups??

like I said, 3 inputs my click, mic and monitor mix with a preference to pan my click...

Ive looked at the Rolls PM 351, Art Powermix III and PosseAudio.

The 351 has the (thru) for my vocal mic and no Pan, the Powermix has the Pan but no XLR and the Posse has all but dunno if this is what I want... I'm also not sure if there is anything out there that can be of better help, Please give me your 2cents.
below are the links to the products I've looked into
The Rolls PM 351 http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=PM351
ART Powermix III http://artproaudio.com/artcessories/mini_mixers/product/powermix_iii/
Posse audio http://posseaudio.com/

regards
drumstix

Because your ears are affected differently, I'd recommend going in ear with both. If you're concerned that you won't get a full mix or hear your drums well enough, don't use molds. Use the ear-bud type tghat give a little isolation, but still have leakage. Then it's just a little balancing act with your feed, the floor wedge, and your kit.

Bermuda

I am a singing drummer. I use a Shure p4hw and a set of ear buds with the foam sleeves that you squeeze and then they swell back up in your ears. This gives good isolation as well as keeping them firmly in place. The p4hw allows me to put the band in one channel and the my vocals in the other, I can then make adjustments to the mix and volume on the body pack whenever I need to, mid song if necessary, without having to gain the attention of the sound man. This unit also has a built in limiter, eq settings and can run off battery or phantom power and can be configured to run of off just about any system or situation you may confronted with.

I also use an Audio Technica atm 73a headset mic. I have tried all manner of stand mounted mics and they just dont give you the freedom to play comfortably like you can with a headset. This mic has better quality sound than the higher priced Shure, plus it is lighter and has a smaller mouthpiece. The bodypack also runs on battery or phantom power and has a silent switch so you can turn it on and off as needed depending when and if you are singing. I will even turn it off sometimes or fold down the mouth piece in the middle of a song when there are no vocals and the drumming is much more intense to help reduce or eliminate the possibility of it picking up louder than normal breathing, or turn it off between songs when talking to band mates.

Hope this helps. BTW I have been running both of these units for over 10 years with no problems what so ever.

P4HW.jpg

504shure.jpg

PA750_big.gif

atm73a.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the inputs, i'm gonna look it up...
Bermuda - yes i want to use both ear buds,
Druid - the fischer has no mic input and thats a bit tough for me, any solutions for that
Tard, how can i send a click in some how? what are those TRS - XLR cables for?
And I'd love to use a headset mic.. jus that i move and headbang a lot while i play that the ones i have used kinda fall off... are these sturdy?
I have a mic that is mounted on a tripod and is right where i turn my head full left... and i sing with that side look and kinda go around the kit "blind folder" lol!! coz of my position...

And I'd love to use a headset mic.. jus that i move and headbang a lot while i play that the ones i have used kinda fall off... are these sturdy?

The 2 cables (adapters provided allow hook up to xlr, trs or 1/4) allow either: a stereo signal giving you separate control of the balance and the volume, or: 2 separate mono signals giving you separate control of the mix level and the volume. I run my vocals in one and the rest of the band (FOH) in the other which allows me to control overall volume as well as separate control of my vocals in the mix. You could run a click in one and the FOH mix in the other, but if your click machine has a volume control itself then you could just T into either one of the cables and add it to one of the signals.

As for the mic, for a headset it is quite light and well balanced and stays in place really well on my head, but you would just have to try one on to see if it will stay in place for you. Personally for me I had more problems with the ear buds falling out (till I started using the yellow foam sleeves, now its a non issue) than I did with the mic moving around.

Thanks for the inputs, i'm gonna look it up...
Bermuda - yes i want to use both ear buds,
Druid - the fischer has no mic input and thats a bit tough for me, any solutions for that
I have a mic that is mounted on a tripod and is right where i turn my head full left... and i sing with that side look and kinda go around the kit "blind folder" lol!! coz of my position...

