First Few Days Playing Again

MoreBeer

Silver Member
Well, yesterday and today were my first days of actually trying to play again after 15 years of down time from drumming.

At first just worked my way around the kit for a few hours getting some sort of feel back. Then progressed into playing to music such as some Stevie Ray Vaughan, AC/DC, BTO and even a few Blues Brothers tunes I like.

Needless to say, it wasn't too pretty. Although better than a newbie....at least I think so.

This is going to take some time. Practice pads are now on my shopping list.

On another note, I forgot how loud these things are. LMAO!

15 years of downtime, not playing. That's nothing. I took 17 years off. And I've now been back at it for a little over a year now.

Plus, I've just started taking lessons a few weeks ago.

The basics come back to you like riding a bike. The more complex stuff will take a little more work.

Re: LOUD! During my long "layoff," I always had an e-kit around, but didn't play very much. When I came back to acoustics, yeah, there's really no way around it -- drums are LOUD!

Man, Danny still has it!

Take the time to build up your body while protecting what's left of your hearing.
I did basically the same thing as you for a decade and was shocked at how much information had become available for free to the masses.
Check out Vic Firth's website as well for educational material on playing rudiments and drumset playing.
Have fun and keep up the enthusiasm.
PS cool avatar.

Man, Danny still has it!

Take the time to build up your body while protecting what's left of your hearing.
I did basically the same thing as you for a decade and was shocked at how much information had become available for free to the masses.
Check out Vic Firth's website as well for educational material on playing rudiments and drumset playing.
Have fun and keep up the enthusiasm.
PS cool avatar.

Yeah...have been living on YouTube lately sucking in the info. The young drummers today have no idea how good they have it with all the info and videos on the web. Its just insane. Back when I started there was nothing, just some garbage books that would bore someone to death.

I did watch that Danny Seraphine video. The guy can still play....and that's an understatement.

Rookie. I went 16 years without playing. Kids grew up and I got back in the saddle in 2003 at age 41. Played for a month to regain some drum set competence and went out for an audition. Got the gig. Will never stop playing again until the body quits on me.

Record a video of you playing but don't watch it.
Come back in 3 months and make another one and compare it.

Record a video of you playing but don't watch it.
Come back in 3 months and make another one and compare it.

Great idea! I'm better today than just a few days ago. Unfortunately I can only play when my dog, a small 8 pound yorkie isn't in the house. She's frightened by everything. The drums would trigger a heart attack.....no kidding. Luckily the wife takes her to my daughters just about everyday.

I did not play for more than 30 years. Started back again 3 1/2 years ago. I feel like a much more cerebral drummer but physically, I am not quite back to the skills I had when I stopped. Yes as everyone says, protect your ears. I NEVER play my drums without some sort of protection.

Back