Promoter issues...

Travis22

Hey everyone, had a situation I was hoping perhaps to get some feedback on. I'm not 100% sure I'm posting this in the correct area, so if I'm not I apologize ahead of time.

The situation I'm dealing with is kind of trivial. The promoter for a particular venue (whom we have been playing for ocassionly the past 2 years) has been refusing to give us anything other than an opening spot. Now, when we were fresh out of the gates, I totally understand that. He is out to make money, and put on a good show, and most times newbies can't pull off as good of a show as a band that's been gigging for a couple years or more, so I get that. But here we are almost 3 years in and put in a simple request (upon another offer to open) to have at least a number 2 spot. I believe we deserve it since the last 10 shows we have played (and headlined) the bar/club/venue has made bank, as well as the turnouts have been fantastic and we have made bank.

Promoter dude hit us up again last night after telling us we were too arrogant and cocky for us to be booked at his venues right now and asked us to come and play a 2nd spot tonight for $100. The set we are playing is only supose to last an hour, so 25 per person for an hours worth of playing isn't bad...and that's not including merch we may, or may not, sell. My bandmates all want to do this gig, so we have accepted, but I honestly don't feel like we should. He has slandered our name just because we have asked for a little bone to be tossed our way from time to time, and then turns around and runs to us to bail him out when a band cancels on him. My bandmates all say that he is giving us what we asked for, so we should do it and be happy.

The total kicker for me is that he has a band he books ALL the time. The singer I swear is his family or something, because their music and set has never changed in the 2 years they have been together, but they get all the hype and shows they want with this dude. We played a show a couple of weeks ago and Golden Boy shows up to "hear us." He had nothing but great things to say about us, and then wouldn't you know it, we are asked to play less than 2 weeks later at the same venue we are too cocky to play in. My morals tell me that I shouldn't do it...it's one local venue and if we don't play there so what? There's hundreds of other places around here to play and that want us, so losing out on this deal doesn't phase me one bit. However, like I said, my band sees it differently, so being a team player I am going to go and play the best I can, but I'm very unhappy about it.

Any words of advice on what you would do? What should we do after tonight?

Are we talking a cover band or originals?

Nearly every promoter and bar owner I've ever met acts like they hate all bands and hate all music, and otherwise wold prefer every band fell off the face of the earth. Which of course makes me wonder why these people remain in the business.

No, we are not a cover band...all originals. Ya know, I've met some promoters that seem to be alright and will tell you what you need to know. Constructive criticism is always a good thing, but then there's just being a dick and think you know everything when you don't even have a clue. But I guess tis life.

Keep playing his venue, but branch out and play other venues as well. You mentioned there are a lot of other venues in your area in which you can play. Start getting booked in them. Let this promoter know where and when you will be playing these other venues. Get to be known as a band he can go to when another band cancels and he's in a bind to find someone. Give him a calendar of when and where you'll be playing with notes of when your band is available to play his place. Don't burn bridges but get to be known as a band that is easy to work with and dependable. Even though he may be a dick, he has to make money too and when he calls, work with him as best y'all can.

Never forget venue and bar owners do talk to one another and exchange information about bands as well. It's a business you're in. Get as much exposure as you can.

I Agree with Rouge........Dont burn the bridge dude.Since all the other band members WANT to do the gig,id do it..Dont let this guy put a wedge in the band,its not worth it.........Go there,play your set,have fun with the crowd,..In the end i know the guys a d-ck but,play for the crowd not him.....Another thing ,it must be a cool venue,since there are tons of gigs in your area,why you guys want to keep playing there,since its not alot of loot?????

+2 on Rogue's comments. It's just business. Keep you and your band solid. Ignore his comments and reach out and get as busy as you can.

Often in the music business, it simply comes down to where you are on the food chain.

As your popularity grows and you are more in demand by other promotors then you will be able to get more money and a better spot on the bill and it will just be business.

Well thank you for all the great advice with basically telling me to chill out. I took what you all said to heart and did as advised...here are the results...

That night we showed up, told him thank you for the chance to play there again, and apologized for all the BS that has be stewing around for the past few weeks. He said forget about it, and that he was anxious to hear us. After the first band started he approaced us and asked us to headline do to some time conflict with the band that was suppose to headline. So we kindly switched spots with them and had the best crowd response of the night. The promoter then came outside while we were loading up to go home and said he'd be in contact soon because he loved it. Said we were a completely different band from last time and that really enjoyed all our newer music.

Then I get a text message from my bassist this morning with even better news...the same promoter had hit us up on our website asking us to open for Flaw who will be coming to town. I was floored!!! We went from being on his back burner and a band he couldn't say anything nice about to basically his favorite in a matter of one night...and then he hooks us up with another great show with a big act!!!

Anway, just wanted to share my great news with everyone. Thank you again for helping me not make a complete @$$ of myself.

I'll sound like I'm coming in from left field with this question, but here it is:

Do you guys have a local of the A.F.M. union that you could join? And if so, what would the working pay and conditions be like in that area?

I'll sound like I'm coming in from left field with this question, but here it is:

Do you guys have a local of the A.F.M. union that you could join? And if so, what would the working pay and conditions be like in that area?

I'm not sure what the A.F.M. is or stands for...probably a bad thing that I don't know, but my bad.

Back