Yes it has 2 XLR input's

I am a singing drummer. I use a Shure p4hw and a set of ear buds with the foam sleeves that you squeeze and then they swell back up in your ears. This gives good isolation as well as keeping them firmly in place. The p4hw allows me to put the band in one channel and the my vocals in the other, I can then make adjustments to the mix and volume on the body pack whenever I need to, mid song if necessary, without having to gain the attention of the sound man.

Tard, so how does your vocals go to the snake? you said you feed the Band mix on one channel and your vocals on the other...
I'm asking in comparison to the POSSEaudio where my vocal mic is sent to the foh via a floor box that has an IN and a Tru. or like the Rolls 351.
I'm trying to figure your full setup coz if something has worked for you like a 'song' for 10yrs it better be good.. forgive my lack of understanding..

Tard, so how does your vocals go to the snake? you said you feed the Band mix on one channel and your vocals on the other...
I'm asking in comparison to the POSSEaudio where my vocal mic is sent to the foh via a floor box that has an IN and a Tru. or like the Rolls 351.
I'm trying to figure your full setup coz if something has worked for you like a 'song' for 10yrs it better be good.. forgive my lack of understanding..

Everything goes to the mixing board then I send my vocals to 1 input on the p4hw from a monitor out, then I either take: an FOH mix via a splitter on the mains, or: from an A/B out, or: from another monitor send if there is enough of them, which ever of these is available is sent it to the second input on the p4hw.

When we use our own gear there is 6 monitor sends on our board so there is always more than enough but when using in house systems is when I need to get creative by using a FOH mix or whatever is available to tie into.

Most snakes have as many inputs as the board, 16, 24 , 32 etc, then there will be at least 2 going back to the stage which are the main signals for the FOH amps/speakers, plus there should be 4 to 6 more going back to the stage to be used for monitors. One of these you can use just for your vocals then if there is another available use it to get the rest of the mix or just T into one of the FOH signals.

Like I said the odd time you need to get creative which I have had to do on a few occasions when a board had enough monitor sends but the snake didnt have enough returns to the stage, but fortunately it had more channels than we needed and I just used one of those fitted with an M to M and an F to F xlr adapter to get the extra signal to the stage.

Worst comes to worst if there is only one monitor send available to you you can always just let the sound guy mix your monitor as normal and have this in one input of the p4hw, then put your click in the other, this still gives you control of the overall volume plus allows you control how much click you add or remove. BTW, even if there is no monitor sends available at all, you can still T into the main for an FOH mix to use as one of your inputs to the p4hw, this way at least you will be able to hear whats out front even if no one else can...lol

Everything goes to the mixing board then I send my vocals to 1 input on the p4hw from a monitor out, then I either take: an FOH mix via a splitter on the mains, or: from an A/B out, or: from another monitor send if there is enough of them, which ever of these is available is sent it to the second input on the p4hw.

When we use our own gear there is 6 monitor sends on our board so there is always more than enough but when using in house systems is when I need to get creative by using a FOH mix or whatever is available to tie into.

Most snakes have as many inputs as the board, 16, 24 , 32 etc, then there will be at least 2 going back to the stage which are the main signals for the FOH amps/speakers, plus there should be 4 to 6 more going back to the stage to be used for monitors. One of these you can use just for your vocals then if there is another available use it to get the rest of the mix or just T into one of the FOH signals.

Thanks for the explanation... Ok this brings me to what my real situation is -
My band has a monitor board on stage that has 6 sends and we use all 6 to mix our monitors.
One send is obviously mine and this works perfectly with what you have said.. but my problem is our monitor board is controlled by our bass player and he's singing too... so technical he is unavailable thru a song... LOL!
so my least changes are my vocals going up or down for the songs I sing and to make sure that the click stays clicking...!! thus I started looking for an IE system where i can control my Mic vol on my send as and when i want. Plus maybe bass guitar input or some inst that I can give me Note ref: and over and above this my Aux send which is sent from the monitor board.
A friend suggested a simple 4 channel mixer where I get 4 channels to choose, 1. my mix from the board, 2 my Mic tru a split, 3 my click track input. Mix this, pan this. whatever it.... and send the main out L&R to the P4hw he added - Live happily ever after.. hahaha.. looked like a good option? pls advice.

