My limitations

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
Wy said something that made me think. He said he is a percussionist. Which made me realize that I'm not, I'm strictly a drumset player. (or try to be) I feel lost when I don't have a foot pedal, a hi hat, and sticks to use. Sure, I can fake it on percussion instruments for a little while, but I would not want to be a hand drummer. I just find it curious that I can be way

passionate about the drumset, but not congas for instance. I love the sound of congas but feel no burning desire to play them. I do have an undeniable burning desire to
play on a kick, snare and hi hat, and play them masterfully, but just percussion without my feet doesn't do it for me. I realize that sounds limiting, but on the other hand, I have more than

I can handle with just the drumset thank you very much. I don't think I could get that "transported" feeling on anything "less" than a full drumset. I admire the people who aren't limited like I am but if I don't feel the desire, I don't want to do it. I think it is because (IMO) a percussionist has much less musical "power" in a band compared to a drummer. If a percussionist

drops out, no big deal, not like if a drummer did. I guess I'm just curious if anyone else feels similar or would you say the majority of drummers are equally
passionate about the various percussion instruments?

From what I've read Wy is one of those people who is able to devote mind and body to a task, I for one admire those people to be great at one thing, or the best at something is a goal I strive for. Drumming and Percussion, to me, are something compliment each other well but aren't a pre-requisite, i.e. "before you can play a drum kit you should be able to play a set of bongos" it isn't necessary. However, I reckon if you can then you're going to be a more complete player.
Personally, I sink my spare time into study and drumming along with my spare cash and I'd rather do that then learn percussion.

As they say, "jack of all trades master of none"

Larry, mate geez, forget me. I have always been alone. Ever since I was a little kid I had to take care of me. No one else. I have certain qualifications, but all were done in what I see now to be a pretty unhealthy enviroment of solitude and practice. You mentioned recently about how wonderful your relationship with your woman is. Larry, mate, I am alone and have been since 1972. I envy you. Congas cover only so much ground my friend.

I've been alone a long long time. And during those times I was with someone, I was still alone. And sadly, so were they.

Thanks for the kind words Wy. I am fortunate in my relationship. It sounds as if you would prefer that you had someone...Drumming is a wonderful thing, definitely the best thing for me outside of any relationships, but really, a great relationship where you are able to get the exact kind of love you need (a tall order) and be able to provide the same for her in return...is the

meaning of life. You hit me as one of the great men alive in this world right now and IMO you are doing a disservice to yourself and your local female population by denying them of yourself! Drink from the cup of life man! The human female is far and away the best thing going on here, no contest.

I thought I'd like to do a lot of hand drums but I find that after a few songs my hands get incredibly sore. Drumming (well, most drumming) is a much gentler pasttime on the body IMO. I play djembe on a couple of my band's songs but that would come under the heading of "faking it", which pretty well covers what I do on drums too so it's all good :)

Wy, this is making you sound a bit like a drumming yogi, and maybe that's not far from the truth. Nothing wrong with that, unless it's no longer enough for you.

Wy, this is making you sound a bit like a drumming yogi, and maybe that's not far from the truth. Nothing wrong with that, unless it's no longer enough for you.

It's kind of weird. I'm just really into drums and drumming. That's all. I can play a bit. It comes in handy. This morning I teched some snares for a session. It keeps me busy. That big Brady is hard at work again. Everybody loves it.

I'd guess that a vast majority of drum set players do not play Congas.

And many conga players don't play drum set.

We all have limitations. No one can do it all.

I feel the same way. I enjoy playing djembes and congas when I do but for me, nothing is better than jamming on a kit. It's just a combination of the cymbals, the foot work and the groove which makes it much more fun to play.

I'm with you, Larry, in that I have absolutely NO desire to play percussion other than a drum kit. Sure I can "fake it" too, but I don't even want to. It just doesn't get my "pants on the ground" the way kit playing does.

I did quite a bit of work a few years ago with an acoustic duo where I "played" conga's.....if you call a mish mash of accented singles and doubles 'playing' that is. Talk about limitations......but I thoroughly enjoyed myself and have to admit that carrying two drums and a mic stand to a gig was quite a relief after years of lugging a drum kit from one end of the city to the other.

I'm no percussion expert by any means and those who can actually play hand percussion would have been in fits watching my attempts, but I had a great time with this line up.....very few rehearsals, two drums and the same money (sometimes more) than I was earning when playing in bands. I still have my conga's but they seldom get used....generally only making an appearance at parties after way too many!

I'm glad for the experience though and one day I'll take a few lessons to try and develop half a clue as to how to play them properly.

That said, like many of you I do prefer my kit though.

Back