Small kit conversion

ffcryan

I have a 13" tom that I hope to convert to a floor tom with legs. I live in the UK but where would I need to go to get the holes drilled and the brackets fixed? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

I have a 13" tom that I hope to convert to a floor tom with legs. I live in the UK but where would I need to go to get the holes drilled and the brackets fixed? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

You have the needed parts?

Hmm, here in Switzerland i would say: Any cabinet maker and carpenter around...

Bernhard

You have the needed parts?

Hmm, here in Switzerland i would say: Any cabinet maker and carpenter around...

Bernhard

Thanks, I was going to email Mapex to see if they had any of the same spare parts for consistency.

Another question is, how much will drilling holes affect the drum sound? So long as I keep them covered with a bracket?

Thanks

I'd run it in a floor tom position, but use it's factory mount (or use a RIMS type mount). Adding 3 leg brackets will probably affect the resonance of the drum. Not a very big drum, to start with. I have my 13x9 on a RIMS, with a Yamaha tom mount attached. It's suspended next to my 16x16 floor.

Attachments

• php6oXywIAM.jpg
    php6oXywIAM.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 109
Is it true that if you give a floor tom legs it allows the drum to resonate more freely? Giving it a better sound? Than in comparison to hanging it from a cymbal stand.

I'm learning and your responses are helpful. Thanks

I replaced the Yamaha tom mount w/ Yamaha legs for my 14"DX12" floor tom and it definately resonates better w/ the legs. And it's easier to position w/ the legs.
I think the oak drum was to heavy for the mount and was putting to much stress on the shell.
It's important also, that if you put legs on a tom, the leg bracket has to be for that particular diameter drum or else it will also add stress to the shell.
A RIMS type mount works well because it doesn't touch the shell...but again if it's a big heavy drum that weight is on the tension rods.

One thing you need to remember is that when building floor toms (I am a hobbyist drum builder) there is a certain depth that you cannot go under for the drum to be mounted with legs. 12" is usually the minimum unless you buy some DW super-long legs, then you MIGHT be able to get down to 10". I think you would be better served just using the original mount to hang it.

Back