Use an SM Pro Audio IN5E mixer.

http://smproaudio.com/index.php/en/products/mixing-recording/in5e
I also have 3 other multiple channel headphone amps; Art HeadAmp6 Pro, Samson C-Que8 and SM Pro Audio HP6E. All 3 of chose have a balance knob to blend the click with the monitor signal and I have found it very difficult to get the levels right this way.

The IN5E works like a dream. I can however see 2 areas that does not quite comply to your requirement:
1. The click cannot be panned.
2. You need a spitter for your microphone to send a signal to your main mixer as well as this unit.

In return its rack mounted, have built-in power supply(= stability), have USB interface and can do a lot of other things.

Attachments

• smproaudio-in5e-large.jpg
    smproaudio-in5e-large.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 2,530
Last edited:
Do you you also use the Shaker Set that attaches to the drum throne?

Yes the 50w version, i also have the 400w but kicker but only used it one time.
We have a joke where we challenge people try staying on the stool while we send a keyboard bass riff to it..
it moves like a hovercraft .. no one passed the test yet, most jump off and complain of a sore butt .. ;-)

A friend suggested a simple 4 channel mixer where I get 4 channels to choose, 1. my mix from the board, 2 my Mic tru a split, 3 my click track input. Mix this, pan this. whatever it....

I really like the body pack instead of a mixer, a lot easier to make adjustments, mid song if necessary. I dont think you really need 4 inputs, 2 should be fine, 1 for vocals and another for the FOH or a second monitor mix, whichever is available, then just T in the click track with your vocals, or T it into the earbuds, either way you can use its volume/gain control to blend.

Tard, yes the body pack is definitely the better of the two... i'm jus looking at different ways to simplify this combo.
I'm trying to see if i can take a Direct out via the Insert on my vocal channel...
Sad part for me is there is no place that i can demo or test this other than Trial and error.. and that is tooo expensive an experiment...
thanks for the inputs...
When you mentioned to T in the click, do I have pre done cables to split the input? like the Mic is XLR and the click is TRS 1/8" do I have to make these connectors??

PS. Happy New Year... drummers anyways Rule the world!!! lol

When you mentioned to T in the click, do I have pre done cables to split the input? like the Mic is XLR and the click is TRS 1/8" do I have to make these connectors??

The p4hw is wired for xlr, then comes with adapters, you would only need an xlr Y cable and a 1/4 F to 1/4 F coupler, or just make your own xlr Y cable with 1 female trs end.

Got this.. http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/MA400.aspx

it has a 'more me' for my vox, I use a Y for My monitor feed and my Metronome.

The unit has a Mono/ Stereo switch, and I can have my Metronome on one ear if I need to..
A friend had the Shure Se530 he was planing to sell it so I picked that up...
Seems like a nice 'small' investment.

I have a slight issue with the click getting distorted when there is a higher gain on the Monitor feed, LIke when the kick drum is played etc... must try some different setups to get the best out of this lil gadget.

Still looking for a permanent solution, pls let me hear your opinions.

I like the POSSE. http://posseaudio.com/ looks like I may go in this direction, Cuz it has all that I want!

I'm looking for inputs and reviews on this product! any users?

Cheers and thanks for all your valuable inputs!

Hey Drummers...

I think I've finally ARRIVED!!!

I got the POSSE www.posseaudio.com . Personal On Stage Sound Environment.
This product rocks... Has a lot to offer... at one glance it might look like it has many cables!! and also many components (floor box, stand box, belt box..) but its all there to suit almost anyone's need...

If you are a singing drummer then this does wonders... starting from your drum mix in your ears... its ambient mics are Super!! they give you a rich feel, all of a sudden I wasn't isolated and boxed up... Usually you put your ear buds and the rest of the world is gone 2kms away from you... you are so Alone... :)
I can "myself" control my vocals, my drum sound, an extra inst (maybe bass), my mon mix from the Foh/Mon Board... plus I can que in my click track jus on my earbuds...

