Vintage cymbals rusted up overnight

Makedrums1

I just got this message from a friend on my facebook wall. Does anyone have any experience/can you help with this?

***hey Phillip, just had some crazy stuff happen to my cymbals and need some advice if you got it. had my drums set up in the same room as our inverter, and the batteries started burning off the water yesterday for one reason or another. anyway this caused the room to get incredibly humid. my two vintage A's rusted up ove...r night, straight black. and my newer diril turned purple. I hate to ruin the patina I had going on both those cymbals, but I dont want them falling apart. you got any home remides to clean that up without fully cleaning off the patina? I really like the way my ride sounds with 50yrs of dirt on it, hate to ruin that.
hope all is well, mike.***

I reckon if there has been a significant amount of oxidisation on the cymbals there may be no way to get that layer off without removing the patina. If he can just get the surface layer of corrosion away and leave a thin layer of oxidation it can sound great. Gives cymbals a very dark feel and people pay top buck for this finish. Maybe a soft brush or a rag with some vinager could remove the top unwanted layer of corrosion

Back