Welp my drumming is done for 6-8 wks!

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Had a cycling accident on Sunday. Ended up taken to the hospital in an ambulance. Broke the radius by my wrist, chipped the ulna by the wrist, dislocated those bones up into my hand. Have a plate and 7 small screws in the plate to repair my radius. In a splint for 2 weeks then start pt and get an air cast. I really screwed up! Drumming and mountain biking this summer are pretty much done :-( Oh and of course it has to be my right hand!

Bummer. That must be very frustrating.
Take this opportunity to work on your left hand on the pad, at least.
Get well soon!

I feel your pain. I sprained my wrist pretty badly last spring. Granted it was just a sprain, but it was very frustrating not being able to do the things I love. Like you, it's drums and mountain biking for me too.
I was unable to play drums for about 4 weeks. During my time off I did anything I could that didn't involve my right wrist. I would advise you to take this time to work on your feet. Learn heel/toe, constant release, whatever other methods are out there.
And I know it sucks, but listen to the doctors. Don't play until you've been cleared to do so. I felt pretty good after a while and thought I would try some practice pad stuff and I paid for it. Lots of pain...
If it's any consolation, you will probably be back on the bike before you can play drums again so hopefully the summer isn't totally ruined for you. Then again, if you're from Kona, I highly doubt your summer is ruined if everyday is 85 degrees.
You can also take the time off to work on a training plan for next year if you do any racing. That way you will be going into next season with a well established base.
Good luck and take it easy.

man that sucks! i hope you get back to drumming relatively soon.

mountain biking and drumming are not compatible! i've done a lot of mountain biking and i still do, but i'm a lot more careful now, and it's all because of drumming. i do several action sports, but mountain biking is by far the most dangerous. if i were to break a wrist or a collarbone my band would be dead in the water. all shows would have to be canceled, unless they could find a sub who'd be willing to learn about 40 songs on short notice with minimal pay.

If your left hand is ok, then you can start an intensive left hand practice routine! Then, when you come back, you'll be ambidextrous with your hands. You may not want to do that, but I'm just saying... When I broke my right hand, I sat at a practice pad with my left for about 4 weeks. Now, they're pretty close to being the same.

Also, if your legs and feet are still in working order, you can practice extra with them! Sit down with the PAS 40 and start working on learning them with your feet, it will work wonders, and is brutally hard. Give it a shot ;)

As a drummer and cyclist, I feel your pain! Now would be a great time to get your hands on some great old music collections and do some quality listening. You could get to know some of the classic masters real well.

Ouch!!

Well, that sucks.

But (as others have mentioned) you can look it like an opportunity. Now is the time to work on your left hand!

Take a deep breath. Let the two weeks pass, then do the PT. Time will fly. Best of luck.

Had a cycling accident on Sunday. Ended up taken to the hospital in an ambulance. Broke the radius by my wrist, chipped the ulna by the wrist, dislocated those bones up into my hand. Have a plate and 7 small screws in the plate to repair my radius. In a splint for 2 weeks then start pt and get an air cast. I really screwed up! Drumming and mountain biking this summer are pretty much done :-( Oh and of course it has to be my right hand!

Ouch .. sorry to hear. Been there .. experienced that.

How about wiping your a$$ with your left hand .. that's an interesting task isn't it? Washing dishes? Keeping the pan still while you scrub with your left .. ugh.

All in all .. when I was done and able to use my right hand again, I found my left hand was stronger .. and more dexterous than it was before. Trying to find a silver lining for ya .. good luck. =)

man that sucks! i hope you get back to drumming relatively soon.

mountain biking and drumming are not compatible! i've done a lot of mountain biking and i still do, but i'm a lot more careful now, and it's all because of drumming. i do several action sports, but mountain biking is by far the most dangerous. if i were to break a wrist or a collarbone my band would be dead in the water. all shows would have to be canceled, unless they could find a sub who'd be willing to learn about 40 songs on short notice with minimal pay.

Didn't happen off road unfortunately :-( was running my dog while i ride which she has been GREAT at she hangs right next to me, something spooked her and she cut across the front of my bike. Went down on blacktop and concrete, lot's of roadrash on left knee,shoulder,arm and face.

Travis Barker dealt with a similar kind of thing after being in a plane crash...

...and it didn't stop Rick allen when he lost his entire left arm from a car crash.

...it shows you shouldn't let an injury like that stop you....

...it is important to still keep your mind on drumming and to still practice with the rest of the limbs...

...otherwise you'll emerge from recovery weaker instead of stronger.

Back