Its got a 9v batt slot and a power adapter option, phantom power, Ground lift, Mono/stereo.... and the list goes on...

I used a pair of Shure SE 530's with this yesterday at church, I'm gonna use it tomorrow with a pair of SE 115's in a different room with a different drum kit, I'll also be trying the buds that came with this.. I think they are JLabs.

Their website has the limitless possibilities and combinations that this MAD Gadget is capable of...

Well in conclusion, This is an amazing gadget, requires very lil time to setup... it provides an environment that adds so much life to IEM. the BEST part is you have total control in getting your mix.

The only point of concern is - will this last long? being a new company not many reviews, don't know what the trouble shooting is... The built quality, the components used? bla bla .... From what I see... its done well so lets hope and pray !!! wait and see !!!

Oh by the way... there is a bunch of online stores giving good discounts...

Cheers!!
(drum roll... big ending fill... crash cymbals) :)

Joe

Hey Drummers...

I think I've finally ARRIVED!!!

I got the POSSE www.posseaudio.com . Personal On Stage Sound Environment.
This product rocks... Has a lot to offer... at one glance it might look like it has many cables!! and also many components (floor box, stand box, belt box..) but its all there to suit almost anyone's need...

If you are a singing drummer then this does wonders... starting from your drum mix in your ears... its ambient mics are Super!! they give you a rich feel, all of a sudden I wasn't isolated and boxed up... Usually you put your ear buds and the rest of the world is gone 2kms away from you... you are so Alone... :)
I can "myself" control my vocals, my drum sound, an extra inst (maybe bass), my mon mix from the Foh/Mon Board... plus I can que in my click track jus on my earbuds...

Its got a 9v batt slot and a power adapter option, phantom power, Ground lift, Mono/stereo.... and the list goes on...

I used a pair of Shure SE 530's with this yesterday at church, I'm gonna use it tomorrow with a pair of SE 115's in a different room with a different drum kit, I'll also be trying the buds that came with this.. I think they are JLabs.

Their website has the limitless possibilities and combinations that this MAD Gadget is capable of...

Well in conclusion, This is an amazing gadget, requires very lil time to setup... it provides an environment that adds so much life to IEM. the BEST part is you have total control in getting your mix.

The only point of concern is - will this last long? being a new company not many reviews, don't know what the trouble shooting is... The built quality, the components used? bla bla .... From what I see... its done well so lets hope and pray !!! wait and see !!!

Oh by the way... there is a bunch of online stores giving good discounts...

Cheers!!
(drum roll... big ending fill... crash cymbals) :)

Joe

I'm very intrigued! This actually seems to incorporate just about everything I've been looking for, with support for click tracks, backing track inputs, vocal mic and in-ear monitoring (without the need for lazy sound guys to give me a dedicated monitor feed).

I'll be looking into this for sure!

I'm very intrigued! This actually seems to incorporate just about everything I've been looking for, with support for click tracks, backing track inputs, vocal mic and in-ear monitoring (without the need for lazy sound guys to give me a dedicated monitor feed).

I'll be looking into this for sure!

Well you said it.. Here is what I did! I put my vocal mic and the room mic up and told the sound guy to give me a lil bit of the rest on my aux input.. then I balanced this out on the stand box.... this is revolutionary... The best part is the ambient feature that makes the IEM sound more real... I can hear more!! coz IEM's isolate the noise and YOU.... LOL
I'm now experimenting on how to place the mic stand to get the best...
Since you mentioned Tracks- you have an Inst IN so you run your tracks or your laptop from next to you, and the FOH gets an XLR out... NEAT HUH?!!
And one more thing, the folks at Posse are friendly too, I had a lot of questions before I could buy and since I'm overseas I needed to know how I was going to get it here...
You can get intouch with them for any questions you have...

Back